You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:09pm

Sterilising bottles and other questions!

I don't know why but for some reason I thought I'd be ditching all the sterilising once the babies hit six months. However yesterday I was doing some reading in my spare time :rolleyes: and read that you continue to sterilise bottles for the duration you use them. Is this right? Also, I just read a thread about stopping bottles which I understand you do at around a year so have i got to sterilise until they're one ?(

Do you just use sippy cups in the meantime just for water? Do these need sterilising or is it just bottles because of having had milk in them?

If I'm sterilising the bottles then presumably the formula needs to be made up in the same way as now , i.e with cooled boiled water? Get off your bum Duffy and go read the packet! :snigger:

if you coudl answer the first bit, much appreciated!

Can someone advise as well (cos my reading didn't get this far).....how many milk feeds am I ultimately aiming for once weaning is started? I understand that babies need a minimum of 600ml up to a year but is this split into two or three or more? and can you give your baby too much milk? Do babies' solid meals coincide with these milk feeds or are they separate? or does it depend what book you're reading!?

My head hurts now !! :headache

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Oct 29th 2009

Children: 1DD aged 13 1DS aged 2

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:13pm

Midwife told me to stop at 6 months. But that was 10 years ago. Could you ring and ask? Sorry thats not much help really :O
Me PCOS
DH Low count
TTC 7 Years
ICSI Sept :BFP: Miscarriage @ 8 weeks :bawl:
ICSI May/June Single ET :BFP:
FET June/July 13 ???

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:18pm

Bottles always need sterilising (yucky teat and lots of bits that can get icky).
Cups do not need sterilising, and you can make up milk in them in exactly the same way.

.... I am DYING to get the Mavettes drinking out of cups!

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:37pm

.... I am DYING to get the Mavettes drinking out of cups!

Same!

Do you happen to know if bottles have a lifespan? Mine are looking really old! I've replaced the teats recently.

thanks for the advice :D, I won't put the steriliser away just yet then :rolleyes:

x

4 x ICSI BFN

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:37pm

My HV said that as long as they get 20oz of milk a day then great. O's feeds have gone a bit weird now we're on the weaning, as in she still wants a milk feed but not the whole 6oz, and then sometimes she'll have the lot. So I keep all the bottles till the end of the day so I can tot it all up.

Ditto what Mavis said about the sterilising, I'd read that they still need to be sterilised due to all the bits. And formula does need to be made up the same way.

Mavis, I'm going to try get a handle for the bottle so that she can give herself her bottle, and then once she's got the hang of that I'm gonna try move away from a teat to a proper cup. I tried with a cup and she held it and put it in her mouth but wasn't impressed.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:46pm

the others have answered your questions about sterilising. One thing, though, if you use cups that have a valve in rather than free flowing ones for milk, then why wouldn't they need sterilising? Just as many places for germs to breed as with teats I would have thought? But that is just me pondering rather than knowing.

Yes, I believe bottles do have a lifespan but not sure what it is and I guess it will depend on how many you own / rotate etc but if you think they are looking a bit past it then you are probably right!

As to how many feeds, well, like all things it will depend on the baby and also when they have their sold feeds. Most will begin to drop feeds but some will just take less at each feed.
A lot of the babies I know where able to hold their bottles (Tommee Tippee ones without handles) by about 6 1/2 months so you'll probably find your babies will soon catch on.

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:57pm

I'm finding the girls do better drinking out of an open cup (e.g. Doidy) than a sippy cup (which they try and suck rather than sip).
So we are doing lots of drinking water out of the Doidy... watch this space!

Botttles - not sure, but the teat is the most important thing and you've just replaced yours so all should be good :-)

My Diary

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:58pm

How have you got the girls to drink water??? O just looks at me like I'm trying to poison her!

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 3:59pm

One thing, though, if you use cups that have a valve in rather than free flowing ones for milk, then why wouldn't they need sterilising? Just as many places for germs to breed as with teats I would have thought? But that is just me pondering rather than knowing.
You're right Jen, if the cups use the valves then they do need sterilising (and they have small rubbery bits, so its a pain).

