You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "daisybells" started this thread

Reg: Feb 23rd 2009

Sunday, May 16th 2010, 7:00pm

New to weaning/giving up boob - help

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me any tips, my girlie is 23 weeks and ive exclusively breastfed, now its getting to 6 mnths i plan to give up the boob and follow the baby led weaning approach which im really looking forward to trying, Ive found that there is loads of info re breastfeeding but none on how to give it up!

I got some Cow & Gate 6mnths + formula but not sure how to introduce it as I know its a gradual process, Im not sure what feeds to swap and then how many bottles to give per day and how much etc. I would like her to be used to the formula for when she starts on food so its not all change at the same time

Any help would be appreciated.

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Sunday, May 16th 2010, 8:00pm

Hi there Daisybells

Really pleased to see you are looking in to the baby led weaning approach, I did this with my boys and it has been really successful. With baby led weaning it's really difficult to know how much food your baby actually eats and in the early days I will be honest and say that they hardly eat anything and they definatley don't eat as much as spoonfed babies. Because of this breastfeeding alongside baby led weaning is reccomended, the reason being that the baby can take as much or as little milk as they need as opposed to us the adult dictating it. Some meals they will eat more and will therefore take less milk and sometimes they can eat less and so therefore need more. This then makes it hard to gauge how much milk you would need to give them in a bottle where as with breastfeeding they would take as much as they needed if this makes sense. Have you considered to continue to breast feed alongside BLW?

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, May 16th 2010, 8:27pm

Can i join in this thread please? Weaning is a few weeks away for us but i will also be giving Blw a go. I read the gill rapley book a while ago and will dig it out again. I know what you are saying about bf indie but i really do want to move to formula. Whilst we got the latch sorted after a few weeks so it has been pain free i have given up hope of ever enjoying it. Even at 4 months martha is still not any quicker and likes to feed with big pauses. It has taken much persevering to get her to take a bottle of ebm without fuss and even tho we are there now i have never had decent time out. And of course my huge leaking issue means much sleep deprivation! I have to go back to work in jan and am determined to make the most of the latter half of the year with my little girl which, for me, means moving to formula so i can share the feeding burden and dry up my supply to get more sleep! I think i can last out until 6 months but will go completely crazy if i bf beyond that especially with Blw where i would still need to bf so much. So, after that waffle, i too am looking for some advice from someone who has tried Blw and moved to formula. X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, May 17th 2010, 8:11pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help, but thought I'd add our experience. When we weaned L, we were keen to do a more BLW approach. However, to begin with, we did do a mix of spoon feeding, and offering lots of finger foods alongside. The day we started weaning, I swapped the afternoon bf to a ff. L gave up the late am bf by herself. As the days went on, we gave more finger food, and really tried to move towards a BLW approach, with L feeding herself. I did the morning and bedtime bf until 8 and half months. We did a 10pm ff for a couple of months, which we've now stopped. L is now 9 months. She has a morning, mid pm and bedtime bottle of formula. In the last couple of weeks or so, her self feeding skills have come on leaps and bounds, it's amazing. She now, more or less (give or take a yogurt, or a bit of ready brek!!), feeds herself every meal. Lunches are usually sandwiches, cheese on toast, scrambled/boiled egg, fruit etc. For tea, she has whatever we eat! Tonight she fed herself spaghetti bolognaise, messy, but she loved it! And H and L both sittting eating their meal, means I get to eat mine! Breakfasts, we still do ready brek or weetabix, followed with fruit, but am buying some bite sized shredded wheat this week, and think we'll be moving over to a more finger food type brekfast too.
I do like that L will still have a yogurt from a spoon, as there are times when it's good to have that flexibility, and so I will keep doing a bit of spoon feeding, so she is used to it.

In regards to her milk intake, I'm wary that milk is still an important part of her daily intake. She eats alot, but like I say I'm mindful she still needs milk!....I've adjusted the amount of milk slightly, she has about 16oz formula, over the day, and I know she also gets dairy sources in her diet. Over the past few weeks, I've tinkered with the amout she has at each feed. She has 4oz on waking, and has her breakfast shortly after. Mid pm she has 5oz, and 7oz before bed. I reduced 2 of her bottles, when she was taking more food, but like I say, have tried to get a balance between her milk, and her food, adapting as she does.

So, we have done a gradual, sort of half and half approach, both with the food, and swapping to formula, over a couple of months or so. At 9 months though, I would say L is more or less doing BLW, and it is working well alongside ff. I think the key for us has been taking it slowly, us all getting comfortable with the approach, and adjusting food/milk intake as we've gone along.

