You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, July 5th 2010, 12:27pm

Logistics of going on holiday with twins....(and two bigggg dogs!)

Any suggestions for getting away with one car when you have one driver, one adult passenger, two twins in back seats, two dogs in boot....and going away for a week?

Have thought of the following:

* roof box (not sure buggy would fit in one though)
* trailer (buggy would fit in it but expensive to fit tow bar)
* hiring a big car (short term solution, expensive and nothing to show for it)
* buying a double buggy/single buggies when there, shipping back home and then selling (hassle and would lose some money)

I think the long term solution will be a trailer as we'll get use of this other than for holidays (tip runs etc). We will probably get a bigger car at some point too but not entirely sure that the biggest 4x4 or MPV would even solve the problem, not that we could afford those anyway!!

Just wondered what other twin mums have done? I bet your cars were packed to the hilt even without two dogs right?

The dogs are very much part of our family and putting in kennels is not an option!!

Any advice?

xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, July 5th 2010, 2:03pm

Mine aren't twins but I do have two substantially bigger children and I can safely saythat this problem affects all parents of more than one child. My car is always packed to the hilt when holidaying. I have a fairly big estate car and there's no way I could fit two dogs as well as luggage in the boot even though it's fitted with Travall guards and dividers.

At least with two babies they're confined to small car seats and all rear passenger foot space can be used for luggage. Could you fit the buggies in this space? The other option is for you to sit in the back with the babies and use the front passenger seat for luggage.

Having towed trailers and caravans before I can say for sure that they do slow journeys down and make (those frequent) stops at service stations tricky (you need a double length so two spaces). I think I'd go for a roof box just for ease and convenience if I was driving a considerable distance and also had two children and two dogs to think about.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, July 5th 2010, 5:01pm

Not sure it's a twin question rather than a family question (might be worth moving this to the parenting section?) we went to france last year with two small children 20 months in age difference one was potty trained the other not - the dry one needed to stop and have a wee every hour and the other one slept the entire journey! Same with actually being out and about the youngest sat where I placed her while the eldest was running a mock and moaning about the journey! Honestly Duffy make the most of having two small children confined to car seats trying to get from one place to other whether with one, two or 10 children is HARD work - dogs added into that situation is a whole other ball game!!

Think you answered your own question you need to make more space so it's comfortable for you all I would hire a bigger car!

good luck :D

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, July 5th 2010, 7:06pm

I feel really stupid now :snigger: - thinking having two babies was a unique situation when obviously two children is no different!! :duh: (and Chilli yes, I'm sure i will look back in a few years time and think how bliss having sleeping babies in car seats was!).

Anyway, thanks for your input :D Those who know the Nipper 360 will get the difficulty on taking it away as it's incredibly deep - like about 22" so doesn't collapse like strollers/pushchair types. It just makes taking it away v awkward and certainly won't fit anywhere other than the boot and def not a roof box. HOWEVER...we're gonna opt for said roof box - I was really keen on a trailer till but it's such a lot for a tow bar and in any event can't be done till the end of the month! A roof box will come in handy whenever we go away I guess though I do think we will need a car with a bigger boot long term and the stroller is better than nothing.

I never thought going away would take so much organising and I'm shattered already and it's only Monday!! Is there a holiday check list on the site? I shall go and have a browse.... :hmm:

bigkiss
xxx

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Monday, July 5th 2010, 8:02pm

Just a thought, but do you really need a roof box........ could you get away with just roof bars?? Cheaper and you could strap the buggy (and maybe even a suitcase??) to the roof. If it's wet when you go away, nothing a few bin liners can't sort out (I've done this before and works a treat).

I have a small whippet and no baby as yet but I already have trouble getting 2 adults, a dog & travel crate and a week's worth of stuff for a caravan holiday in my 4x4, and that's with the seats down!! Once LO arrives I will most definitely be investing in roof bars.

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 7:42am

Do you want this moved to the parenting section? Think you may get more responses?

