You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Kangolka" started this thread

Reg: Jun 5th 2009

Children: Lovely cute little girl Mia

Monday, October 4th 2010, 11:23am

Sleeping at night trouble - waking up every 2 hours, any solution?

Hi, All!

Hope you are all doing great and your little ones make your super happy!

We are very good in general, I am just struggling at nights...

My girl is now 4 months old, Breast F only (though I had my share of combi feeding before) and she is waking up every 2 hours for a feed at night, making me total zombi for a day... as I wake too many times :((((

I was putting her to her cot and she was ok with that, but still woke up so many times, and it took me 30 or more minutes to feed her and to put her back to sleep (sometimes successfully, sometimes not, needed to be taken back to breast and rocked a bit to sleep again and then put to cot). It drove me totally crazy ;(

Now I started to take her to bed with me, which makes things MUCH better, but she still wakes up every 2 hours and feed, though I don't have to totally wake myself up anymore (except times I need to go to the loo), which definitely helps.

Anyway, I am reading that many of you have really nice LOOOOOONG night sleeps, almost through the night and was wondering if my situation can be changed or there is no way ;-)))

I have heard of few people giving a bottle as a last feed before night's sleep and this makes babies sleep longer (as slower digestion of formula), but I wouldn't really want to give up to this scheme...

I realize all babies are different, but just wanted to ask for advices anyway and see how other people are coping ;-)))

Will appreciate your answers!

Have a lovely day!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, October 4th 2010, 12:47pm

Hello!

How long has she been waking up for? And is she definately hungry? Or is she after comfort?

Could be she's having a bit of a growth spurt?

Have you spoken to your HV? They sometimes have great little nuggets of advice.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Monday, October 4th 2010, 7:00pm

Hi, my little one was waking about 3 times at four months so totally understand, I was a complete space cadet. He gradually reduced his feeds at night and then at 7 months he slept through for the first time, although it was short lived as he ended up in hospital for 5 days and was woken every hour or so during the night for temperature, drugs etc. Anyway at 8 months I tried the controlled crying route trying to get him to sleep through and had quite a few horrendous nights, so I then introduced a formula feed (up until then he was bf with only the occasional Aptimal if i was somewhere where i didnt feel comfortable bf) and he has slept through ever since (bar once when he was full of cold and couldnt breathe bless him). I'm using Hipp Good Night Milk but I dont think you can give it before 6 months xx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Reg: Jan 27th 2009

Children: DD is almost 4 y.o

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:55pm

We are the same age and having the same problem, only our LO is a very active and noisy sleeper, so even if she sleeps for 2/3 hours in my bed I cant sleep as she is too noisy. We give her a bottle of expressed milk or formula before nighttime and I timed her sleep after both, there was no difference in our case(we use SMA). Unfortunately can't give any advise as I am struggling myself but sending you lots of [zx127]
Let's do it

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 10:24am

Hi!

Ou girls, thank you for comments ;-)

Flic, how would I know if she is just comforting or really hungry? ;-) I guess she is hungry, as she eats, but I might be wrong as I don't think I know how to see the difference ;-)

Oh, Masha, I can imagine your state... poor you! Noisy? You mean she snors? Or she stretches all the time?

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 12:18pm

Is she taking a full feed everytime you feed her during the night or is it just short feeds?

Friday, October 8th 2010, 12:07pm

You know, Flic, they are all quite short ones ;-))

She feeds for 15 min approximately...

But at night she takes longer sometimes if I get out of bed abd feed her sitting up, than she takes around 30 min (not to eat) to put to bed... Trying sometimes more than 1 time...

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, October 8th 2010, 7:42pm

Hmmm, I'm thinking that if its short feeds then it could be that she's not getting the hind milk. I don't know much about breastfeeding but I know a lady who does :D

Let me find the almighty Bells!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Friday, October 8th 2010, 8:30pm

Hi there,
It could be that your baby is trying to boost your milk supply by feeding frequently at night. You would know if she was actually feeding or just comfort sucking - the sucking action is different. Lots of babies start waking for night feeds again at this age, and mums sometimes think it's an indication of their baby being ready for solids, but this isn't so. The mush that they would get at this age would not have the calorie content of milk. I know it's hard having broken sleep, but if you can just go with the flow, you may find things will settle again soon. Babies ARE all different.
Grace had this problem with her Jensen, though slightly different in that he fed 2 hourly from the start. I can't remember how old he was when he started sleeping longer. You could check her diary.
Having your baby's cot next to you means that you don't have to get out of bed, and if you feed lying down, you'll find that you'll fall asleep while your baby is feeding, so you don't miss out on as much sleep.
I hope things settle for you soon. Remember, this is only for a short time in your life - you won't be breastfeeding 2 hourly when your girl is 18! :D

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 11:36am

15 minutes in not necessarily a short feed, Aiden's average feed is 10minutes, could practically time him to the second. He only tended to last longer if either he was adding a bit of comfort to the end of the feed or he was on a bit of a growth spurt. xx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 1:49pm

john is like that. after 13 weeks i've had 5 nights of him sleeping for 4 hours. the rest of the time upto and including now, it is waking every 2 hours throughout the night. 3 hours a day and ever 2 at night. i'd say 2 of them are comfort sucking. but the dummy doesnt suffice. the difference between comfort and hunger for us is comfort sucking he flicks tongur lightly over the nipple and there is no gulping sound. hunger is for want of better expression, deep throat action and you can hear baby swallowing, he gulps so much he occasinally chokes.

best advice is just turn on your side, my baby is usually on his back with head turned, but you can put baby on her side facing you, arm above baby's head, latch on, i put his arm under my breast to raise the boob sufficiently to his mouth, then fall asleep. i only briefly wake up to hoist him out and wind him. then back into bed and a little sleep for next hour and a half.

you could also try napping when she is sleeping in the day, you might not feel as tired then. i personally cant, looking after oldies and my other kids, but it might be worth a try for you.

try and remember it wont last forever, it kind of helps. its my 1st time exclusively bf ing and my hv has said it will calm down once he starts solids, but at this stage no matter how tired i am, im just enjoying the closeness we have.

keep your chin up it will get better i promise, just cant say when

xxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:57pm

Hi, All!

Thank you sooo much for your comments ;-)

Chris,
Mia is feeding like that from the start as well... Had a bit longer periods when I was mixed feeding her and in the 1st month when many babies have funny hours of sleep at night. The longest she slept was I think back now 9 hours... It was unbelievable! I was of course checking on her regularly ;-))

I do like in a way night co sleeping, closeness is lovely, only if my back wouldn't hurt sooo much after. I guess it is straining some muscles and very fixed position...

Cheryl,
Oh good to know that we are not the only fast eaters ;-))) It is great actually that she eats fast, because easier to feed her in public/outside places and just good in general ;-) Before we had at times 1-2 hour feeds, but it was not right and there was a reason for that (tie tongue).

Flic,

this amazing consultant - Louise - who saved us and helped me greatly to get back to breastfeeding, she said something about new research that shows that baby sucks out the hind milk almost from the start of the feed. And that switch nursing (when you keep changing the breasts during the feed, easily can do it few times) is actually a good thing also ( many times I read and heard how not good it is). Plus, I am weighing Mia every week and she gains weight regularly, so it is a good indicator for me that she eats enough and well ;-)))

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 2:08pm

Sorry Kangolka, I meant that if she's not getting the hind milk its not filling her up as much and so feeds more regular.

Great that Mia is putting on weight.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE