You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "BellaLove" started this thread

Reg: Nov 7th 2008

Children: None

Tuesday, June 8th 2010, 10:19am

What to buy if breastfeeding?

Hi Gals,

I am hoping to breastfeed. xfingers
As a little girl, I remember holding my dolls at my boobs pretending to feed them!

I hope and pray I can? If I perservere should I be able to do it? I mean in the old days there was no such thing as formula so I figure everyone can produce milk, right?

Anyway, if I am planning on breastfeeding, do I need to buy bottles/formula and a steriliser just in case?
I will eventually try pumping but if and only if I master the boob first... :P

Thanks!
x
XXX BellaLove XXX

Feb '10 xfingers Hoping it sticks! xfingers

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Tuesday, June 8th 2010, 10:39am

I really hope to BF too but I have also bought bottles and friend giving me a steriliser and breast pump as once BF is established I would like to express too. I definately do not want to introduce bottles to babies unless I can't BF. If needs be I would like them syringe fed as once you introduce bottle they may never latch on. I think my hosp really supports this. My mum got us bottles I could not believe how expensive they are but she got them half price in boots so look out for offers. Good luck x

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 8th 2010, 10:46am

Hi ladies

Half the battle of breastfeeding is a real determination/stubborness to WANT to do it so keep that in mind and you'll no doubt succeed!

This thread has loads of advice on what you might need to equip yourself with.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

• "BellaLove" started this thread

Reg: Nov 7th 2008

Children: None

Tuesday, June 8th 2010, 3:13pm

Thanks girls!
That thread answered it all! I am going to be one of those that doesn't buys and tries to perservere. EEk!x
XXX BellaLove XXX

Feb '10 xfingers Hoping it sticks! xfingers

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 8:43pm

I agree with Bubble, you have to really want to and be prepared to stick to your guns and persevere and it will come, if you have problems in the first few weeks (not everyone does) then remember that if you keep at it then by the time baby is 3 months old you'll probably be able to bf upside down in the dark if the situation should call for it:).

In addition I would also advise getting a really good book on the subject (I had "So that's what they are for" which was really good) so you know the theory of the basics and what to expect and also scout out any bfding clubs/support services in the area in advance so you know what support is available.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 8:50pm

Have a read here My Twin Breastfeeding Experience BellaLove. Obviously aimed at mums' of twins, but Roxy has the right attitude.

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 9:11pm

Hiya

I wouldn't go mad and buy everything. I wanted to Breastfeed and tried & tried & tried,had extra help at home from MW etc and it just didn't work out unfortunately,not for the want of trying. LO had a tongue tie and couldn't latch on but i did manage to express for just a short time. I did buy one pack of bottles before i had him just incase then i bought everything else i needed after the BF not working out.

Good Luck with it hope it goes well for you!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 10:14pm

I would say that unless you live in the middle of nowhere then don't buy anything other than a tube of lansinoh. Anything you need can be acquired quickly enough on the high street, a retail park, supermarket or from the internet. 10 days after m was born and i was sure i would continue Breastfeeding i had worked out what would make it all more comfortable and therefore achievable. the postman delivered bits and bobs in the coming days. A glider chair and widgey cushion have been as useful for me as any book or bf group but most people would say they are unnecessary - only you will be able to tell what you really need x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Saturday, June 12th 2010, 10:19pm

I didn't buy anything, the only thing I ended up getting when my DD was a few weeks old was a breast pump, which I've never really got on with.

I am also one of those people that had no problems at all.

Good luck!

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13