I'd say roofbox in your situation. My situation - going to stick with just the 2 kids and not get any dogs!!! ;)

And to echo chilli, make the most of them being small enough to not be needing to stop for a week, flicking raisins all over your car and asking 'how long til we're there'.....! I'm umming and ahhing about whether to start potty training A, but we're driving down to Disney in October and not sure if I can face the additional toilet trips so may wait.......!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 8:11am

We struggled to get a travel cot, double buggy (phil and teds) and luggage into our car. DH traded his in for an estate when DD2 arrived. I also advise hiring travel cots at your holiday destination and maybe think about getting a couple of cheap lightweight buggies for holidays when yours can sit up. Now its bikes and tricycles we need to squash in. Its amazing how much a family of four needs to go away for 3 days!

This has brought back happy memories of childhood holidays where we had the sleeping bags flat on the back seat and we sat on top with bits of luggage packed in around us. No we weren't strapped in but cars didn't come with rear seatbelts back then anyway. Baby wipes hadn't been invented so my mum had a wet face cloth in a plastic bag that we all shared if we needed it! How did we all survive?

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 9:16am

Would these be of any use - sorry if it's already been suggested, baby on nipple, so no time to read all replies!

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=204-2891

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6920.aspx

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "roxy7" (Jul 8th 2010, 9:17am)

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 9:20am

BTW we've solved it by buying a campervan (which is why I know about the rear storage thingy above, as our rising roof precludes a roof box). We don't have dogs but do have another kiddo. Going on our first camping trip tomorrow with babes 11 weeks....

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 2:26pm

hmmmm, do you know anyone who has a different (and more compact) double buggy that you could swap with for the duration of your holiday?
If I lived closer you could have used our Phil & Ted's which would definitely go in roof box when in carry bag.

xx

p.s. something a friend of mine with 3 kids does on holidays is for one of them to drive to destination with stuff and none or more children in car whilst the other one flies/gets the train!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JENSQUI" (Jul 8th 2010, 2:28pm) with the following reason: remembered something else!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 9:31pm

I like the look of that storage thingy Roxy - presumably it still requires a tow bar though?! I think we may need extra for a longer holiday and if we get a tow bar fitted that could be a better solution than a trailer so thanks for that! I would love to have a campervan - lucky you!!

Jen - i like your thinking and already beaten you to it :P. I do have a double stroller which will fit into the roof box. This buggy isn't a patch on the Nipper's manouvreability though and there certainly won't be long walks with it but we do have our baby carriers which are probably better anyway should we encounter any stiles!!

Mrs J - sadly no cots at this place we're going to but will definitely look out for that next time...and yes....am in awe of our parents ability to pack us and our gear into one car which were much smaller back then too!! In fact we went to Germany in a mini (mum, dad, three kids......one question.....HOWWWW??!).

I've piled everything into one room now. Just got to perform some magic formula to work out which bits are best going where! Wish me luck!

blowkiss

xx

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 8:36am

There's nothing for it Duffy - you'll have to get yourself a volvo estate!

I think careful packing is the key my mum used to get 3 kids, 2 large dogs (dalmation and boxer) and enough stuff for 2 weeks away, including food and a camping stove, into a Ford Cortina

Failing that you could cut 2 holes in your roof box for your doggies heads and stick them in it, think about it I bet they love sticking their heads out the window to get all the sniffs how much better would this be for them!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, July 9th 2010, 8:46am

How did our parents manage it? Well i think that safety issues were not so prominent then and there certainly were no car seats when i was little. So kids simply took up less room and we were packed around luggage rather than the other way round! X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 12:03pm

You're probably right Jensqui, I do remember that one of the dogs used to dribble terribly all the way up to our destination and the person in the middle used to get it all over their shoulder - this was always me because I was the youngest. The other dog used to fart nervously and gas the lot of us. One year the farty dog got into the provisions that mum had packed and ate them on the way up - mum was not pleased.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, July 10th 2010, 8:42pm

Mrs J - sadly no cots at this place we're going to but will definitely look out for that next time...and yes....am in awe of our parents ability to pack us and our gear into one car which were much smaller back then too!! In fact we went to Germany in a mini (mum, dad, three kids......one question.....HOWWWW??!).

Well, there's your answer - get your mum to do the packing!