You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mavis

• "Mavis" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 11:14am

Babysitter in the daytime for twins?

Hi all,
I'm not sure what I am looking for - a babysitter, nanny, or child minder?
But basically we want someone to come to the house and look after our girls for a number of hours during the daytime. Most of the time there will be a parent at home aswell, but hopefully parent will be in the background.
I am at a loss of how to start! How did you do it?

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 11:15am

P.s. I'm assuming its more pricey for two kiddies at the same (young) age rather than siblings? Does it get cheaper as the kiddiewinkles get older? Oh I'm confused!

My Diary

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 1:39pm

Hmm, Childminders usually care for children in their own home rather than yours and they may well care for other children at the same time so I don't think that is what you want. A nanny or a babysitter is probably closer to what you want (or you could get an au pair and excite your dh!). There are a number of website that give you the option of searching for nannies and babysitters in your area, such as this one http://www.childcare.co.uk/?gclid=CITPzMfZ3qMCFVf-2AodVFsJBA (link not endorsed by fz) so give it a google (not something we usually say on this website!)

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 1:48pm

Hi Mavis

A few year ago I worked for the Children's Information Service, they give info to parents on all aspects of childcare including contacts of local childminders, nannies, day nurseries etc.. including costs

might be worth googling and contacting your local one, we were based as part of the local authority (Education, Children & Young People's Dept.) Your local Council will hold all of this info and be able to send you details in the post or email them over to you, they also have advisors so you can chat and tell them exactly what you are looking for

hope that helps x

Sun Flower

Superstar

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 1:51pm

Childcare Info Service

:) xx

Please note, link not endorsed by fertility zone

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 1:55pm

Hi mavis
I found a nanny through a website called find a babysitter. You can specify qualifications, crb checks, references etc in your search criteria. I put on an ad and found a really well qualified and relatively cheap nanny. :D
as far as I am aware prices are usually per hour and are the same for all ages and number of children. So for twins it's a pretty good deal!

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 8:16pm

Evening Mavis! I think its more a nanny/au pair/babysitter you're after as a childminder cares for a number of children in his/her own home.

A friend of mine is just going through the process to get an au pair and it seems a good option financially - not sure how you find one but I could ask her if you want?

I did look at the nanny option briefly when going back to work after DD2 and I think Bry's right that twins won't be more expensive than siblings of different ages.

Good luck, would be interested to hear what option you go for!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, August 30th 2010, 11:31am

Thank you thank you thank you!

I think I've been so stung by the fact that twins are sooo expensive, I found it hard to believe a nanny wouldn't double her rates. It's fab! It makes a nanny more affordable than nursery for us.

Grace - thanks for the link, there are some good'uns near us. Next month we will start interviews!
Sunflower - thank you too hun, I love our council, they are so responsive (!) So will look to see how they can help us here.
Bry - ooooh, do let me know how you get on?! Your nanny sounds fab.
Pootle - possibly a stupid question, but do au pairs always have to live with you? We have a really small house, usually packed with visiting family members. There is no room for anyone else, there is no room for us!

Thanks again. I have hope that one day, our lives will be less mad and chaotic? (Please leave me with this naive hope for now :-) )
M
x

My Diary

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, August 30th 2010, 2:56pm

Mavis, I'll ask my friend about the living arrangements for au pairs!

As for hectic and chaotic - I think it gets more so - I seem to be forever juggling the needs of my girls! I spend A LOT of time shuttling around between swimming, riding, tap, rainbows, tea parties, birthday parties etc etc and that's just for DD1 so I worry that DD2 isn't getting enough of me or my time - I reckon it'll only get more chaotic when DD2 gets old enough to want to do her own thing - probably football, ballet, karate, anything different to have me running in two directions! Plus they are at such different stages and have very different needs and wants and capabilities etc - its a bit crazy in our house a lot of the time. All good fun though - wouldn't change a thing! :happy:

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, August 30th 2010, 9:59pm

Mavis when you say a parent will be in the background are you working from home or just looking for some help? I work from home and understand it is almost impossible so tend to work during the evenings when they are in bed, my children are 4 and 2 and and I have only just this month got to the stage where I can swap babysitting days so I get one day to work!

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 9:21am

As for hectic and chaotic - I think it gets more so

Don't tell Mr Mave that!

Chili, yes - depending on our schedules, either DH or I will be working from home (hidden from sight, just available in case the nanny needs a spare pair of hands).

All,
I've got a shortlist of nannies I'm going to interview and I have the standard list of questions of what to ask and what documentation they should bring with them etc. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should specifically ask about twins? I can't think of anything.... I'm sure there are issues of looking after two infants of the same age, like don't assume they can both do the same thing (e.g one sits, one briefly sits before headbutting the floor). Can't think of much though?

xxx

aly48

Reg: May 26th 2010

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 11:44am

Hi Mavis.

I'm a teaching assistant but have more recently worked as a nanny for two different families. Going on interviews I've had, the children I would be looking after have been present. I think this is a good idea because you instantly get a feel for how your going to interact with the children. I think it helps me as I can see how the children play, interact with new faces, if they're clingy or extrovert. I think it helps a parent because you can see how your children react to the new face and how that person is with your children. There's a lot you can tell from first impressions like the nannies facial expressions, tone of voice if they come down to the child's level when talking/playing with them so the children don't feel intimidated. I always think its important that I remember the children's names because I think its something I would look for if I was looking for a nanny. I also think seeing them together you as a parent will get an idea of who you could trust in your home looking after your children. I understand your point exactly about a nanny assuming that twins will be similar in everyway and I agree that you need someone who can appreciate each child's uniqueness straight away. Good luck in your search. X

1st IVF- NOV/DEC 2010 :BFN. 1st FET March/April 2011 :BFP:
1 beautiful [zx076] seen. Its a :girl: due 21st December
April 2013- BFP natural shock pregnancy. Miscarried at 5 weeks 6 days
Jan 2014- BFP natural pregnancy. Another princess due Oct 16th 2014

MY DIARY

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 11:51am

Hiya

good luck with the interviews. Think we just asked about how they would prioritise needs if both were screaming! Our nanny is working out brilliantly. :D she cooks, cleans and is lovely with the babies. She also fills in little books about their day with pics of them. ( completely her idea!)

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]