You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "kirstin" started this thread

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Friday, September 24th 2010, 9:19am

Should I continue Breast feeding or give formula ?

I have breast fed my twin girls for 10 days now but finding it difficult to find enough hours in the day and under so much pressure to ensure they both put on weight, Alana is still slightly jaundiced. I could do with some advice this is my story. They both lost nearly 13 oz from birth on day 4 but I wasn't concerned as my milk only started coming in on day 4. I had been tandem feeding on my ez2 twin pillow on my own in hosp and really struggled getting them latched on. As soon as one was latched the other popped off. I was advised to give Lea a top up of formula and that it was ok to give in a bottle. I would of preferred to express but so many midwifes gave different advice. They organised me with a pump and I Started to express and was delighted as had a great supply. I said I preferred to feed with a syringe instead of bottle but they all seemed to think I was mad until midwife came on night shift who was fantastic and she had breast fed her twins. She had same views as me and removed all bottles and brought me syringes. At last someone was listening to me knowing that I wanted BF to be well established before introducing a bottle incase it put them off the breast.
It was great seeing how good my supply was and I then knew exactly how much they were getting. Their weight started to stabilize and we were allowed home. I was tandem feeding and occasionly topping up with expressed milk using a syringe.

Unfortunately they started to loose weight so I realized when feeding them together I couldn't concentrate on whether they were swallowing or just sucking as they feed differently. As Alana would maybe feed for 2 hours but when community midwife checked my latch it was discovered that she wasn't always swallowing. I then decided to feed separately to get to know them better and realized that sometimes I had to unlatch them to get a better latch so as I could hear swallowing. Of course this is a risk as sometimes when you unlatch they are not interested in latching again.
The first 2 nights at home were fantastic and I got more sleep than ever but since then they seem to feed and sleep most of the day and as soon as we give last feed and put them into cot they start wakening up and want to feed off and on all night long.
There weights are now staying the same so they need to be fed every 3 hours and I have to wake them if sleeping. Midwife felt it ok to express into a bottle every other feed and take it in turns who gets breast or expresse. This is going well and they still both like the breast.

I am exhausted and feel there are not enough hours in the day. I am going to copy this post to multiple thread.

I would like advise from twin mummies out there

Is this going to be short term ?
When they get stronger and latch is better will they feed Quicker ?
I feel I am either attatched to a baby of breast pump.
I can cope if it is for the first few weeks but the nights are extremely difficult and I am now really worried how I will manage when Dh goes back to work next week.
Is formula the answer ? Please help ;( Have to go now as just finished pumping

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Friday, September 24th 2010, 10:04pm

Hi Kirstin, firstly I don't think I congratulated you on the arrival of your girls, so congratulations! I'm so sorry you are having difficulties. I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I think that expressing milk doesn't yield quite as much as babies sucking so you might get even more milk if you try to only breastfeed them. I can understand how much time it's taking if you feed them one at a time though, at the beginning a feed would last about an hour with my boys. I'd have trouble keeping them awake, so a feed would be feed-nappychange-feed which was a bit of a faff but the nappy change got them alert enough to try again and make sure they got a decent amount each time. My boys had to have formula top ups a couple of days in the hospital, but they had it from a little cup and bottle was discouraged ( a syringe makes a lot more sense as with the little cup it ended up all over the place). I remember being so exhausted at night times in the beginning that I would fall asleep while feeding, then look down, see sleeping babies and have no clue how much they had fed. The feeds will definitely get quicker as the babies get stronger. If the latch isn't good to start off with, you should definitely try again, I got loads of help in the hospital, I'll see if DH can remember any of the tricks to get the baby to open their mouth. I seem to remember having to be really quick, as soon as there was a wide open mouth, then pop the baby on quick, and if there is a yawn or a cry, then take advantage of it. The babies do learn to latch better themselves too, Finn had a good latch right from the start, Lukas was a super sucker, but he'd start sucking before he had anything to suck, so it was tricky to get him to open his mouth once he'd started. To keep mine alert (but this was when they stopped sucking), the best thing for me was to stroke the baby's ear with my thumb, then as soon as he started sucking, stop the stroking (then they will notice if you start it again). Another thing was let the baby grip your finger, and gently pull upwards. I was also advised to take some clothes off so they weren't so comfy and warm, but didn't do that as that was too time consuming. I do hope things start getting better for you soon :hugs:

Sunday, September 26th 2010, 4:22pm

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I ended up back in hospital on Fri with leg oedema that was not improving and hosp wanted to be sure that there were no clots. This was a great opportunity for me to rest and after 2 good nights sleep as nurses helped me during the night Ifeel a lot more positive about BF and expressing. Thankfully swelling has improved with rest and I have to keep them up as much as possible. I plan to alternate each babies feed with either EBM OR breast and express while they are sleeping so as to be one step ahead. I will see how it goes as I don't want to be sitting like a milk machine. I am expressing now as I type and granny has just arrived back after taking them for a walk.
Girls are doing great andgrowing well. Alana slept from 11am until I woke her at 7 am. Lia slept from 12 md until 5am. I had great support from a midwife last night and she said not to wake them every 3 hours as they are feeding so well during the day. I will just have to see how it goes and hopefully will get back to tandem feeding soon. Alana will feed any time but there is only a small window to get Lia to latch well. Thanks again x

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, October 4th 2010, 10:26pm

Hi Kirstin, I've just congratulated you on your birth thread though I'm sure that will seem like a million years ago already for you!

Your experience sounds very close to mine (i.e. babies good birth weights, mine both lost nearly a pound, trouble latching on etc).

Very early on i was encouraged to express and the twins took a bottle very easily and I persevered with breastfeeding as well. I actually think that bottle feeding helped get the breastfeeding right. i wouldn't worry about bottle feeding EBM if it's what works for you and keeps you sane. If that turns into formula at some stage, whether 100% or a mixed in the day with EBM/bf then so be it. Do whatever works for you and whatever is best for the twins. I would say to breastfeed when you can though as purely expressing (for me anyway) won't keep the milk coming in to the same degree.

Jasper was very jaundiced, though once the weight started going on the midwives were happy that it would go. I just don't think my milk supply ever came in to the degree it should have and for that reason I had to turn to formula but contineud expressing/bf till they were four months. Knowing what I know now, I just don't think I got them on the breast often enough to encourage milk supply and that was down to me not being prepared and rather poor (putting it politely) post natal support.

Having good birth weights for twins is fab in many respects, you avoid so many problems but I'm sure that it also presents breastfeeding issues in that they will need more than a smaller baby and you have two of them! i'm sure in theory we're supposed to be able to provide the demand for two but my own experience proved otherwise and as a mother faced with weight dropping off the babies, I turned to bottle feeding EBM and consequently formula but i have no regrets. yes I would do things differently if given the chance again, but at the same time, I also don't think I did anything hugely wrong either.

Basically honey, just do what you feel is right at the time and have no regrets. When you see the babies getting bigger and losing their precious newborn vulnerability you'll know you did good :D

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 6:51pm

Thanks for advice. Unfortunately I ended up in hospital with postpartum cardiomyopathy and was very ill so had to stop BF and girls are now on formula with a whole new set of problems so need to do a bit of research for advice although difficult to find the time. I am feeling better now and trying to get girls in a routine of feeding together but it is sometimes difficult to keep them awake.
Twins are fantastic but very hard work x

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 3:54pm

Hi Kirstin

I've been away from the boards for a while, so firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your lovely daughters. Sorry to hear you've had a rough time since, but great that you and the twins are both doing well now.

My two were on mixed breast and formula feeding for the first 8 weeks, so I've had experience of both worlds. The midwives in the hospital were quite insistent on introducing formula because my twins were quite hungry from the start and my milk didn't come in until about 7 days. By 8 weeks, they were only breastfeeding twice a day, so they are now just on formula, which coincided with them extending their times between feeds, so it has been a fast moving couple of weeks since.

What problems are you encountering with formula? I'd be happy to share my experiences with you... :happy:
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Tuesday, October 19th 2010, 9:54am

Oh poor you Kirstin, as if it isn't hard enough without being ill as well. I hope you are better still since you posted. I hope too that the formula feeding is going better now. You gave BF the best chance you could, and the other mummies who use formula have thriving babies. Big :hugs:

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

FERTILITYZONE