Watching L eat her food now, and how happy she seems, I really feel this was such a positive way to wean L,and really hope you enjoy it with your LO's.

xxx

<

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 3:33pm

I can't offer any advice as I'm doing BLW whilst still bfing however I have found this forum quite useful, and there are lots of mums on there who are doing ff with BLW.

http://www.babyledweaning.com/forum/ **Link not endorsed by FZ**
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 4:05pm

Thanks ladies! Really interesting to hear your experience compley and i will check out that link jessica. I am now thinking about replacing the early eve feed with formula (M is almost 19 weeks) and take it from there. I think we will, realistically be doing a combination of spoon and Blw - making it up as we in along to suit us as you have done compley. This is probably a dumb question but my experience of giving m a bottle of ebm is that she only takes what she wants. So even tho we put a bit more than 6 oz in sometimes she will take as little as 3oz and other times the whole lot, i guess similar to what she does at the breast. I am expecting her to do the same with a ff - is that other people's experience? Also i will do as i do now and not feed her at set times but when she displays hunger signs, roughly every 3 or 4 hours. Is that what everyone else does? Just that people talk about ff babies taking more because they don't control it but if you only feed when hungry and let them stop when they want, how is that? X

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

• "daisybells" started this thread

Reg: Feb 23rd 2009

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 7:48pm

Thanks ladies, any info is really useful.

I tried to give lo a bottle of formula the other night as her last feed (well hubby tried to as i didnt want her to be distracted by my lovely smelling milk boobs) and it didnt go well, wouldnt take it at all and got upset so i gave her boob, I just thought oh well never mind, try again another time..

Tried another bottle of formula this afternoon - still not happy with it and cried, she has taken a bottle of expressed milk about 3 times in the last 6 months so i know she can take a bottle

Im still doubting myself about what to do, whilst pregnant it was all - "breastfeed for the first 6 months to give your baby the best start etc" now it seems like I feel guilty for wanting to stop at 6 months, (dont get me wrong I love breastfeeding and was really emotional the other night whilst hubby was trying to give her the bottle) but I think now i need to start putting myself back together

Maybe I need to express some and get her used to taking bottles more often?

And why has it gone by so quick???????!

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 8:07pm

Jen, most of the time L will guzzled back her milk. However, when she doesn't want it all, that's fine, we just leave it. The same with food, (it's rare!), but sometimes she doesn't seem quite so hungry. At the moment, with milk and food, L tends to have a longer gap between breakfast and lunch, and shorter gaps between mid pm bottle, tea and bedtime bottle. I think though at this age they do seem to have quite a bit during the day, but I think we are getting the balance/amounts right, so she's not getting too much, and is getting all she needs. I imagine by about 12 months we'll be down to 2 bottles, with a couple of snacks in between meals....that's a bit of a digression, it's just an idea of how often L eats/has milk.

Your approach to it all sounds good, and hopefully it will be a relaxed and enjoyable experience for you and M.

daisybells, it can be really emotional, when you decide to start weaning from the breast. Just wandered, if you've tried/it may be worth trying, giving/offering a bottle once a day, at the same time each day? Over a few days she may get a bit more used to it, and by doing it at the same time each day, this may help? I remember with H, when we had a few issues with him taking a bottle, I offered it as the first feed of the day, as having just woken, he was often hungry and ready for milk/keen to feed...I don't know if it was that, but after a day or so, he was happy to have the bottle, and then we swapped the other feeds.

xxx

<

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "compley" (May 18th 2010, 8:12pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 8:12pm

Daisybells - when did you last give a bottle of ebm? Like you say, may be worth doing that regularly for a while first. We have had terrible trouble getting m to take a bottle without tears but are finally there. I've got a fair bit of ebm in the freezer but think i might try a ff this week based on your experience. Don't want to pin my hopes on formula at 6 mths only to have them dashed! Good luck x

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, May 19th 2010, 9:01am

Just that people talk about ff babies taking more because they don't control it but if you only feed when hungry and let them stop when they want, how is that? X

When DD1 went on to formula exclusively, I demand fed her with it as you are thinking Jen. It was slightly difficult to predict because you can only make up so much at a time. I would have several bottles of sterile water ready with around 3 or 4 ounces in them and add the powder just before feeding it to her. I would then just give it to her at room temperature. If she didn't want all of it, I would keep the rest for an hour or so, offer it again and if she didn't want it, throw it away. If she polished the lot off, I would offer more. I probably threw a fair bit away but to me, it was preferable to what some of my friends were doing which was stressing that 'she hasn't finished her bottle' and forcing it down (and having really fat kids in some cases), also it meant she was feeding as dictated by her appetite, which felt more natural to me. You cna start out doing this with the ready made carton at first too, but they are more expensive. I kept track of what she was having over a day and it usually worked out at roughly the same amount which I compared to what was suggested on the carton by the manufacturers for her age. I also did the same as you would do with any baby which was monitor how she was in herself, she was happy, playing and developing normally, weeing and pooing the required amount of times, therefore she was fine. Oh and following the all important line on the weight chart!

Its worth remembering that a baby can have milk (ebm or formula from a sippy cup as well as a bottle) from around 4 months of age so that might be an option worth trying for those of you struggling with getting a breastfed baby to take a bottle.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Wednesday, May 19th 2010, 10:12am

Great, thanks mrs j - good to hear it is possible to do this with ff. For ease will start off with the cartons and see how much she takes. Feel a little sad that i can't do the bf much longer as m has been thriving on it but i have been ill recently which is very unlike me and i know is down to sleep deprivation. If only i could plug those leaks! I stopped expressing in the middle of the night a few weeks ago but still the milk pours out, soaking hand towels galore night after night. M needs more stimulation now and a tired, ill mummy is no use to her. Will let you know how we get on with the formula - is the aptamil close to breast stuff still the one to use with a baby of her age? X

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, May 19th 2010, 10:33am

Aptamil was what I used without any problems and it seems to be the most popular brand amongst the mums I know. Sometimes there's a bit of trial and error with finding a brand that suits your baby but its a good place to start. Be warned that nappies can smell more erm 'interesting' on formula compared to breast milk! I have heard of medications that can stop your milk but I don't know whether they are still used nowadays (DH's gran talked about it when her babies were little). Might be worth talking to your GP about it once yu hav egot her established on formula if you are still squirting everywhere (Oh the glamour!). I'm sure Bell's or Fi'smum will have more up to date knowledge. Its normal to feel sad about having to stop bf for whatever reason (I still do about DD1) but don't forget that you had difficulties initially and overcame them and have been able to give her the very best start in life. You should feel very proud of yourself.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 4:00pm

Ooooh, this is a good thread.

Today I've been looking into BLW (even though its 3 months down the line!) as I really hope to do this with O despite her being ff. I feed her on demand and she will only take what she wants to take. I've just upped her bottles to 7oz but if she only wants 5 thats all she'll take.

I love the idea that she'll feed herself and get used to textures and more solid food.

DH weaned his boys the 'normal' way so I'm trying to convince him that BLW is the way to go.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 8:20pm

I am reporting back with the good news that martha had her first bottle of formula last week and she took it without any problem. Poo was a little interesting the next day but i have no issues with that. My plan is to switch the early eve bf to ff when we come back from hols - m will be 5.5 months then. Will see how that works and take it from there. Daisybells - did you have any more luck with the bottle? X

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 8:39pm

Congratulations Jen on getting M to take a bottle of formula, I've been trying to get J to take some but it seens he doesn't like the taste (at least that's what he's telling me) but he's started to drink a little water with his solid meals after I started drinking out of his sippy cup! He likes to watch me drink out of it then I give it to him and water goes EVERYWHERE but he does also drink very small sips.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

JENSQUI

Megastar

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 7:33am

That is good if will take a cup grace. I tried m with some water in one at the weekend when it was really hot. She didn't get upset but she didn't take any water either - just decided it was another teething toy and gave it a good gumming! I am not worried about that though - she has plenty of time to used to that and i know from perseverance with the bottle that we will get there eventually. Are you absolutely sure it is the formula and not the bottle? I have now come across quite a few babies who have previously taken a bottle ebm but haven't been given one regularly and then refuse it when tried again. I know you aren't able to express but if you want him to take formula it is probably worth persevering with. We tried every bottle going from m being 4 weeks old. Back then she wouldn't take the breastflow one but now she will, fussy madam!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 10:26am

Breastflow bottles are good ,aren't they. Lily takes ebm regularly with them, no problem at all.
Love the pic of Martha in your signature Jensqui - she's gorgeous!!

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Friday, May 28th 2010, 8:35am

We had to opt for breastflow bottles as Will would not tolerate 'normal' ones. He did have a couple of bottles of ebm early on but I stuggled with expressing so didn't carry on with it so when he reached 6 months and I wanted to switch to formula he refused the bottle. I tried several ones before I found breastflow and he took them immediately, I can't recommend them enough.

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy: