You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bry

Star

• "Bry" started this thread

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 10:44am

To wean or not to wean?

Hi there

Looking for some advice about weaning. My son Henry had been sleeping through from 6.30 pm to about 6/7am from about 3months old. For the last 3weeks his sleep has got more and more disrupted. We originally thought this was due to teething but having tried various remedies with no effect we started thinking maybe he is hungry? He starts waking at about 1ish and then more and more frequently throughout the rest of the night. We are getting up about 8 times most nights. Ususally he goes back to sleep after having his dummy replugged in and being soothed. We don't get him out of the cot. He is very active during the day and is constantly trying to sit up and 'stands' with support under his arms. His sister sleep very well (despite the noise!) and is clearly satisfied with just milk feeds. Henry is also very interested in watching people eating and put lots of things in his mouth. The hv is coming round today and I am hoping she may offer some useful advice...

Any thoughts?

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 11:24am

Hi Bry,

I think you may well find it's a bit of a myth that weaning will sort out disrupted nights. Apart from anything else if you did start this early on you would only be giving such small quantities - and generally not particularly calorific foods (carrot, apple etc) - that it would be unlikely to make any difference I'm afraid. At this age H & R should be getting all their nutritional needs met by milk, so if you did start introducing solids you would have to be careful that this didn't interfere with how much milk H was taking.

It doesn't really sound like H is hungry though. I appreciate getting up so frequently through the night is a nightmare but if he was really hungry I wouldn't have thought the dummy would settle him for more than about 5 minutes, especially towards the end of the night if he starts waking at 1am. However, you know H better than anyone so I could be wrong! Is there any chance you could start weaning him off the dummy? I'm afraid I never had to use one so can't offer any tips on that but I know some people use them to help settle the baby but then take it away - or, at least, I think they do! Hopefully someone will be along soon with some better advice!

Also, finally, the thing about H being interested in watching you eat doesn't mean he's ready to start solids. Babies just are curious little beings, as I'm sure you've discovered, and will be interested in watching all sorts of things at this stage.

It's your decision, of course, and I know you must be desperate for a good night's sleep, so if you decide to try H on solids then I hope it works for you, but I would really recommend you wait till he's older, if you possibly can. We waited till 6 months so were able to go straight into mixed solids (ie: didn't have to introduce things one at a time) and lots of finger foods which was so much easier (I felt) than my friends who started earlier and had to follow much stricter guidelines, schedules etc. Also, none of them found it made any difference to whether their babies woke in the night or not!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 1:20pm

I agree with everything Jessica has said. If it is hunger (rather than comfort) from the dummy) you would be better to up his milk feeds for a few weeks. Maybe try this first to see if it makes a difference? x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bry

Star

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 4:25pm

Hi Jessica and bubble and thank you for the responses. The health visitor has suggested that we go ahead and start weaning hen... I was able to chat to her in detail about the situation and she feels he is ready. Interestingly she said that prem babies often needed to start weaning earlier? I had thought it would mean they started later? We have already upped his milk and there just wouldn't be time in the day for more!! I appreciate it may not help with the sleep but it seems like he is ready. I know he wouldn't be adding many calories as you say but his weight gain has been pretty low this time because he is soo active and every little bit helps!

Health visitor suggests starting with a little baby rice in the morning... What do you think?

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 4:44pm

Hi lovely,

I had exactly the same issues with Georgie at 4 months, so I started her on a little bit of baby rice just before bed time. I would say it made very little difference overall but we were so desperate for a few minutes sleep we didn't know what else to do. I abandoned after a week and started again at 5 and a half months - this time she made it quite clear she really was ready.

We also had issues with Molly regarding sleep so I started playing around with milk feed times - introducing an extra feed for her. Looking back, I'm not sure that was the answer either but again, it seemed like a good idea at the time as it settled her enough for us to gain another hour or so! They really have gone through phases. I spent a while just giving water between 12-5am, if they seemed distressed gave a dose of paracetamol with it. I also stopped removing them from the nursery and just picked them up to burp, gave a quick cuddle to settle and put them down again. I'm not sure if their improvement was due to the approach or them getting older. Sorry, that probably isn't that helpful!

It does get easier I promise, 4 months is still so young. You know your babies better than anyone, there's nothing wrong with trial and error just keep trying until you find an approach that works for you all :xxx3:

ETS: Just reading your latest post Bry, there is so much contradictory advice out there it's mind boggling. If you feel that Henry is ready, there will be no harm in giving some baby rice a go. If he's not that interested you'll soon know!

Moonshine

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 7:55pm

Hard to know what to do for the best eh?!

So - my 2 pennies worth - never heard that prem babies should be weaned earlier (my DD1 was born at 32 weeks). If anything, I would think its the other way as otherwise they'd be weaned extra early if you adjusted that actual age to their gestational age. Plus I was told that prem babies often have sensitive tummies so do better to wean at 6 months.

I don't know anyone who has told me that weaning early helped their baby sleep better at night. I'm not sure that a little baby rice or a bit of fruit/veg would actually be enough substance to have that effect?

4 months is still so little that I'd hang on if possible, if only for a few more weeks.

Having said all of the above, for what its worth - I weaned DD1 VERY early under the care of her gastro consultant, for very specific reasons, and I didn't quite make it to 6 months with DD2 - think we were a few weeks shy of the target.

Its an individual choice and one you're best placed to make as you're his mum. Good luck - let us know what you decide to do.

x

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 10:43pm

Hello Bry,
Just to let you know that the Mavettes used to sleep through, then stopped sleeping through at the same time as your lovely DS. I think its just a developmental thing, it tends to happen, and weaning doesn't really change things one way or another. (Personally I'd avoid early weaning for as long as you can because its more work and takes up time! When your twinnies are older, its less work and they will love food so much more because they can feed themselves).
B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 11:37pm

Bry, I think if you asked all the mums on FZ if weaning had any effect on sleeping, the vast majority would say it made no difference at all. Which suggests that waking in the night at this age has nothing to do with hunger.
Where on earth did your HV get the idea that prem babies needed to wean early? Can you think of any reason why that should be true? I can't! I'd like to ask her for the rationale behind this.
Are H and R still sleeping in your room? Is he close enough that you could just reach out and give him a pat and shh him back to sleep instead of lifting him. If he goes back to sleep with a dummy, then it's just comfort he's looking for.
Apart from anything else, weaning at 6 months is so much easier - you don't have to give them mush, and they can eat finger foods straight away. I wish baby led weaning had been around when I had my children, having seen it in action with Lily.
Hope H settles soon and gets back to sleeping through.

Bry

Star

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 8:45am

Now I'm really confused! Health visitor said perm babies may need to be weaned earlier as they may have missed out on some nutrition in the womb? Doesn't sound that plausible does it! Last night he woke about 7 times between 1.30 and 3 but then slept on till 6.40! can't decide what to do so going to have a think for a few days before starting anything. Also going to make my dh read up and help me decide!
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I want to do what is best for Henry at the end of the day so all opinions are useful....

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 9:53am

Health visitor said perm babies may need to be weaned earlier as they may have missed out on some nutrition in the womb? Doesn't sound that plausible does it

Er.. no!

In the last few weeks of pregnancy a baby is fully made, they have all the body parts and organs etc.. just a little bit of lung development and laying down stores of fat left to be done. So unless you feed them lard (which of course you don't) then this makes no sense at all. First weaning foods which you can give to babies under 6 months are just fruit and veg and rice which have fewer calories than milk. The best advice from the experts (which is based on good research) is to wait until ALL babies are 6 months old regardless of their gestational age at birth. I'm not sure why your HV is contradiciting this and I think you should question her about it. We all know babes who weaned early and are fine (some of us have one, some of us were one!) but the fact remains that weaning before 6 months increases your childs chance of allergies and food intolerances.

I know its hard when you need your sleep, I went through it myself when DD2 was the same age but 2 months does pass really quickly and then you can feed him almost anything!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 11:49am

Hiya,

Ditto what everyone has just said. I have a friend who started weaning at 4 months with all the mush foods and now at 10 months he still doesn't sleep through the night and he doesn't like lumps and doesn't like certain things.

If you can have on for a few weeks it does get soooo much easier. Especially as they still need their milk.

If he's settling with a dummy it could be that he's waking up because the dummy has fallen out which is more for comfort than hunger.

I'm lucky in that my HV is great and is supportive of baby led weaning and waiting till 6 months.

O was stuffing things in her mouth for ages before she was actually ready for food.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 12:30pm

I think your HV is talking rubbish and I think taking a few days to mull it over is a really good idea. I think if the only/main reason for doing it is the sleep thing then I would hold off. I really don't think it's going to help with that. I think Moony's idea of playing around with milk times to squeeze another one is a good one.
Does he sleep well in the day?

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bry

Star

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 3:18pm

He naps between each feed. How can I fit in more milk?! We feed at 7, 10, 1, 3.30 and a split feed and bath at 5.45.... Today he refused his 10 o'clock completely!!!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 4:14pm

How much is he taking at each feed Bry? Over 24 hours he needs approx 2and1/2 ozs per lb. body weight - that's just a rough guide, they aren't all the same. Is he gaining weight ok? and plenty of wet nappies? If so, then I think it may just be one of those things that you have to ride out until it passes. If he sucked his thumb instead of a dummy, he'd be able to find it himself when he wakens.

I do feel for you - it's not much fun having your sleep broken like that, but it won't be forever. :hugs:

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 4:22pm

Hiya Bry

Sorry little H has been keeping you awake [zx127]

Is it worth you trying the dream feed again? I don't know if this is a backward step or not (someone sensible will hopefully answer that!),we still do a dream feed as I don't know if they'd sleep through without it,they may do but I'm reluctant to test the water! also DD is only 11lb so it's a good way of getting more oz's in her,although they don't take a lot. Then again I don't want to encourage a big feed at 10pm!

I guess if it's a comfort thing you'll have to ride it out.I hope you get some more sleep tonight

Take care

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (Oct 6th 2010, 4:24pm)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 4:50pm

He naps between each feed. How can I fit in more milk?! We feed at 7, 10, 1, 3.30 and a split feed and bath at 5.45.... Today he refused his 10 o'clock completely!!!

So how much sleep does he have over the course of the day? I'm wondering whether tweaking daytimes sleeps along with the feeds might help....

Bry

Star

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 9:26am

Hi again
Hen weighs 15lb 8 oz and he has between 6 and 8 oz at each feed. He sleeps for about 3 and a half to 4 hours per day. There doesn't seem to be a pattern between how much he sleeps during the day and whether he has a bad night tho.
Definitely don't want ti start dream feeding as that was the first feed they dropped naturally. It would be a shame to wake him when he is sleeping well!
Last night not so bad. He only woke 4 times and this time they were quite spread out.

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 12:54pm

Hiya

Sorry for the dream feed suggestion,I guess if he's not waking from hunger then that wouldn't help, sorry :O Glad things were better last night.

xxxxx

Bry

Star

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 2:03pm

Hi csam

don't apologise for the suggestion! Any ideas are welcome!!! How are your two doing?

bigkiss

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 11:36pm

Hello I had this problem with My prem twin babies too, stopped sleeping well when they got more active. I may be well away from the point here but it solved my issues. My two as they got more active slept less at night, i realised that they sleep better if they are well rested and not over tired, i actually started to put them to bed an hour earlier then normal. because they were not overtired. They were of course more tired because they were more active. i know this probably seems well off the mark but we thought the same thoughts as you - need more food, teething, but it turned out they were just simply over tired and needed to go to bed a bit earlier.
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Bry

Star

Thursday, November 4th 2010, 11:19am

Just thought I'd pOst an update. In the end I decided against weaning Henry. I bought the baby led weaning book and have nearly finished reading it. I am going to try it as it sounds brilliant to me!
The babies will be 6 months in 2 weeks time so we have highchairs ready and I can't wait. They are both showing interest in eating and food. Evrything is going in their mouths! Henrys sleep has started to improve at last. Last night he only woke once and slept until 7.30! I think it may have been down to teething and am hoping we'r through the worst of it! Also both babies are napping well now during the day which is fantastic. Especially as they are even asleep at the same time most days!
I'm sure I'll be looking for more advice once we start on the solids. Thanks for all your advice on this thread it really did help...

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, November 4th 2010, 11:27am

Awwww Bry!!! I'm sooooo pleased that everything is going well again.

Baby led weaning is great fun and you'll enjoy it so much!!

My DH was not sure at first and now he's totally for it!!

Just wait, you'll soon be planning what to give them as a first food!! I think O had chicken!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE