You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• "Grace" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 4:48pm

The best thing about bfding is ....

Someone made a good point to me today people seldom post if they aren't having any problems (unless of course they are helping others with said problems) I thought I'd start a thread that would give others who are reading this section, who are either going through it in the early weeks and wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel or still pg and wondering what it's all about, hope. I couldn't think of a better title so if anyone wants it changed feel free. Anyway my 2ps worth:

The best thing about bfding is it's so convenient, in the middle of the night I don't have to get up to get bottles I just whop my boob out (usually with one eye gummed shut) wait 10/15 minutes then put him back to bed.

The second best thing about bfding is the way J always waits until someone's looking to pop off in a public place, I don't think there is anyone living in Berkshire who hasn't seen my boobs and I have lost all my inhibitions about it - nudist beach here I come :)

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 4:56pm

What a lovely thread!

The best thing for a lazy old slattern like me was no washing up.

The best thing for a tight fisted crow like me was it's free!

The best thing for a control freak like me was that nobody else could do it. Nobody else could settle them like me.

The best thing for sieve brain like me was that I never went out and forgot to take milk (that went pear shaped when I started weaning :innocent: )

The best thing for a flibberty gibbert like me was that I didn't have to plan ahead and day trips out could turn into overnights without worry. Got Baby? Check! Got Boobs? Check! Let's go!!

:D

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 28th 2010

Children: hoping and praying this one sticks with us xxxxx

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 5:25pm

hi

hi ladies
i am considering bf
but am unsure
cos when i have af or when i was due for af before i got my bfp
i got to the poing where i couldnt evan lay down cos nipples and boobs were that sore
im just worried that it will hurt me to much
xx

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 5:46pm

What a great thread, Grace! I'm always wary about raving about breastfeeding because I know so many girls desperately want to and then for lots of reasons can't manage it. I know plenty on FZ who have felt really bad about moving onto formula and you don't want to rub anyone's nose in it, but on the other hand you are right, reading the breastfeeding threads on here would make you think it was a living nightmare!

Bells has summed it up brilliantly, as usual! The convenience was fab - DS needed a feed? DS got one, pronto! No making up bottles, warming them up, finding out they were too hot, waiting for them to cool down. (I witnessed friends going through this on several occasions!) I could pop out for a quick coffee and stay out for hours without even thinking about feeding times/amounts etc. In fact, as DS was a hungry baby, the best thing I did was stop worrying about when he last fed and for how long and just take my cue from him so if he wanted a feed he got one and I wasn't stressing about him wanting to feed "too soon" or "not frequently enough" or whatever.

The other thing is that lots of friends with bottle fed babies had awful problems with constipation and/or wind. Whilst waiting for bottles to warm up / cool down babies were always being dosed with lactulose and/or infacol. I think maybe I was lucky as DS didn't have any of those sorts of problems but I think breastfeeding probably had something to do with it too? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Weaning is fun, I think especially if you go down the BLW road as I did (and you, Grace!) but there's a lot more to think about and remember, and planning what you need is a bit of a shock when you've been breastfeeding because in those pre-weaning days all you had to think about was how many nappies / changes of clothes you had with you. I'm glad I didn't have to be thinking about formula and bottles, and sterilising, too!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 5:52pm

hi ladies
i am considering bf
but am unsure
i got to the poing where i couldnt evan lay down cos nipples and boobs were that sore
xx

Sammie, all I can say is that you won't have an AF for a while if you breastfeed. If you're lucky you might not have any the whole time you're feeding. If you're unlucky they might start up again after just a few weeks. But either way there's no reason why you can't give it a go.

They say even if you only bf for a few days it's better than not bfing at all, so if you were unlucky and your AFs started up again quite soon after the baby arrived it would still be worth it to have started. You might find that you don't have the AF-related pain whilst you're breastfeeding, or, if you do, that it's tolerable. If you can't stand it then you can move across to formula when the time comes.

You have to put that issue to one side and make a decision about whether you want to breastfeed or not. If you do, then give it a go and see what happens when your AFs return (which probably won't be for several months after the baby is born - mine came back after 5 months).
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 28th 2010

Children: hoping and praying this one sticks with us xxxxx

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 6:05pm

hi

hi
thanks for that jessica
will deffintly give it a go then
x

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• United Kingdom

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 6:21pm

I agree with Jessica and Bells and suddenly thought of another one:-

Young baby crying? don't know why? give it a boob = instant silence

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 6:38pm

I thought of another one!

I got myself a cleavage! :pout

I went from a not-quite-32-AA to a lovely 32-DD and really did enjoy having a pair of boobs to put inside my clothes!

Of course, what with the regular feeding and whatnot quite often I only actually had one boob and a spaniel ear or, by the end of the day, 2 spaniel ears, but first thing in the morning or just before a feed I filled my bra up rather nicely, if I do say so myself!
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 6:51pm

It's so easy to get your boobs out rather than faff making bottles.

I've never forgotten to take my boobs with me.

No washing up or sterilising.

It's free.

It settles your baby in an instant.

I've got boobs and a cleavage for the first time ever. :D

hi ladies
i am considering bf
but am unsure
xx

I had the same problem before I had our DD, at least 2 weeks of every cycle they would kill. I didn't get af for 6 months and it took my by surprise because my boobs didn't hurt at all, I didn't have many or my normal PMS symptoms which is odd because I'd got so used to knowing exactly what was going on.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 7:05pm

I desperately want to breast feed. PLease let BB make it and please let us both be able to do it.

I cannot imagine anything more life affirming as a woman and more bonding with that new life you have created.

I wont be a slave to it if it does not work for me and BB, but I just am dying to do it. Hope that makes sense! lol
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 7:07pm

The best thing about breast feeding include:
- Not spending 6 pounds a day on formula (we use the ready-made type, the cost really adds up)
- Not spending half the day tracking down bottles, lids, from all over the house
- And then spending the other half of the day cleaning and sterilizing them
- And then you also have to descale the sterilizer
- Not arguing with your DH how long a bottle of milk has been outside the fridge for and whether the milk should be discarded
- Not arguing with your MIL who doesn't clean, sterilize, and make the milk in the way that's best
- Not having a pallava when getting through airport security...

...I could go on!
For all those of you who are struggling BFding at the moment, do hang on in there. There are SO MANY advantages in addition to the obvious health advantages for both you and your babies.

M
x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mavis" (Sep 14th 2010, 7:08pm)

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 14th 2010, 8:33pm

The best thing for me was that as I was shy Breast feeding in front of people I could take DD upstairs and feed her and have her all to my self :innocent: and take as long she needed to and add on a bit of extra time so I could have even more cuddles :shush: lurve

xxxxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 8:26am

All the things Bells said!
Nicer nappies, formula fed ones stink to high Heaven.
Being delayed on a fight home from holiday for 3 hours and not running out of milk.
Hot Milk lingerie.
Also the fact that I have sliced a nice 4-5% of my risk of breast cancer.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 8:45am

Oh I also forgot. If it's a first baby you have no excuse not to spend an entire week in bed after your baby has been born while you establish feeding.

Visitors have to come to your bedroom so they don't stay all day. As soon as you say you're going to feed the baby most of them rapidly remove themselves from your company and can go downstairs to be entertained by your significant other. This is particularly useful for those family members who want to pass your baby to and fro until it cries before handing it back to you.

; )

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 2:21pm

Ditto ditto ditto to free, (relatively) easy, great 1-1 time etc etc but also being my baby's one and only food source made me feel very important. No one else could feed her it - it had to be me - and I loved that. That's not to say that Dad didn't join in - we had an agreement of I was responsible for what went in, and he was responsible for what came out. Worked well for me! And he also got wonderful bonding time through so many other things.

Other reasons:

- Night feeds were so easy - no need to get out of bed
- It gives you a perfect excuse to sit or lie down for 10 mins with your baby. Which you really need whether at 1 week or 1 year.
- I could feed her and do other things at the same time - serve/eat dinner, open the door to the postman, write thank you letters etc.
- It's a great excuse for extra cakes and biscuits!
- I knew that my milk was perfectly constituted for my baby - no added bits that she didn't need - just the right amount of fats, antibodies, sugars and everything she needed to grow.
- That in a world of obesity breastfeeding gives my DD less of a chance of being obese in later life.

Yes it takes practice and yes its time consuming to start off with but its SO worthwhile - for you and for baby.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 2:58pm

I could feed her and do other things at the same time - serve/eat dinner, open the door to the postman, write thank you letters etc.

FZ!

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 5:47pm

When you have a prem baby in SCBU, it is about the only thing you can do to help them.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 9:25pm

All of the above and it's the best excuse ever for not doing housework! :D

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 11:15am

woohoo for breastfeeding biggrin2

I agree with ALL that has been said, its just FAB!

11 MONTHS IN & WE ARE STILL GOING STRONG!!!!! high5 I am so proud that after our latch problems etc we stuck at it & suceeded :D I love feeding B & although she only feeds at night & first thing in the AM now i will keep it going for as long as she wants me [zx127]
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Sunday, September 19th 2010, 9:34pm

the best thing about breast feeding for me is seeing him smiling up at me around my nipple - worst is when i havent realised he needs winding and he's puked round my nipple.

also, not havinf to open my eyes for very long in middle of night although i do have to shove infacol down him 1st, (very surprised it hasnt gone up his nose even once since i dont switch light on), the control thing is good for me. although im trying to work out who is ACTUALLY in control me or LO.? LO i think. he demands i lob boob out.

the next best thing is no periods YES!!!!!!!! i have had the pmt and the period 'smell' but no gore and no crippling stomache ache. and if that last for 5 months then i am loving it
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Tuesday, September 21st 2010, 3:46pm

the next best thing about breast feeding for me is eating loads and loads of food a day and still losing pg weight. without dieting (never had to, naturally slim) or exercising !!!!!!!
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Sunday, September 26th 2010, 10:08pm

Yes, the food one! my 5 1/2 month twinnies get all their food from me and I can eat a ridiculous amount of food :D .
I think I would be really clueless with formula, how much, how often etc.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 10:44am

The best thing is that J and I have both had the same cold, J's lasted 24 hours of actually feeling ill and now he's just a bit snuffly (thanks to all the antibodies my boobs made for him), my cold is into its 3rd day and I still feel like poo as my boobs made antibodies but my body did not, if I could reach I'd drink the stuff myself!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09