You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

loop

Ace

• "loop" started this thread

Reg: Nov 9th 2008

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 9:28am

Going abroad

Hi all
I am going to Italy (flying to Nice airport, France) to visit my mother who lives there now at the end of Sept with my DP and LO who is now 3 months. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about when you travel back and taking formula through customs at Nice airport as i am clear that i can order some cartons here and pick up in Boots to use after going through UK customs, but not sure what to do when in nice airport on the way home and panicking a little in case any delays etc and i have no formula. I have been delayed there before when on my own, so this is why worrying a little. I'm planning on taking cartons with me although LO is a bit sickier on them. so may take some powder in case to use when there. I understand i would be best to get bottled still water to boil?

Can any on advice as we want to enjoy trip not make it a stressful trip?
Loop

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 12:16pm

Hi Loop,
I'm your gal! I just took a 8 hour flight with our baby girls.

We did the following:
- Took loads of bottles, sterilized and empty
- Took loads of cartons of ready to use formula (250 ml)
- Took nail clippers (to open the cartons)

At security, they made us open and taste some of the cartons, something like 1 out of every 4.
And at Boots, we had preordered LOADS more cartons (24, I think). So we had lots for the flight, and loads left over for the return journey.

It worked out really well for us! I was considering taking powder as backup, but couldn't be bothered to faff around with powder for the flight.

One other tip - if you take a pram with you, prepared for it to get trashed in the hold. I bought a cheapo travel pram, it was new - and it got trashed (holes ripped in it, foot rest snapped off, but the wheels still go around so its useable). I'm very relieved I didn't use my favourite pram which is expensive.

M
x

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 12:17pm

P.s. If you do decide to order from Boots, make sure it is the one after security, and in the correct terminal for your flight.

x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mavis" (Sep 7th 2010, 1:37pm)

loop

Ace

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 2:58pm

thanks mavis, did you take cartons through customs on return journey too? how many cartons did you take with you through customs here?i know its only a short flight but don't want to be without, would be awful
loop x

loop

Ace

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 3:03pm

sorry mavis forgot to ask, did you use any powder whilst away, and if so do you use bottled water?

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 3:27pm

I had 16 empty bottles to use, so I took 16 x250 ml cartons. I think we had to open and taste 2? Not sure now... but take as many as your can to put your mind at rest. And order loads on the other side of security.

I took powdered formula with me to use during my stay, and I am making up the bottles using bottled water (the tap water is not safe, so bottled is our only option, I know its not recommended in the UK though).

Because its bottled, I make sure to only boil it once. If you repeat boil it, you can further concentrate any salt and minerals in it.

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 5:16pm

When i was on holiday in July i only took empty bottles with me,after check in when went straight thru security and off to Boots for ready made cartons, i bought a load of them so i could keep some for the journey home. As my bottles were empty i had nothng to open or taste at security.
I also took a few packs of powder as we were away for 3 weeks. We used bottled water, Nestle if you can get it is one of the recommended ones.
I also took sterile disposable bottles with me too for when we were out and about at night, use them once and throw them away, you can buy these in Boots 2, Tommy Tippee ones,or the ones we used ( Nurture) were £2.99 for 4.

Turkey

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 5:55pm

And Mavey where have you jetted off too??

Just to add about bottled water, i was advised by Milupa(Aptamil) the following

You will need to make up feeds with bottled water. Choose a water that is still rather than sparkling, and one with a low mineral content. A good guideline is to look at the sodium levels in the water. The chemical symbol for sodium is NA. A level of sodium less than 200mg per litre will be well within limits for a young baby, and try to only boil it once, as repeated boiling concentrates the minerals present.

In some countries, you will see a small "baby" symbol on the bottles.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Bride2Be" (Sep 7th 2010, 5:58pm)

loop

Ace

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 8:21pm

Thanks Mavis and Bride2be, your info is very reassuring. I was not aware of not boiling the water repeatedly so glad i asked.
Still unclear though as to taking cartons through return airport i.e. Nice airport, France, for the return journey home, are the rules the same as UK? Does any one know? You would think i wasgoing for weeks the way i'm worrying, i'm actually only going for 4 days !!!
Loop x

Turkey

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 8:45pm

Hi Loop

we kept some cartons for return journey and we didn't get asked to open anything, i had everything in a wee cool bag and the man just asked if it was for baby,i said yes and he waved us through, this was in Turkey though so not sure about everywhere else.

Have a wee look on the Nice airport website and see if it gives you any info

http://www.nice.aeroport.fr/?l=2

Have a nice time when you go

Reg: Jul 25th 2008

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 9:54pm

hi loop!

my cousin was advised to use evian water, as its one of the few that have a low mineral content.
not sure what she did on return journey- will ask her and let you know

snoops

Reg: Jul 25th 2008

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 10:07pm

Update- she had to taste carton on return journey from spain and was only allowed enough for 1 feed on way home from spain.
so sounds like its def worth to check with the airport

It will all be worth it when you get there!

Snoops

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests