You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Moonshine" started this thread

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, May 7th 2010, 3:05pm

Constipation!

Hi all, I am after some words of wisdom :)

I have just started to wean G by giving her a few bits of baby rice/banana/veg puree. She seems to be constipated poor little mite and hasn't been properly for 2 days (usually it's several times a day).

I've tried the obvious cooled boiled water and massage which I am sure will work eventually - but not sure if I should cut her solid food out for a while? She's not that intersted in it today (probably because she's uncomfortable).

Any advice most gratefully received biggrin2

Moonshine

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, May 7th 2010, 6:36pm

There's some advice on constipation relief in this thread Constipation but if it was me, I'd be tempted to cut out her solids for a while. It sounds as though its her way of telling you that her digestive system isn't quite mature enough for them yet.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Friday, May 7th 2010, 6:45pm

Moonshine i wont pretend to be an expert as a 1st time mum as well but dont you think she is a bit young to wean? I know its very tempting to wean at 4 months or so but i waited till B was 6 months & i am so glad i did. She has came on really fast with what she can eat & is already on 3 chopped meals a day plus her BFs as well already. She has tolerated all foods really well & progressed from purees in less than 2 weeks but i think thats because age wise she was ready.

As for the constipation it is often a problem when you start weaning, something which B is suffering from periodically despite the masses of fruit & veg she is having ?( But i am able to give her natural remedies such a good old prunes since she is older but that WOULD NOT be advisable for your LO. I believe you can give a mixture of brown sugar & water (sorry not sure quantities) to young babies as B never had constipation till after 6 months as she was BF. Hope i have been of some help x
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SCOTTIE" (May 7th 2010, 6:47pm)

Friday, May 7th 2010, 8:55pm

Thank you Bubble and Scottie for your replies.

I totally agree that at four months she is being weaned early, I had every intention of waiting the full 6months! To be honest I started as I really couldn't keep up with her demand for milk, she has been drinking between 7-9oz of hungry baby milk every 2.5-3 hourly and I have really been struggling to make her last 2.5 hours most feeds. She has also started to wake twice again in the night and drinking the same amounts then. She's been ok for the past week constipation-wise on just one or two portion of solids a day (baby rice and banana) and yesterday on the advice of the HV I added a 3rd veg portion. She's been lasting longer between feeds and seems a lot more satisfied with the solids added, I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! Molly on the other hand is perfectly satisfied with milk so she's the easy one!

I think I will go easier for a while, I am in no doubt she needs something extra so I will play it by ear and perhaps just give 1 porion of thin baby rice when she seems her most unsatisfied after a feed. I will continue trying to pacify her with water! Thankfully since my earlier post, she has "been" and is now tucked up in bed after a very large supper!

It's confusing this feeding malarky :snigger:

Moonshine

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Friday, May 7th 2010, 9:01pm

Evening!

I was told to dilute a little freshly squeezed orange juice with water - 1 part oj to 7 parts water - it works a treat!

I'd say hold back on the baby rice a bit - could be clogging her up. Or just add a little baby rice to a fruit puree?

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Friday, May 7th 2010, 9:17pm

Thanks Pootle :)

Moonshine

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Friday, May 7th 2010, 10:01pm

Moonshine i wouldnt give her the fresh orange/water mix at her age. I know another mum who gave this to her baby (under 6 months) on the advice of a HV & she was really poorly with it.......basically it gave her profuse diarrhoea as her system just couldnt cope with it . Her GP was really angry when she told him it was on the HVs advice.
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]