You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Flic

• "Flic" started this thread
  • Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 12:55pm

Little bit of advice re BLW please!

Hello,

So I've been doing a mixture of BLW and spoon feeding, spoon for things like mash, yoghurt and porridge and BLW for everything else.

The thing is she's started to refuse to open her mouth for the spoon. I've had to con her a couple of times with the airoplane and the car going into the garage!

Should I just go for it big time and let her feed herself totally?

She loves melon and strawberries and banana, but if she actually bites a bit off she doesn't like it and will spit it out or looks at me horrified!

I probably just need a kick up the bum but any advice would be much appreciated.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 1:09pm

My DD2 has done this as well, she would be spoonfed things like yogurt or porridge but point blank refused anything savoury and insisted on feeding herself. She rubbed lasagne in her hair the other day, as you do! I admit I am mainly motivated by keeping washing clothes and cleaning the dining table to a minimum so I have tended to spoonfeed anything very messy or very likely to stain! A trick that works for us is to give her her own spoon and let her try little spoonfuls herself but for me to also spoon feed her in between, so alternate mouthfulls, still a bit messy, but you can get most of it down without too much going in her ears! Also, this last week she has suddenly 'got' it and can spoonfeed really well.

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 1:13pm

The BLW mantra is that "food is for fun until they're one" which is useful to remember in the early days. Just remind yourself it doesn't really matter if O eats anything or not (honestly!) at this stage.

The thing you want to avoid is mealtimes turning into a battle because all that happens is the baby decides solids aren't much fun and you get very, very stressed. So if O doesn't want to open her mouth try to be relaxed about it - easier said than done, I know.

The whole thing about biting a bit of food off and then looking horrified is pretty normal, and in a way she has to go through that to get the hang of eating - it's all part of the learning thing. Let her bite stuff off and then spit it out - she'll get the idea quickly enough, though it might not feel like it to you at the moment.

Another thing to remember about BLW is they say BLW babies learn to chew first, swallow later, whilst spoon-fed babies swallow first, chew later, so don't be surprised (or upset) if O bites stuff off, has a bit of a chew and then lets everything in her mouth fall out.

If I was you I'd give up on the spoon-feeding for the moment and just give her finger foods. Or, at least, try the spoons when you want to give her porridge, yoghurt etc, but if she won't open her mouth then don't worry, just try something else.

Oh, and unless you really love cooking, in the early stages don't spend long or too much effort making O things to eat. The more you invest in her meals (time, energy etc) the more horrified you'll be when she drops it on the floor / refuses it point-blank / spits it out etc. And the more likely you are to try and make her eat it (which won't achieve anything in the long run, trust me, I know!)

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 1:15pm

PS : I also do the same as Mrs J and give DS a spoon sometimes for him to stick in the porridge / yoghurt / whatever. It makes more mess than me just doing it, but he enjoys himself and I guess at some point he's got to learn to do it himself....

Good luck!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 1:57pm

Right, so I put some yoghurt in her bowl and gave her her bowl and she stuck her hands in and had a bit of a play, so then to show DH I got my phone out and filmed it! But then it ended up all over the floor which was funny!! So then I loaded up the spoon and gave it to her and she fed herself!!!! I can't believe it!!!! It took rubbing it across her cheek and her eye to get it in her mouth but one it was in there she proper cleaned the spoon!!! I am soooooo proud!!!

When it was clean and there was no more on the spoon she chucked it on the tray so I loaded it up again and she did it again and again and again!!! FAB!!!!

Proper messy but great fun!!! She managed to get the spoon in her mouth a lot better than she does finger food, I've no idea how though!!!

I really try to give her fruit and veg and chicken (when we have it!) Usually we have warm porridge for breakfast and maybe veg and mash or something for tea. So tonight I'm gonna try mash and then a yoghurt.

FAB!!!!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 2:15pm

Nancy is the same as Mrs J's DD2, I think they've read the same 'How to be a baby' manual.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 4:05pm

Right, so this morning she didn't want to do anything herself and just kept opening her mouth for food to be put in!

This girl is keeping me on my toes!!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 4:20pm

sometimes i find that M will only be fed food from my fingers rather than doing it herself or me with a spoon. i dump the stuff on the tray, let her play with it and pick it up myself as well. isn't always the case but i guess it is just another way that she is exploring food and eating!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 4:28pm

They are funny! I love the way she's gone from wanting to feed herself to can't be bothered then wanting to feed herself at dinner again!! The look she gives me when she doesn't want to feed herself, she sort of just gives me a look of disdain (sp?) and then opens her mouth!! She didn't even play with it this morning! Her bib came off clean!!!

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 6:23pm

J is the same, sometimes he won't touch his finger food others he can't get it in fast enough. I think if he's really hungry he doesn't want to feed himself because he knows I can get it in faster.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 7:13pm

They are clever aren't they! I never knew babies were so intelligent (IYKWIM!)

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 10:11am

I am reviving this thread because O is refusing the spoon again. We are pretty much all BLW now apart from porridge and yoghurt. This morning and yesterday she wouldn't have a spoon so breakfast this morning consisted of grapes, a bit of toast and beans all fed by herself.

What is the best thing to do with yoghurt? I usually just put everything on her tray. If I put it in a bowl it will end up on the floor.

Any advice??

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 2:01pm

Would she allow you to put a little yoghurt on the spoon and then put the spoon in her hand for her to "feed" herself? My DD has little moments of independance and that always seems to do the trick for us?

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 2:09pm

I think I'd just leave her with the pot/bowl and a spoon and let her get on with it. She'll either use her hands (messy but hey, she can be washed) or get the spoon and manage a little herself. Sometimes 2 spoons works - one for you, one for her.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 2:23pm

You can still give her porridge too, try making it really stiff and rolling it into balls, dust the outside with dry porridge and hey presto you have porridge balls (they are fun to squish which is what J ususally does with them). Does she dip? you could give her yoghurt with fruit dippers, the books suggest that babies of O's age should be able to dip but J has never done so and shows no interest in is so if you're lucky and O does then you could let her feed herself her porridge with bits of fruit (and probably toast and anything else on the tray).

We have the opposite problem, J clearly doesn't believe that BLW is the way to go as he wants everything on a spoon delivered by me. He's fine with dry things, like nuggets, but if I give him something like risotto or pasta and sauce and he looks at the spoon, looks at me then opens his mouth and tries to put his mouth on the spoon where it's lying on his tray (if I don't take the hint he hurls the whole lot at me spoon and all) if I put stuff on the spoon for him and try to make him take it he will fist his hands and hide them under the tray so I can't get to them with me demon spoon (all the time trying to follow the spoon with his mouth open). He gets on better with a fork but not much

babies eh!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 6:08pm

Hello,

Tried the spoon at tea time and it just got thrown on the floor!! I don't think she likes the spoon.

Grace, I'm going to try the porridge balls in the morning!! She doesn't dip. Why waste time dipping when you can just eat it!?!

She's loving grapes at the moment so they're being mixed in with everything!!

Thank you for all the advice!