You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Flic

• "Flic" started this thread
  • Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, August 30th 2010, 2:39pm

What happens if flexible working is turned down?

Hiya,

I was just wondering what happens if my flexible working request is turned down (which it will be) Do I have to return to full time work?

Its not practical moneywise for me to return full time to work, however I'm only a trainee and have not been guaranteed a job at the end of my training contract anyway. Would they make me redundant?

How does it work? I will need to get a part time job but in the meantime is it possible to claim jobseekers if I'm made redundant? Or do I have to actually resign if they can't accomodate me??

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, August 30th 2010, 2:50pm

Hi Flic. As far as I'm aware its tough if they turn it down - the ball is then in your court to quit or go back on your old terms. I 'think' I'm right - I had a ball trying to sort out my hours when I went back after DD2 (had an amazing, fabulous and supportive boss when I returned to work after DD1 who didn't care where/when I did the work as long as it got done!) and essentially was told I couldn't change my hours and that was that because it 'didn't meet the needs of the business' - I think that's the main get out clause! No trial phase, no negotiation. I did go to my Union (first time in 13 years!) and was told that there was nothing they could do unless I wanted to go down a sex discrimination route which I really didn't. So I went back on my old hours and then a few months later I finally got my new hours agreed when the Partner who hadn't wanted me to change them was in Australia on holiday.......it wasn't a fun week when she got back!

Anyhoo, the best you can do is ask, be prepared to be flexible too, offer a trial phase and keep your fingers crossed. Let us know how you get on.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, August 30th 2010, 3:25pm

Oooh, Thanks Pootle.

I'm thinking that I'll see if I can get a part time job lined up before I leave then. If I was to go back full time then all I'd have after childcare is 100 quid if that. I've got to pay for petrol cos the stores they would want me at are miles away.

We'll see how it goes.

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Friday, September 24th 2010, 8:59pm

Just to add to this, you can appeal the decision if they turn you down.. and they do have to have a business reason why they can't accommodate you. If others work part time, it's difficult for them to justify saying no to you.

You can only claim JSA if you get made redundant, not if you resign and you are unlikely to get redundancy as that is when the job no longer exists whereas yours still does.

Good luck!
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Wednesday, February 23rd 2011, 7:43am

I work as a resource analyst, so I used to have to process flexible working applications.
Basically, there are 7 criteria that they can turn you down on, but in order to do so, they have to provide tangible evidence that will stand up in a tribunal (if it comes to that). In other words, they need to have a VERY good reason why they can't support it. If it's a small business, then there is more grounds than say a big multi-site multi-shift organisation, but either way, they have to document their reasons for any decline.

The place where I work is one of those big companies, so in the more complex cases, we really have to work with the managers to think "outside the box" when it comes to flex working applications. For instance, looking at alternative posts on other sites or departments that meet the hours proposed, or countering it with a solution that requires compromise from both parties (eg weekend working in exchange for weekday afternoons). It then all comes down to thrashing out the ideas in meetings until something can be found. After all, the last thing the company wants is to go down a long winded battle with appeals, unions, tribunals - all cost time and money.

My advice would be push for what you want, but also try and be as flexible as you can too.

I've got my own flex working meeting in a couple of weeks (I'm applying for compressed hours - full time working over 4 days), That should be fun!
:)
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, February 23rd 2011, 7:20pm

Well as its turned out I'm being made redundant anyway :sadface:

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Thursday, February 24th 2011, 12:34pm

Is it only you whos being made redundant Flic?

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, February 24th 2011, 2:15pm

Yes it is only me.

They're looking for other jobs for me though and so I think they're doing all they can.

GemH

Star

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Friday, March 4th 2011, 12:21pm

Will someone else being doing your job do you know? Just in case they are trying to get rid of you due to the fact you have Otylia. x

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, March 4th 2011, 3:45pm

No, there is literally no job!!!

GemH

Star

Friday, March 4th 2011, 4:56pm

Oh dear. They made me redundant in the end because I had George thats the only reason I asked, I ended up taking them to court for unfair dismissal. Hopefully theyll find you something soon.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE