You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ros

Megastar

• "Ros" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Monday, October 4th 2010, 2:54pm

only eating puddings - HELP!

Hello, I hope you can help me as I'm not sure how to tackle this one ...

Flora and Ellie are 8 months this week. I was going to move to stage 2 weaning this week but Flora has decided that she won't eat anything with meat in anymore, she won't eat much veg either and we have screams at mealtimes which isn't nice for anyone, especially Ellie, who eats anything I give her. However, Flora will eat any fruit, rice, porridge, fromage frais etc which I give her. She seems to sniff her food first and then decides if she will open her mouth.

I can't really stop puddings as it's not fair on Ellie who has eaten all her meat & veg. And that would mean that Flora eats nothing at all for lunch and tea....she has quite a strong personality already! She is also just 15lbs at 8 months so is very small for her age so I need her to put weight on.
And I can't feed Ellie pudding and not Flora as it feels mean (Ellie is 17lbs). Separate mealtimes for the pair of them would be a nightmare too.

I was making all their food until we moved house a month ago and then started using organix and hipp jars/ Ella's pouches as it impossible to do my own food over the move. They now only like jars and pouches and the other day when I tried to get them onto my food again they gagged, it was horrible.

I was looking forward to weaning, DH and I love food and wanted them to love it too, I know it's early days but I don't know how to move on with it, help please!
x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ros" (Oct 4th 2010, 2:55pm)

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, October 4th 2010, 3:06pm

Ros I don't have much experience of this as I've been very lucky and not had too many problems. I can't stop as DS has just woken up from a nap and I can hear him crying but I will try to get back online soon. In the meantime, have you tried F with finger foods at all? Some of my friends found moving onto finger foods really cut down the tantrums as the babies then felt more in control of what they were eating (I guess).

Will have a think and write more later, if I can.
blowkiss
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Monday, October 4th 2010, 5:06pm

OK, DS is up and playing but I'm not sure how long I'm going to get before he decides he wants my full attention!

So, yes, finger foods might work? We went down the BLW route and the thing they say is "food is for fun until they're one". I appreciate that Flora is small and you want to get her weight up but my experience (which isn't much!) is that they don't eat much solids-wise for the first few months, so the theory that solids will mean they pile on the weight doesn't always hold up (though I'm sure it does sometimes). I assume F is still having the usual amount of milk?

I have to say I think the range of stuff she'll take which you mention seems fine. A bit lacking in meat and veg, true, but it's not only puddings! Fruit is great, and the rice and porridge. (Is the porridge she's having fortified with vitamins, iron etc?) The other thing BLW says is that babies 'know" what they need / can cope with so you might find that Flora is a bit cautious because just at the moment her digestive system isn't up to meat and veg perhaps.

I know it's really hard when it's your babies and it's easy for me to say from a distance and not worrying about their weight or whether she will ever eat 'properly' but I think you probably need just to relax a little bit and trust that Flora knows what she's doing (!). You'll probably find in a couple of weeks she turns into a voracious carnivore! DS seemed to go off fruit for a while but is now a big fan - things change all the time as I'm sure you know only too well!

Oh, and about the jars/pouches etc again just go with the flow if you can. A friend had the same with her DD but now has completely the opposite case where the baby won't touch anything unless it's home-made, much to her mum's despair as sometimes the jars/pouches are definitely the most convenient thing to do.

Last thing, going back to finger foods (sorry - grasshopper brain!). You might find even if F doesn't go with finger foods just letting her 'play' with food might a) distract her enough to the point where you can feed her some meat/veg and/or b) help her get used to the texture/taste of meat and veg so she will take it from you.
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:08pm

Evening! Sorry to hear that things are a little challenging at the moment.

First thing - she won't starve - if she's hungry she'll eat so try not to worry on that score.

Maybe finger food would be a worth a shot. I didn't follow the baby led weaning approach but did more of a mix and match - few bits to hold/chew on and some puree/mashed up stuff too. At the very least it might keep her distracted enough so that you could whizz in a few spoonfuls of something every now and again.

Jars/homemade - try not to worry. I'd just keep persevering with your food and when there's no other option I'm sure both girls will tuck in. Having said that I think that the odd jar isn't something to worry about.

You said you feel mean if you give Ellie a pudding and not Flora - I'd say that you might feel mean but you're just being a sensible Mum trying to do what's best for her children! You're right - it doesn't feel nice to give something to one and not the other (and I have done it a fair few times when my DD2 is playing up but DD1 is doing the right thing) but sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do. I wonder as well if it might actually help the situation - if F sees E getting something yummy because she's eaten her savoury course then it might make her more inclined to do the same?

And finally, can't believe your girls are 8 months old. That has whizzed by!

Good luck - let us know how you're getting on.

x

Ros

Megastar

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:21pm

Thanks for your replies Jessica and Pootle, hopefully it is just a phase and F will go back to veg & meat. I will try some sticks of soft carrots tomorrow to see if she likes chewing on those. I tried squashing some blueberries earlier and giving them to them whole, that was a surprise for them and they were quite interested, so maybe they need to experiment a bit more now. Fingers crossed x

p.s. yes, they are taking the advised amount of milk still, and the porridge etc is all fortified with the right stuff.
p.p.s. I can't believe they are 8 months already, but they are still smaller than the 6 month babies at all my baby groups!

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ros" (Oct 4th 2010, 8:24pm)

Peppa

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:40pm

Hello You!

Yes, wow.....8 months already, that has flown by! Soon time for my next cuddle though :D
I agree with what the others have said - try not to worry hun. Flora is not going to let herself starve and she's still young enough to get by mostly on milk and there's plenty of vits in the formula for her. Just keep trying, that's all you can do really and offer her what you want her to eat and just see what happens. Do you have a chance to sit and eat with them? A nice relaxed atmosphere with Mummy eating the same thing might encourage Flora. Doesn't always work but worth a try!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Ros

Megastar

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:45pm

Good idea Peppa, I will eat soft carrot sticks with them tomorrow. Yum! I usually grab a quick sarnie before or after their lunch but will try to change that. Yes not long until your next cuddles, looking forward to seeing Miss C too x

Peppa

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:51pm

I've eaten worse things :snigger:
Wait until they are offering you food from their spoon and getting offended if you dont take it, C gets upset if i dont eat what she offers me! You'll see how much how she has grown and she'll probably sing to you too :D

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Monday, October 4th 2010, 9:05pm

Yes, carrot sticks are a good idea. Also you can try stuff like banana, avocado, sticks of cheese, cucumber, bread sticks, peach slices, bits of pear ....

I am sure you don't have any time but if you ever do you might find having a little surf of this BLW forum; not to start doing BLW but just to get some ideas re finger foods etc. I had a quick look just now because I'm sure there was a thread on there about first finger foods but I couldn't see it, however I did see threads such as "Won't eat much fruit/veg", "When do I worry about a balanced diet", "What to do about a small (literally) eater" etc.

http://www.babyledweaning.com/forum/index.php ** Link not endorsed by FZ **

Eating with F & E is a really good idea, and trying your hardest not to be appear to be bothered if things go pear-shaped. Like Pootle and Peppa said, Flora won't starve, whatever else happens!
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, October 4th 2010, 10:11pm

I had a similar problem with my DD at around 8-9 months, she also weighed just over 15lb at 8 months. In the space of about 3 days she started to refuse to eat anything off a spoon or any food put in her mouth so I had very little choice but to start finger foods and the BLW approach which she loves, she's an independent little lady and decided it was time to feed herself. We now have every meal with her which has made a difference to what she eats and how much she eats, as she feeds herself I can eat my food at the same time. She still has phases of what she will or won't eat but she eats a lot more.

Good luck and I hope things improve soon.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, October 4th 2010, 10:59pm

Hi Ros

Naughty Flo and her sweet tooth!! :chocs:

you've had some good advice up there ^ ^ ^ and i was only going to suggest as well perhaps more finger food type stuff. Like you I have very different eaters in my two .....DD loves finger foods but eats anything off a spoon as well ( I :heart: her!! ) DS won't put anything in his mouth and if i so much as wave a carrot baton in front of him I'm in big trouble! :snigger:

My advice would be just not to get overly stressed about it. perhaps take puddings off the menu completely??? When i've tried the hipp organic jars of pear/apple puree or bananan/mango mix and the like they are sooooooo soooo sweet, even for me! I just don't give them those anymore but only the veg/meat combos when I'm pushed for time or have forgotten to get something preprepared out of the freezer! :whoops: Any puddings they have now are home made and therefore the sweetness comes from just the fruit. A lovely combo is apple/pear /dried apricots stewed for 8 mins and pureed up......mmm it's yummyness in abundance ! :licklips:

So long as they're having their milk feeds they'll be fine, and i'm sure in not too much time, Flo's tastes will widen too. One of DS's favourites (and he has a sweet tooth) is a red lentil puree (annabel karmel recipe). I'll mail it you if you like.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

AnnieG

Reg: Jun 5th 2009

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 9:04pm

ros,

I so empathise with you.... My DD will be 8 months next week and I started weaning at 5.5 mths becasue we were going on holiday at 6mths for 2 weeks.. During the holiday, I was feeding DD ella's kitchen pouches and porridge... well, as a direct result, I cant get her to eat homemade meat/veg or even fresh fruit.... Every meal, I offer her one of annabel karmel recipes and the odd occasion she will eat it... very very rarely though... there is so much waste it is unreal... When she refusees, I walk away and do something else and try and come back to get her to take a few more mouthfuls .... I have even tried to disguise the homemade in the ella kitchen - she will take a spoonful and then refuse... yet when she see's the Ella pouches she is positively salivating and eats a full pouch, plus a full pot of rachel's yogurt plus some of ellas fruit pouch.... I have tried to replicate the ella recipes and still no success.... today I must have cooked up a kilo of blooming apples, prunes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots (all of whihc will no doubt lend up in the bin)... furthermore, she will only eat stage 1 pouches and refuses anything from stage 2 with a bit of texture or protein.... I only offer DD milk after she has had breakfast as found she wouldnt eat other wise.... She still gets up 2+ times a nite and I am still breast feeding.. I have started to offer some finger foods which she plays with at the moment...

I have to honestly say the weaning process for me has been the most difficult and stressful stage for me since DD was born- as she was such a good feeder with milk, I naevely just assumed that she would take to solids.... I can almost feel myself becoming neurotic about what she is eating.... my intention was always to provide meals from scratch and could kick myself for not puttting more effort into weaning whilst on holiday. that aside DD is putting on weight She was 18ibs 14 Oz 2 weeks ago, so she is not starving.... However, the HV always has a look of concern when I tell her she wont eat meat or fish and has put the frightners on me about her depleting iron levels and how she needs texture to aid speech development (although DD is already saying Mama on cue)... I think I do need to step up on the finger foods....

My husband says that I just shouldnt offer her the ella's kitchen pouches when she refuses lunch and dinner and that she will eat when she is hungry.... I think she is too young to not offer an alternative - plus it is me that has to suffer the consequences of a hungry baby, however, I am concerned that I could be storing up problems later and do not want to become a short order cook... My question is should I be offering her an alternative (i.e. open an ellas kitchen pouch...?

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 9:48pm

Hello, My two are 16 months now and i remember weaning well!

You get all the advice on stage one weaning then you are on your own!

I believe that a babies milk is all they need until they are 1 really, any solids is a bonus really. From what you say your lil lady is taking her milk so she doesnt really need the meat and veg as the milk is all she needs and it sounds like she knows that but does enjoy her 'bonus' puddings.

Try not to worry all you can do is keep offering it and if she refuses it then so be it, just try again another time. I don't feel that giving to one and not the other is fair as they are too young to understand i guess.

I don't mean to sound bossy or i know best i find it really hard to say what i mean how i mean it, sorry if i come across that way x
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Ros

Megastar

Friday, October 8th 2010, 8:51pm

Hi ladies, thank you for your responses - Annie I know exactly what you mean, I hate all the waste and throwing away so much, I've always been careful not throwing any food away. Since I wrote my first post on this, the eating situation has become far worse, Flora is refusing practically everything I give her (other than milk) and Ellie is starting to copy, both of them howling at me at mealtimes is just awful and I feel like I'm failing as a Mum already.
My Mum brought her baby book from the 1970's for me today - there is a chapter about not getting stressed when babies won't eat - it says don't look bothered if they won't take the food, and just stay calm - and the more I try to encourage her to eat, the more she will be determined not to eat, so we have tried today to be cool about feeding and for tea they ate the whole of an ella's broccoli, pears and peas pouch between them. That is progress for me. It will be a long time until they build back up to where we were 3 weeks ago I guess, and I'm desperate to start cooking yummy recipies (I have the one you mention Duffy - thank you) for stage 2, but at least I know I have to stay calm and cool and not get stressed by the (lack of) eating. So we will see how the next few days go .... x

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 10:18pm

You are not failing as a mummy at all, you are doing great, it will get easier with time. before you know it you will be cooking extra of those yummy recipes just so you can share too!
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 7:21pm

I have this problem, to a certain extent, with Martha. She will eat anything loaded with cheese but otherwise it is sweet stuff all the way! She's always had finger food as well as being spoon fed and only a couple of pouches, never any jars since I started weaning her 3 months ago. Sometimes she surprises me and eats other things (beef stew) but usually a tiny bit of savoury is all I can get into her. She will eat scrambled eggs and spinach though! Try cooking your savoury things with sweet potato and butternut squash and then slowly reduce the ratio of those? Just a thought!

x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE