You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ginger74

Superstar

• "Ginger74" started this thread
  • Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 2:09pm

For how long to sterilize?

I've read this in Internet (babycenter. web site) and was determined to do it until DD is year old (she is 8 and half months old at the moment):

"It is certainly necessary to sterilize bottle-feeding equipment for at least your child's first year. Although you may think sterilizing is rather pointless when your baby is putting all sorts in his mouth, an infant's immune system is still immature and susceptible to infection between the ages of six and twelve months and the bugs that stick to milk curds in partially-cleansed bottles can be particularly nasty."

BUT today my sterilizer got broken :bawl: (and I have no idea where to buy another one in Germany/moved not long time ago) so I used a pan and ah I don't know how it is called - flat "moving" :) panel with holes you can use to steam food - anyway it worked very well.

For how long did you sterilize? Should I continue?

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 7:46pm

I think it is generally advised to sterilise at least the teats/nipples for the first year as they have small areas inside them with restricted airflow that bugs could multiply in - the bottle bit is usually easier to clean so is less critical to sterilise. If you don't want to get another steriliser then you can keep on steaming them or you could get some steriliser tablets (I'm assuming they are as easy to get in Europe as they are here) then you can throw everything in a bucket full of sterilising solution for 15 minutes (or of course you could leave them in until your next feed).

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 7:48pm

As I'm only sterilizing the odd bottle every now and then I use the pan method rather than a sterilizer. My pan sounds the same as yours (lid with holes) and I usually let the stuff boil for 5 minutes. Have never had any issues, poorly tummy, etc so I am sure it is fine!

personally I never liked to use Milton because I felt it was putting chemicals into my LO's body, but that's just my preference.
xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JENSQUI" (Jun 10th 2010, 7:49pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE