You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JVA

Ace

• "JVA" started this thread

Reg: Jun 14th 2009

Children: Gorgeous little boy Henry

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 3:17pm

Hungrier Formula for Hungry Babies?

Hi,

From Day 1 our LO has been a very hungry baby, he was 8lb 3oz when born, did not lose any birth weight and weighed 8lb 9oz on day 10 - he is now 3 wks old.

We are feeding him Cow & Gate and he is having 120ml x 7/8 feeds a day, which is a bit more than it says 'on the tin'. Sometimes he is still hungry after a feed and we were wondering whether we should try him on the hungrier baby formula? Does anybody know what effect this has, is it simply more filling or does it reduce the number of feeds?

Is he too young to really go on the hungrier formula?

My health visitor is coming Monday so I will ask her too but I thought I would get your opinions beforehand from your own experience!

Thanks
Jessica

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 4:12pm

Hi again Jess,
Generally speaking, babies need about 2 and a half ozs per lb of body weight per 24 hours. So he's probably about 9lbs now, and that works out as 22-23 ozs/24hrs. If he's having 7/8 feeds of 4ozs that's 28-32 ozs in 24 hrs. It does seem quite a lot, but babies aren't all the same. Are you sure he's really hungry after a feed? If he scoffs it fairly quickly, it may just be that he needs more sucking time. That's when a dummy can help (or a clean finger)
The difference between "Premium" and "Plus" is that the first one is made from the whey part of milk, and plus has more of the curd part (casein) This protein is more difficult for babies to digest, so they usually need to feed less often, but it's harder work for their digestive systems, so not really recommended for newborn babies. See what your HV says.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 5:08pm

Hiya Jess!

I asked my HV about hungrier baby milk (O was older, about 12 weeksish) cos O has always had more than the normal amount and she said that sometimes it can cause constipation and doesn't always work. So I stuck to the normal one. She currently feeds 3 hourly sometimes less!!

How much does he weigh now?

It could be that he's having a growth spurt. I remember someone saying that they have growth spurts about 3 weeks (I think!)

Speak to your HV and see what she says.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

JVA

Ace

• "JVA" started this thread

Reg: Jun 14th 2009

Children: Gorgeous little boy Henry

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 9:53pm

Thanks ladies that's really helpful. I will ask hv Monday. He def is hungry as I've tried dummy, water and finger and I know his cry now when it's hunger!
Jessica

chalmers206

Superstar

Reg: Feb 5th 2007

Children: my beatufil boy born on 22/4/10

Thursday, July 29th 2010, 11:17pm

hi jva,

Tj was always hungry too so we put him on hungry baby milk when he was about 6 weeks old. The health visitor was ok about it but siad it can cause constipation. but Tj was fine.
He was always crying about an hour after each feed and never seemed satisfied. Since he has been on hungry baby milk he was a lot more settled and even started sleeping right through the inght. Its great lol xx
2ND ES/ICSI AUG 09 = :BFP
THOMAS JOHN (TJ) BORN 22/4/10
DEC 2012 :BFP:
ONE BEAUTIFUL [zx076] SEEN 9/1/13