My Diary

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 4:00pm

How have you got the girls to drink water??? O just looks at me like I'm trying to poison her!
Not a way I can recommend... I think they are thirsty! They gulp the water down and will only eat solids after drinking water.

My Diary

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 4:04pm

M will now drink out of several different types of cup but to begin with I used a doidy cup (which she lapped up water from like a kitten) and a 'think baby' bottle that had a soft spout. Sometimes they don;t like the hard spout.

x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 4:14pm

Maybe thats why she doesn't like it then. I'll have to get one and give it a try. Thanks Jen!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 8:03pm

I've been trying to get the moonlets onto sippy cups and holding ther own bottles - Molly is getting the hang of it quite well, but Georgie is a bit lazy and loses concentration after a minute or two!! Sippy cups are a bit like a toy at the moment, they will drink from them even though the teat is hard and flat but it took some getting used to - but to get a decent amount of water in them I'll give it to them in a bottle after each solid feed and if they're looking hot during the day. Mine get quite grizzly if they're hot and thirsty!

When you first start weaning keep all the milk feeds as normal, as to start with they'll take very little solids. It's up to you whether you give solids before milk, during milk, straight after milk or between feeds - whichever fits in with your lifestyle and the Dufflets. They will fall into a natural pattern of how much milk they'll take. With M&G I feed them 4 hourly (6,10,2,6) and now they also have porridge at 8 followed by nap, dinner and pud at 11.30 followed by nap and tea at 4. Now weaning is fully established they are taking around 6oz (180ml) per feed which is about average for their age (7 months). As Flic's LO sometimes they drink all of it, sometimes not. I don't worry if they don't take it all though, it doesn't seem to affect their sleep or mood and they're definately gaining weight!!

I'm an advocate of not reading books and just going by instinct - your babies will know what they want and you'll know what you can easily achieve!

xx

Moonshine

Duffymoon

Megastar

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 12:43pm

Thanks all for your responses....jolly helpful as always!! I do have two doiddy cups which I bought before they were born - I think Phillipa S recommended them in case i needed to give the babies an alternative to a bottle in those early days (like you said Jen, they lap up the milk). I shall dig them out and see how we get on with water.

I'm an advocate of not reading books and just going by instinct - your babies will know what they want and you'll know what you can easily achieve!

Hmmm.....I think i'm turning into the sort of mum who likes to be guided by experience rather than my own instinct, particularly in the feeding department! I really didn't have a clue about weaning or BLW and there are definite do's and dont's which you can only learn about through information being passed on. I'm not going to get anal about following someone's suggestions though and have enough common sense to know that monster munches and pepsi are perhaps to be avoided :snigger: I didn't have a great appetite as a child and just want to make sure I do as much as i can to encourage the twins to eat well, have a good, healthy balanced diet and hopefully give them a good attitude towards food.

At the moment (bearing in mind they're not 6 months yet), we're just at the baby rice stage which i give them pre bath at around 5ish. Just this week they're having 1/2 spoons of pear puree at 11 feed and the milk feeds are as norm (Tegan has 8fl oz 4 times and Jasper 9fl oz 4 times). I introduced the rice as they were ticking all the boxes for signs of needing weaning; I figured by the time i've done a week of rice and slowly introducing new tastes every 4 days or so, they'll be 6 months and ready to start BLW. The high chairs are arriving today and it's sooooo exciting :biggrin2

This sounds a ridiculous thing to say but believe it or not, we're having to set the alarm in the morning now to wake up! Once weaning has started properly, i'm planning for their first milk feed to be between 7-7.30am, brekky around 8.30-9, nap, milk feed at 11.30am followed by lunch, then nap, then milk feed at 3, then tea at 5ish, then milk feed after bath at 6.30pm. I guess the 3 o'clock milk feed will go at some point soonish? Apart from tea time, I think i'll opt for milk feeds first before food.

Does this sound ok/sensible?

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 1:12pm

Sounds sensible if you think it'll work for you and the Dufflets!

I stopped sterilising EVERYTHING when both girls were 1, literally over night! However, E had a bottle at night til she was gone 2, and A is still doing that, and I'm not sterilising them. Bottles/teats have a lifespan - not sure how long I just change them when they start to look a bit worse for wear!

Cups - both girls around 7/8 months I guess although I used to also have a bottle of water to hand to start with so that I knew they could have that if they were thirsty but struggling with the cup.

The afternoon milk will be the first one to go - I think that had gone by 6 months for A (can't remember for E!) and then it'll be the 11.30 one. I have a feeling A dropped those at more or less the same time although she took to food really quickly/easily (her mother's daughter?!) so wasn't interested in milk much after she'd tasted food and always looked a bit disappointed at a bottle. Having said that she still really enjoys her bedtime bottle!

And finally - I always offered milk before food, like you're planning to as I knew both girls would ditch the milk and head straight for the grub when they saw it!

Good luck and have fun! Have fond memories of a production line in my kitchen making purees, little meals for the freezer etc - I did a combo of finger food and spoon fed - too neurotic to leave it all to them - needed to know that at least something was going in!!! And I still make fruit purees now actually as the girls like them with plain yoghurt, sometimes over ice cream etc or sometimes on their own instead of a yoghurt!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Duffymoon

Megastar

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 1:40pm

I did a combo of finger food and spoon fed - too neurotic to leave it all to them - needed to know that at least something was going in!!!

I like the idea of doing both and like you say, you know they're eating something! I do intend to have lots of fun with my hungry monsters!!! I think I shall be everso grateful at having two cleaners dogs permanently below their chairs too!

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 6:18pm

:snigger: Yes, you'll find that very useful! We had a cat until a couple of months ago ( :bawl: ) and he was very good at tidying up certain things - chicken, cheese, yoghurt - not so good at others - banana, biscuit, ricecake. I would imagine your two doggies won't be quite so picky!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 2:45pm

Hi DM

I am planning on sterilising bottles until around 1 year, but go with the flow I guess depending on how she takes to a cup.

My DD is good and can indepentantly hold her own bottle, I started by letting her grip my finger and then moving it next to the bottle so her hands were getting used to being in the right place IYKWIM. I have tried her with several cups for water but the only one she can master is a Nuby first cup, it has handles at the side and a soft spout so similar to a teat feel but shaped like a spout.

In terms of milk she still has 4 feeds a day, wake up, 10.30am, 2.30pm and bed, all 6oz except bed which is 8oz, she does seem to be cutting this down slightly though by not taking the full bottle in the day. Solid wise she has breakfast, dinner and tea now. I guess they are all different with what they want but I do just tend to follow her lead as she generally seems to get it right.

xx for the gorgeous Dufflets! xx

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 5:53pm

I forgot to reply to all your questions! :drunk:

L was breast-fed but I wanted to stop when he was one and to do this I've moved him to bottles of formula. I stopped sterilising a few days after L turned one as the advice I've had was that you had to sterilise for 1 year only. I make up the formula with cooled boiled water. However, I'm now moving him over to cows' milk (just using up the formula) and once we've done that (next week I would imagine) we'll then transition to using a doidy and/or beaker (both of which he's fine with already, only he associates them with water, not milk, at the mo).

I don't know about managing the reduction in milk. As L was demand fed I didn't pay much attention to how often he fed (other than knowing he fed a LOT more frequently than any other baby I know!). Also, we did BLW and the idea with that is that you go with the flow in terms of how much, solids-wise, they eat because you just make up the difference with milk feeds. So if he ate plenty he'd want less milk; if he wasn't so hungry he'd take more milk, iykwim. Over time he just reduced how often he wanted milk, and now we're down to 2 feeds, one about 150ml and the other about 100ml.

If you want to be more proactive about it and take control over cutting out feeds yourself then I guess you have to work harder to make sure they eat enough solids.

Does any of that help?!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN