You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kd40

Ace

• "kd40" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: One cheeky boy

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 6:49pm

Growth Spurt?

Our 11 day old has started being very fussy today and wanting to feed all the time - he then falls asleep after 5-10 minutes feeding so we put him down - he wakes up and is fussy and asking for food again - does anyone know if this could be a growth spurt? MIdwife who weighed him today said they do experience them around this point - he has put on 4oz since he was born so I thought he was feeding well - but today - he seems to be very edgy and crying alot, and will not settle until hes had a bit to eat. We also don't know if he;s hungry or not - cause even though he makes the signs - he's also pulling his knees up like he has wind and doing his little fast breaths - I'm very confused at what to do for the best for him?
:BFP: Dec 2009 - IVF 1st try - our little miracle!
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "kd40" (Sep 16th 2010, 6:50pm)

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 6:52pm

Hello,

It could be that he is having a growth spurt. O feeds constantly when she's having a growth spurt.

If he's pulling his knees up then he could have wind. Has be been bringing it up ok?

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

kd40

Ace

• United Kingdom

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 6:57pm

When we're trying to wind him he's not really bringing anything up - we get the occasional burp but that's it - he's been awake since 1pm now - he's usally awake for a few hours at lunch but asleep again - but it's five hours now
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:06pm

Maybe he has got a bit of wind trapped.

When I was winding O I had to really get her moving to get it all out. I had to lean her forwards and then back and then a sort of rolling movement to sort of squish it out. Then I would lean her over my knees on my lap and pat and rub. Then I would sit her back up and do some more patting and rubbing. I did the rubbing up and down.

What may be an idea is to speak to your HV. How are you feeding him? We eventually tried gripw water and infacol. I don't know what age they have to be though. Gripe water just made O sick but the infacol did work for us, however it doesn't work for everyone.

But speak to your HV or midwife chick.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:16pm

It does sound like wind. What we found worked with J when he was really little was to sit him upright on your knee with his head resting between your thumb and forefinger (palm towards him). Hold him straight and put a little pressure with the heel of your had on his abdomen and rub and pat his back with the other hand either that or put him right over your shoulder so that his tummy is actually on the top of your shoulder and getting a little pressure then pat him until he belches, when they are little it can take 10/15 minutes to get all the wind up if they are particularly windy.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:25pm

Grace, my DH could do that cos his hands are big but mine were too small!! So poor O had to put up with me trying everything else!!

kd40

Ace

• United Kingdom

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:36pm

He's a breast fed baby - he just got in to a right panic when he wsa feeding and trashed his head about - DH has managed to settle him, but I'm sure he'll start again soon ;(

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:40pm

I am thinking that it is wind. Breastfed babies do still need winding so it could be that he just needs to do a good big burp.

Speak to your HV and see what she says.

kd40

Ace

• United Kingdom

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:54pm

Will do when I get a health visitor - we've not heard from one as yet! - going to try and ring the surgery tomorrow and see what they're playing at. LO has just had another feed and has been put in his crib - still wigggling loads but at least his eyes are shut now - fingers crossed he'll settle

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:56pm

What I would do is try get some out after each feed. I remember how O was when she had it and it was horrible.

Even if he's asleep, if he's fast on he shouldn't really wake up. In fact being winded used to send O to sleep!!!

Reg: May 14th 2009

Children: We are so lucky - our 'Little Wriggler' Lewis Young arrived safely on 03.09.2010 and we are so grateful to have been blessed again, as he now has a little baby brother on the way :o) X

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 10:10am

Hi KD,

reading your post was like reading about our baby Lewis up until the health visitor came last week!!!! He always seem to be hungry and would never sleep in the day. I called the helpline one night because I was so worried - he wasn't sleeping because he was hungry but he couldn't feed properly because he was so tired, so it was a bit of a vicious circle. All I got from the midwives was 'it sounds like he is having a growth spurt!!!!' When the health visitor came last week I told her all about it and she said it sounded like he was 'grazing'!! She suggested that because breastfeeding is established we could start trying to control his feed times...so now he feeds every 2/2 and a half hours and has to wait. Although he is a bit unsettled for the last 20mins/half hour if he wakes up early he is sleeping a lot better, and is feeding much better too :D She also suggested Wayne giving him a formula feed at night to give me a break and help him sleep a bit longer (because formula stays in their system longer and so in theory they do not get as hungry as quickly as they do when breastfed). It seems to be working, and I think, although I believe that breastfeeding is best and I have on the whole enjoyed it, sooner or later we will be giving into the formula full-time!!!! How's it going for you now hun? Hope things are a bit better X

Oct 07 - BFP - M/C
Dec 09 - IVF - BFP - DS#1 EC/S @ 40+6
Feb 12 - BFP - DS#2 @ 41
My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Stinker76" (Oct 5th 2010, 10:11am)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE