You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:06pm

Advice re feeding hungry twin babies/sleeping arrangements

Hello

I'm struggling a little bit with knowing the best way forward regarding feeding my two little hungry monsters.

Just a bit of background....

* born at 38.5 weeks
* boy - 7.9lbs and girl - 6.11.5lbs - breastfed from birth
* Jasper lost 12% by day 5 and Tegan 15% so back in hospital for assessment but only for an afternoon as they were happy we had (finally!) got good feeding routines established (basically had been told to stick formula in them because of latching on probs)
* both rising on the centiles steadily and at last weigh in (15 weeks), J was just under 91st and T just over 50th. (16lb 10 and 13lb 7)

They feed four hourly in the day, approx 6.30am, 10.30am, 2ish and 6ish (which is after a bath) bed @ 7.

We've tried waking them for a dream feed but more often than not they're too dopey and don't feed well and still wake at 3am ish anyway.

We've tried skipping the dream feed and they can go through to 3/4am but genuinely want a feed (i.e. can't be soothed with water, boob or dummy).

At the last weigh in on Friday my hv raised eyebrows at J's further centile jump and mentioned overfeeding :rolleyes: Now I've always been convinced you can't overfeed babies and mine have never been sicky babies and they can certainly let me know when they've had enough (turning heads away from bottle, pushing it out with their tongues etc).

So here's my dilemma. I have two babies who are still waking in the night and yet i've been told to reduce their intake ;( . J has between 210 and 240ml every four hours and T between 180 and 210ml. so four feeds in the day and one at the dream feed if we wake them or one in the middle of the night i.e the maximum J could be on is 5 x 240 = 1200 but i would say it's much closer to 1050ml.

I'm still breastfeeding when I can but if/when I do, it's only at start of feeds and just reduces what formula they have. I'm able to breastfeed in the middle of the night to avoid making formula up but they take so long to bf it would actually be quicker to make the formula, let it cool and get it down them! If DH does the middle of the night feed they both take full amoutns. I'm not sure why i don't just stop breastfeeding but I do find it reassuring that I have food on tap as and when they need it.

My hv said i could start J on baby rice at 17 weeks (week friday) - will this genuinely help get him through the night without piling on the pounds? Is he a candidate for full weaning? I did read somewhere that babies above 14lbs at 14 weeks I think it was are unlikely to go through the night until they're weaned. is that right?

i've tried hungrier milk btw but makes no difference to waking patterns so didn't bother. Is it worth another go? Those who have tried it, did you just use hungrier milk or just at certain feeds?

I'm so flipping tired these days I can't think things through logically :sadface:

i've put this thread in the MULTIPLES section as i'm also partly wondering if whoever is waking in the night is disturbing the other enough to want feeding too? They're in the same cot (it's cot bed size), still in our room. Just wondered what other twin mamas have done re sleeping arrangements. When have they moved babies to separate cots/nursery.

Thanksin advance and apologies for anything that doesn't make sense. One baby frazzled brain to blame! I've put the questions in bold for ease :)

I'd really just love any experiences/advice or any criticisms even if youthink something i'm doing is contributing to them not going through. I'm all the more frustrated as all of my antenatal friends' babies are going through 7-7 and it just makes me feel like a crap mother :thumbdown:
xxxx

p.s. aside from the frustrations above, I am still loving every second!
p.p.s here's a recent pic of them.

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:19pm

Hiya chick,

I'm not a twin mummy but O weighed the same as T and at 17 weeks was 15lb 6oz. I was told that hugrier baby milk doesn't always work and can make them constipated. O wakes up about 5 for a feed, every day (last night was 3 but that was more to do with DH snoring and waking her up early) She also has a full feed.

My HV told me to try give between 3 and 4 oz water if feeding less than 3 hours as she may be thirsty rather than hungry.

O is definately not ready for weaning yet. She's only just started putting her hands in her mouth and hasn't started putting anything else in yet. Do you think he's ready for weaning?

I didn't think it was possible to overfeed a breastfed baby either.

Don't worry about them not going through the night too much. O goes to bed about 8 or 9 and wakes up for her 5am feed.

:hugs:

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:33pm

Hi Flic

Thanks for this :cuddle Whilst I'd love to have them go through the night, my real problem is knowing what quantities are acceptable and if the hv was right to be concerned ? I don't want a fat baby though rather that than a scrawny one for sure!

My hv suggested we try water in the middle of the night but they seriously don't like it, so i sometimes put a scoop of formula in it with mixed results. She also suggested a touch of apple or orange juice in the water if they don't like it plain, enough to colour it but I haven't tried that yet. I genuinely feel when they wake in the night, they are hungry!

Is j ready for weaning? hmmm I think he probably is but not too sure on all the signs. His hand pretty much lives in his mouth and he chews on it all the time and I sometimes catch him staring at me when i'm eating!!

x

4 x ICSI BFN

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:35pm

It isn't easy is it! It sounds to me like you are doing a brilliant job. The trouble is all the conflicting advice you get from hv, doctors, gina ford and the like! I too am suffering from the frazzled state and finding it hard to make any useful decisions!
Would you feel comfortable trying the weaning with jasper? It might just do the trick and I guess if the hv is suggesting it it might be worth a go?
We have put oyr babies in the nursery as it is visible and audible from our room but they are still in their moses baskets. Could you try putting them in sepaprate cots just to see how it goes?
Sorry, probably not much help to you but I do know how you are feeling! :hugs:

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

Bry

Star

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:36pm

By the way, gorgeous photo! :D

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:42pm

I had to make the water warm otherwise O wouldn't drink it.

O stares at us eating and stuffs her hands in her mouth but I think thats more learning and teeth than being ready for weaning. Does he try to put anything else in his mouth??

O is on 7oz feeds every 3 hours now, it does go up and down but usually 3 hours until her last feed at 8 when she goes through till 5.

I feel the same, O is hungry in the night. It seems that by early morning she needs a feed. Her next one isn't usually till after 9 and then every 3 hours or so.

:hugs:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:46pm

We have put oyr babies in the nursery as it is visible and audible from our room but they are still in their moses baskets. Could you try putting them in sepaprate cots just to see how it goes?

Thanks Bry! We've tried all sorts of experiments! There's one cot in their nursery and one in our bedroom so to put them in separate ones would mean P needing to be involved which we may try at the weekend or i could just have a monitor for the nursery I guess. We have tried them separated before when they were a bit smaller and we had T in a moses basket in the spare room with P (too big for that now!). Jas did go through once but it was once out of a few tries. I guess it might be worth another try ?(

I think if my head said they're hungry at 3am then i would be fine to go make up the formula and feed them but I guess I'm being influenced with all those other babies sleeping 7-7 and given their good weights I just don't get it! i think i'm overanalysing :rolleyes:

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:49pm

Sorry I can't help but it is good to hear from you as I often wonder how you are gettng on. Jasper and Tegan are gorgeous and I hope you get sorted soon x

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Bry

Star

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:50pm

soo difficult not to overanalyse! Every baby is different so what works for one may not work for another. I met up with a neighbour who hs 8 month old twins who have slept throught the night since about 6 weeks. I felt very inadequate! She is a big fan of g ford and has followed the book to the letter... I guess we all have to try things and find out what works for our little individuals.

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:53pm

I had to make the water warm otherwise O wouldn't drink it.

I make it fresh from our flask of 30 min cooled boiled water so it's cooled until right temp for drinking. they still don't like it! :snigger:

7fl oz is 210 right? So how many feeds does O have in a day? I really don't want to go back to 3 hourly feeds and not sure they'd take it anyway. At the mo we have a super routine of feed at 6.30am then they happily play on the mat/under the gym till they doze off for half an hour to an hour. then feed at 10.30 (popmasters on radio 2 :snigger: ) and then have another play, lunch time nap at 12 till 2ish, feed at 2.30ish then we normally go for a walk in the afternoon before naked time/bath time and bed. I'm not sure changing their feeding patterns in the day is gonna help things long term.

J doesn't put anything else in his mouth but then not sure he has much available in the way of toys etc. they're not really holding anything just yet. I thought the hand in the mouth was just him finding his hands but who knows? If a spoonful of baby rice twice a day might help then I guess it's worth a try.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 12:57pm

She is a big fan of g ford and has followed the book to the letter

Well I follow her schedule to a degree though when I first read her book, it seemed that J and T were doing most of it themselves anyway! I think even following Gina's routines, 6 weeks is incredibly early. pretty sure she says they should be going through (still with dream feed) between 3 and 4 months so I've still got 11 days left really! :laugh:

I don't get how we can get them to go from 7pm to 3am but not from 10pm to 6am? So frustrating! X(

Sorry I can't help but it is good to hear from you as I often wonder how you are gettng on

Hi Kirstin! 27 weeks already! That's fab. Hope you're ok :)

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 1:01pm

Bry is spot on, every baby is different.

My friend's baby sleeps from 7 till 7. O sleeps from 8 or 9 till 5 for a feed and then till 9 or 10.

As long as your babies are happy and healthy (which they look like they are very happy and healthy on that pic!) then I wouldn't worry too much honey.

O has a feed at 5am, 9am, 12 or 1, 3 or 4 then 6, 7 and 8, sometimes missing out the 7. So about 6or 7 a day. Sometimes she drains the bottle, other time she'll have just 5oz, sometimes 6oz. God she eats a lot!!

I think it is finding hands chick, hands, teeth, feet, etc!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 1:13pm

I met up with a neighbour who hs 8 month old twins who have slept throught the night since about 6 weeks

forgot to say that whilst I'm surrounded by similar stories to yours Bry, I have also heard the horror ones of "oh mine didn't go through the night till 19 months" ..and worse!

God can you imagine???!!! :8o:

x

4 x ICSI BFN

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 6:23pm

Haven't had chance to read all the way through but M still doesn't sleep through. i am just thankful that when she wakes in the night she just feeds and goes back to sleep with no fuss....although it still takes her 45min for that feed!! She has always been a little above the 50th centile line and she has been on solids for a week but so far no change in her milk pattern and i wouldn't really expect there to be. she's always on the go so sometimes i think she is using up energy faster than i can get it in her! i know babies of all sizes, feeding and sleeping combos and can honestly say that i have not seen any evidence in those that weaning makes them sleep through or that being a bigger or smaller size does. early weaning is up to you but be aware that at such a young age J is likely to still have a tongue thrust reflex, it will probably take a while to get any food in him and the amount of calories he is likely to get through the food won't be very much.

sorry for such a quick post!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 6:47pm

My hv said i could start J on baby rice at 17 weeks (week friday) - will this genuinely help get him through the night without piling on the pounds? Is he a candidate for full weaning? I did read somewhere that babies above 14lbs at 14 weeks I think it was are unlikely to go through the night until they're weaned. is that right?

My girls are 18 pounds and 22 weeks, I'm planning to start weaning at 26 weeks. (So excited! :D )
They both sleep through the night (8-9 hours), so nope, you don't need to wean to get them to sleep longer. That's a myth. Plus weaning can create issues that does disrupt sleep, such as constipation. And even when you do wean, they'll still be filling up their tummies with mainly milk for the first few months.

I personally believe it is impossible to overfeed a baby. Your HV has wound me up by saying this, and by suggesting early weaning when there is good evidence it increases the risk of obesity and diabetes in later life.

I have noticed definite (and impressive) growth spurts by the girls, usually at different times, that can last for a few days. During these times we make sure they have lots of milk, more than usual but it never lasts. We're still on demand-ish / 3 hourly feeds, the bottles have 250 mls of milk but only rarely do they empty the bottle. They usually leave 50ml to 100 ml behind. And we use the ready made formula, its so quick to make up bottles (and better, its sterile, so can refrigerate the bottles for up to 2 days unlike milk made up from powder).

I'd go with what you think is best Duffster, you know your twinnies better than anyone.
Hope that helps,
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 7:24pm

Just a quick post from me to reassure you that young babies aren't designed to sleep through the night and that it's more normal for three month old babies to wake than it is for them to sleep through (regardless of what Ms Ford or other parents suggest). Their digestive systems are supposed to break down food quickly and easily therefore feed frequently. If you have one that does sleep through then great, you're very lucky and it's probably a personality trait rather than anything you did. The other explanation is that the food the baby is getting is taking much longer to break down due to high casein content (hungrier baby formula milks) and therefore their digestive system is having to work much harder. It's certainly convenient for parents but in talking about babies that are already over their centiles, I would question suggestions to feed a more calorific milk.

Babies that are a certain weight at a certain age may already be fed on milk that's too calorific. To then base weaning and even more calorific milk on that already inflated weight seems to just point to the number of children who are continually overfed and raise the question whether it was overfeeding that lead to the initial weight gain and whether the solution of more feeding is a good one?. It would seem more logical to expect babies to wake in the night, feed them a milk that's as close to breastmilk as possible (looking at whey and casein contents) and feed them when they're hungry.

I always worked along the theory that they can go an hour for every month of age to six months. So at 3 months I would be happy with waking every three hours. After six months, when baby is weaning and the meals are becoming regular, I would expect a good 8 hours. Still, I would be putting a 6 month old baby down at 6.30pm so that's still not 'sleeping through' by some standards as baby would be waking at 2.30am. I don't know about you but I found that having an evening to myself, the ability to eat a meal before it went cold and the chance to watch a bit of TV made it perfectly acceptable to then wake during the night for a feed.

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 7:51pm

Hey hon,

I love seeing new pics, they're adorable [zx075]

I've just written a long rambling post and deleted it, because it didn't really answer your questions or contribute much to anything lol - sorry I'm such a wool-brain. I do think it's easy for us lot to over-analyse and your instincts guided by the twinnies signs and communications are probably the most reliable way forward. I found out last week a formula to calculate how much feed babies should be given according to their weight in kilos and discovered that we were feeding W exactly the 'correct' amount because his little calorie-counter had determined it and bouts of apoplectic fury had ensured we attended to his needs!!! :snigger: I kind of think we'll somehow 'know' when it's right to wean by muddling along in the same way. (I've been advised to start now/soon with William and am resisting it because I don't reckon he's ready yet.)

Dunno if that's any help at all, just saying! :hugs: xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Scarlett

Superstar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 7:54pm

P.S

When I grow up I want to be Bells and be able to write a succinct, helpful, relevant post :thumbup: xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 8:04pm

Hehe - Scarlett you IS funny (and I remembered to color you in red (well done me :snigger: ) Can i have that calculation please? :D
)
Jen, Mavey and Bells - thank you thank you thank you - here are some fleurs :flowers:

I think in short you are all saying to hold fire on the ol' weaning process ?(..... I think my maternal instinct was thinking the same, hence me posting here not quite sure of the hv's *duff* advice - ( I do hate using that word :P )

AND again, in short, you are all saying, to wake in the night and to feed whatever baby wants is perfectly acceptable/normal/what babies do at 15 weeks of age. :yes:

That I should be grateful that they are in bed at 7 without rocking, shushing or the need to do anything :yes:

That sleeping from 7pm to 3am is good :yes:

and that i'm to carry on as i am, feeding when they want in the night and to continue as normal in the day. :smile:

Phew.......I'm feeling a lot better now :D :D :D

xxx

p.s. When i grow up I too want to be Bells and have a lot of clever FZ members as neighbours :snigger:
p.p.s Jensqui - just seen your new pic of Martha - isn't she too young to be taken on rides at Alton Towers :snigger:

Scarlett

Superstar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 8:15pm

Ooh I forgot to do YOU and now I remembered I don't know how to pick the right shaade from the little rainbowed circle up there 8|

The formula I was told was weight in kilos = amount of food in ounces they should have x 6 per day (I think :D )

So W was 5.23 kg and should be having around 5 1/4 ounces every feed since we feed him 4 hourly which is around the 155-160 we were giving!

I think you're doing fab by the way and should take a bow! xxx

By the way someone please correct me if I've said that formula wrong!

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Scarlett" (Jul 1st 2010, 8:17pm)

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 8:28pm

Hiya,

Bells is mega knowledgeable!!

Pleased you feel better now chick.

I think we all need a bit of reassurance every now and again. I know I do!!

And that Formula Scarlett is right I think, O was 7kilo's and is on 7oz feeds (again!)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 9:03pm

The formula I was told was weight in kilos = amount of food in ounces they should have x 6 per day (I think )

Oooo that's interesting sherlock

On Friday J was 7.54 and T was 6.12 and as I said above he takes 210 ish (7fl oz) and T 180ish (6fl oz).

But they only have 5 feeds a day.

So.....thinkthink.....am i actually starving him??? whoops3

Scarlett

Superstar

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 10:39pm

Gosh I don't know hon. Would he take a sixth feed? And no you're not starving him otherwise he'd let you know I'm sure :) is the calculation a general rule of thumb for so many weeks or up to a certain weight do you suppose? ?o( xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 7:48am

Hey Duffypoo,

I have been (and am still going through!) exactly the same with Georgie.

As for the overfeeding, I've had the GP, ENT consultant and Paediatric consultant telling me NOT TO WORRY about overfeeding, it is not possible in babies - despite G's fast leap up the centiles to the 91st. The only person to be concerned about this was the HV - GP friend told me to take no notice...

I have tried every which way to get G to sleep through, Including early weaning, which did not work. I fed her baby rice before bed from about 16.5 weeks - I'd say it gained us an extra hour for a couple of nights and then caused constipation so we held off again until 5 months.

At the moment M&G are both waking seperately, all through the night so I've been up at 12, 2, 4 and then up at 5... it's a living nightmare!! We've also tried water, milk, cuddles and the only way they'll settle is if Neil falls asleep with them on the sofa - but I'm not willing to do that as I don't want to encourage it!

I've also been playing round with the feeding schedules as I am weaning now, they're on 2-3 solid meals a day and were still feeding every 3 hourly! So, we've now got into a four hourly milk feed pattern (as I was so envious of yours :snigger:) with their solids 2hours after milk. The first few nights they slept like dreams, then they started to wake again. So, we have introduced a 5th milk feed again, which is now either as a dream feed or during the day if we do 3.5hr feeds. It's making little difference unfortunately. Of course as they're up through the night and fed, they're sleeping a lot during the morning and don't want feeding , which means we're then trying to cram their four feeds in before bedtime.

Sorry hun, not at all helpful! Ours have lulled us into a false sense of security for a good few months and now hitting us with the double whammy!!

Hope things improve Duffduff :xxx3:

PS: M&G are in seperate cots now, which gives them more room to wiggle and get limbs stuck through bars :snigger:

Moonshine

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Moonshine" (Jul 2nd 2010, 7:57am)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 9:31am

Ahhhh Moony - what a mare for you :( :cuddle You know my most common question i get asked by strangers is "do they feed at the same time" and my answer has always been "yes" and I don't really think i've been grateful enough for that. AND that they follow the same sleep patterns in the day and to the night to a degree as well. I will never complain again!

We tried Bry's suggestion last night of separate cots and moved a mattress into the nursery for P and I was in our room with Teegs. They both had a good dream feed at 10ish which rarely happens and then Tegan woke at 3.45am and Jasper at 5am. Both had good feeds and straight back to sleep and then slept to 7.30am and then P fed them shortly after. So not a bad experiment but didn't really achieve much. I think had they been sharing, Jasper would have woken with Tegan and only one of us had to feed but hey, you gotta try stuff!

I will hold fire on weaning Jasper but do have one more question (:rolleyes: ) I was looking at the Aptamil box and the guide for feeding based on weights and no. of feeds in 24 hours. for starters, they think 2-4 week old babies only have 5 feeds a day :pah ridiculous....but also, their quantities only go to max 7fl oz. For those who don't have Aptamil it says as follows:

Approx age

3-4 months
4-5 months
5-6 months

Approx weight

13.75lb
15.25lb
16.75lb

Quantity

180ml/6fl oz
210ml/7fl oz
210ml/7fl oz

Now J is already above their weight for a 6 month old baby so I'm happy he should be on 210 or more but do you think you can give a baby too much milk? I don't mean overfeeding I mean if they get to say needing 9fl oz or more, is that a sign that solids should be introduced?

I'm happy I've got a few more weeks before 8fl oz isn't enough but not sure i'll get to 6 months which is another 10 weeks or is it possible his growth will taper off slightly and so quantities of milk won't increase as frequently?

Thoughts anyone?

x

JENSQUI

Megastar

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 10:34am

Personally I don't think that wanting more milk is a sign that solids should be introduced but everyone has their own opinion on this.

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 12:09pm

I don't think I can add much to what all the other wise ladies on here have said (so why am I posting? Oh, yes, because I like sticking my nose in! :snigger: ).

Also, my experience isn't probably very helpful because a) I have a singleton and b) I breastfed him so I have no clue when it comes to all the fl oz and ml stuff.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to reiterate what some of the others have said, that introducing solids doesn't actually give babies more calories for a while. You have to remember formula / breast milk is AMAZINGLY calorific anyway - much more so than pureed apple / carrot etc. After all, if you were starving, would you rush off and eat a carrot?!

Also, there really is no truth to the idea that solids help a baby sleep through. L was sleeping through from around 5 monthsish and then started waking again a few days after we introduced solids at 6 months. He continued to do so - 2 to 4 times a night! - until about 10 months when I decided there was no way he could be hungry and started with the Pick-Up-Put-Down thing. It took a few nights but we seem to have got there now. I was, by the way, pretty much the only one in my NCT group of friends to have a baby who didn't sleep through - Oh, and he's never gone down at 7pm so we've never had evenings to ourselves. ;(

I think if J and T are only waking once then that's pretty good going, and the fact that they follow the same feeding and sleeping patterns is fab. thumbup I appreciate if you're exhausted that might not feel very useful, but you're doing FINE. Just hang on in there!

blowkiss
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, July 3rd 2010, 8:04pm

Hello duffydo!

No advice on the twin thing, obviously (!) but thought I would chip in about the not sleeping through comments. E didn't sleep through til she was well over 2 and A's hit and miss still (she's nearly 21 months - cripey, how did that happen?!). So the 'can you imagine them not sleeping through at 19 months', well yes! When I went back to work after having E DH and I were actually sleeping in shifts - I was like a zombie! Lack of sleep is no fun and I used to want to shout and cry when people would tell me about their babies sleeping through from 6 weeks!

My only advice is do whatever it takes. Sometimes its like musical beds in our house as A sleeps better with DH or me, and E often wakes up if she hears A or one of us wandering about! Don't care though as long as we all get some sleep.

Oh, my real, best, proper advice is to ignore everyone else who tells you all about their babies, what they did or didn't do etc - all babies are different, some are hungrier, some sleep better, some smile earlier, some walk before their 1st birthday but they all get to the same point eventually - and do what's best for your babies (and your sanity!).

x

ETS - lovely pic!
x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pootle" (Jul 3rd 2010, 8:05pm)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, July 5th 2010, 12:16pm

Thanks Jessica and Pootle - any advice from any mums is always appreciated :D - i popped it in here mainly for the sleeping arrangements part.

Well have had a mini break through with Teegs. Friday and Sunday she slept through i.e. from 10ishpm feed to 6.30am having gone down at 7pm as norm. Sat night she was fed in the middle of the night but hardly took anything so I *think* (hope!) we may be getting there with her. J is still a hungry wee fellow but then that's boys for you! :rolleyes:

We'll get there smile2

x

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 11:24pm

Well since my last post and for about two weeks now, both have been going through the night (7 - 7 ):D :D with just a small feed at 5am a couple of times. I think we will introduce a late night feed soon though as can't see how they can stay on what they are until they're weaned. Anyway.....it's just made such a difference to how I feel in the day. I think my body is still playing catch up and i'm not without something aching but hopefully with many good nights sleep, I'll start feeling human again!

I was chatting to a friend about Jasper's weight gain and centile jumping and she said something interesting which i'm sure must be true to a degree ; that at 7lb 9 Jasper was a very good size for a baby, let alone for a twin and that who's to say what he would have been had he not been fighting for space with another baby! that even at 37+ weeks, twin babies are not born the weight they were made to be and that over time they adjust to be that weight. I'm probably not explaining this very well but in essence i think i'm saying that although Jasper started on the 25th and is now nearly the 91st...it may be that he would've been the 91st from the off had he been a singleton...!!

I'm waffling aren't I? :rolleyes:

I'm going to bed now! :D

xx

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, July 26th 2010, 8:35pm

Chick, O started out on the 25th and is now almost on the 91st! I know what you're saying and I agree!

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, July 26th 2010, 9:10pm

The Mavettes jumped from something like the 7th and 11th (can't remember exactly) to around the 85th. I know babies are not really meant to jump across centile lines, but personally I think it takes a few weeks/months to know which centile the baby truly belongs on in the outside world.

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, July 26th 2010, 9:23pm

Mavis you are sooooo right. O is going to be a tall one, so its no wonder her centiles have jumped so much. DH is tall and she's going the same way, she'll be taller than me soon!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 12:53pm

I agree too! G has jumped from the 9th to the 85th and the paediatrician said there's still room for growth as she'll probably catch her head up on the 90th :snigger: It's just the HV who was a bit shocked at the jumps but, as you say they're measures for singletons. M has a slower jump from off the bottom of the scale to just above the 25th - but she's really started to chub out now she's eating solids so I imagine she'll be climbing further!

I've been playing around (again!) with our schedule - as I've started putting M&G down at their naturally sleepy time between 5-6pm, I introduced a bottle feed at 10pm as they were waking around 3am. It worked for a couple of days, but then they just continued to wake up anyway, so I've dropped it again as it was killing me to try and stay awake until 10pm :snigger: Mind you, we had a lie in this morning as they didn't wake until 4.40am!! 7.5 continuous hours of sleep - it was bliss!

Glad T&J are beign such well behaved babies for you Duffypants, what little stars! By the way, I had visitors last week and 7 year old Tiana saw the birth announcement card that you sent on our bookcase and she thought T&J were very cute biggrin2

Moonshine

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 9:44pm

I had visitors last week and 7 year old Tiana saw the birth announcement card that you sent on our bookcase and she thought T&J were very cute

Well then Tiana's observations would be very very true!!! :D :D

I was thinking again about centiles and stuff (as you do :rolleyes: ) and wondering why height isn't measured more often? Surely if the height/weight centiles are the same it's less cause for concern? Or do babies grow in length as they do in weight anyway???? I really have no idea!

x

4 x ICSI BFN

JENSQUI

Megastar

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 10:10pm

I am not sure that height and weight are that connected duffypants. M follows the 95th centile on height and 55th on weight. I asked at 4 months if they would measure M's height at our weigh-in clinic (I was just curious!) and the HV was more than happy to do it. Just as with grown-ups I would imagine there is a huge range of combinations in babies and probably depends on all kinds of stuff. I have always been sure that M was lean as she never stopped moving about. Since she has been sitting unsupported she has finally stopped kicking all of the time and, coincidentally or not, is getting chubbier.

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 10:55pm

I think centiles were invented to give mummies something else to worry about :raspberry:
Anyone who knows anything about babies can tell by looking at them if they're growing properly.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 11:06pm

I completely agree. Mine have never had their head circumference measured and were never once measured for height. They were weighed although goodness knows why!!! We're hardly going to starve them and I've never seen a newborn survive on chip butties!! You can tell by looking at any baby whether it's wasting away or grossly obese. Neither happens frequently fortunately.

Statistics, charts, guidelines and data :rolleyes:

It's pink, alert, nappy filling bundles of energy they need to be looking for!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, July 31st 2010, 8:36am

I agree actually, when O was measured at 7 weeks she was on the 9th centile, I measured her (albeit not very accurately)at about 4 months and I got her to be on the 91st centile! This was after the HV told me that O was gonna be short like me (er, not bloody likely with a 6'3'' husband!) Her head was just above the 50th and her weight was on 25th at 7 weeks. Now her weight is almost on the 91st and she looks long. But she looks healthy and happy. The HV was shocked at her centile jumps but seemed quite happy, especially when DH came with me and she saw the size of him!!

Its a shame they think that all babies are 'textbook'. Mine certainly isn't!!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE