You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mavis

• "Mavis" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, June 26th 2010, 7:37pm

Car seats and flights!

Oh my fairy head is in a spin!

We are probably taking the girls on a 7 hour flight when they are about 7 months old.
We haven't booked anything yet, but the general info I've got from different airlines is that for infants, we can either hold them and use a lap extender belt, use a carrycot the airline will supply, or use our own car seats.

I want to fly at night, and I want the girls to sleep, so holding them does not seem feasible.
I've checked out the dimensions of the supplied carrycots, and I think the girls will be too large for them (they are now 5 months old, and weighing in at 8 Kg!)

So that kind of leaves us with the car seat option. But it seems like the car seat has to be forward facing, a rear facing seat will not be accepted.
I've had a read of this thread:
Forward facing in car seat @ 4 months?
And its very clear that forward facing car seats are not as safe as rear facing ones.

So what should I do?!
The girls will definitely be heavy enough to be in a forward facing car seat by the time they fly, but I don't really want to spend such a large amount of money on seats that are less safe for them.

Thank you.....!
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, June 27th 2010, 11:23am

in a way you have probably answered your own question....rear facing seats aren;t an option on the flights so what is safer, the forward facing seats, holding them or the carrycot.
Might be better to think about what you are protecting them from.....what is the incident rate and what types of incidents are there? e.g. if 95% of incidents lead to fatal crashes then it won't actually matter what they are in. sorry, didn't mean to sound scary there, just that air travel is a different ball game to car travel really.

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, June 27th 2010, 12:37pm

If the plane goes down, I'm quite happy accepting our fate :snigger:

It would be most convenient to use front facing car seats, I would just hate to shell out for something less safe than we already have.
I guess we'll have to though.

Thanks J,
M
x

My Diary

Australia

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

Sunday, June 27th 2010, 12:42pm

Hey M!

My DH is an airline pilot and his airline insists that the baby comes out of the company supplied bassinets whenever there is turbulance or if seatbelt sign is on........Potentially, babies will be woken up all the time. To put it bluntly, if you have them on your lap, what would you do in a crash?? Lean forward?? With the forward facing seats....consider that you will (may??) have to buy a seat on the plane for them.

Safest option - forward facing car seat. Cheapest option - seatbelt extensions. They will also have limited bassinets. mmmmmm Let us know what you decide. :xxx3:

p.s - Ebay!
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, June 28th 2010, 6:14pm

Can you not get a forward facing car seat that goes from birth to 4 years for them and use it just for the flight? planes don't crash the same way as cars so the safety issues surrounding car seats don't really apply. Then you can put the seats into storage when you get home until the girls are over a year old and continue to use the rear facing ones you presumably already have in the car. Babies necks aren't thought to be strong enough to survive the whiplash from a forward facing car seat, regardless of their weight.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, June 28th 2010, 6:59pm

Thank you Rach and Grace
blowkiss

The more I think about this, the more I am dreading this flight!

We will catch a taxi to the airport, using our rear-facing seats because its a long journey and these are safest.
And we will have a car waiting for us at our destination with rear-facing seats.

So.. if I buy two forward facing seats, it means lugging them through the airport and finding somewhere to keep them before we lugg them back through the airport. I'm sure we'll already be weighed down with loads and loads of stuff. I can't imagine carrying two car seats aswell. It also means buying two extra seats on the flight, which doubles the cost of the flight to an obscene amount.

So I think we will probably end up holding a baby each on our laps... :sadface:
I don't feel very happy about this, the girls are very big and very active. If they are "out" on our laps, they will of course want to carry and play. It's impossible for one of us to hold two of them even now, so I can't figure out how we will get out bottles etc.

We're not booking the tickets for a little while yet, so more time to mull.
Thanks again everyone,

M
x

P.s. While mulling, is Britax the only maker of the car seats that go from 0 to 4 years?

My Diary

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, June 29th 2010, 6:18pm

How about getting 2 slings one for you and one for DH, you can have your hands free to play with them and feed them but they will be safe and secure (and it's somewhere for them to sleep).

Edited to say that the advantage of slings is they are out of the way of the seatbelt but you don't have to worry about dropping them.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, June 29th 2010, 7:07pm

Thanks Gracepants. We do have carriers and I think we will take them with us. They are rather heavy and wriggly babies, but at least we can have our hands free.
I practiced holding a Mavette today and pretended we were on a plane. We didn't last very long! :snigger:

M
x

My Diary