You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Flic

• "Flic" started this thread
  • Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 11:16am

Snacks

Hello,

I was just wondering what you give for snacks?

We are BLW.

O has started to reduce her milk intake but is still getting hungry well before dinner and tea time. I still give her milk but she only has a couple of oz and wants somthing more.

What sort of things can I give snack wise??

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 11:38am

Kaynan's favourite is raisins. We just put them down and he helps himself although we do find them in the strangest places in our living room lol

He also loves all the organic snacks that tesco do and finds them easy to hold.

You could try different flavours of cheeses- KJ loves garlic.

Fruit is always good- try figs, prunes, apple, orange, melon, pineapple etc.

Breadsticks also good.

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 3:58pm

I made some banana bread, J loves it in cubes. Or you could have cheese on toast on standby in the fridge and grapes (cut up of course) with some nice ripe nectarine. J also likes fruit loaf cut into little cubes.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 4:25pm

Yep all of the above - except the cheese which doesn't go down well here. Fruit toast/teacakes/hot cross buns (for some reason my freezer is full of them!) a;; down well to for more substantial snacks. Also the fruit smoothie pouches with some rice cakes if we're out and about.

As O cuts down on her milk intake Flic you'll find that she really needs a morning and afternoon snack to get her through the day. Sometimes its hard not to give too much so that they're not too full for their proper meal so you may need to keep an eye on that later on as food becomes more important than milk but with BLW you'll find that she learns to regulate her appetite quite well.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 7:57pm

Thanks for all the info. I LOVE teacakes so they could be a great afternoon snack for us!

Morning isn't too bad as she is asleep and we can go straight into a bit of a milk feed and then dinner but when she wakes up from her afternoon nap between 2 and 3 (although today she didn't go down till 2 and woke up at half 4!) she gets crabby before tea time, and then she doesn't really want much milk but will scoff her food down like no ones business! However, I'm guessing her nap times will shrink (even though we've just got them about sorted!) so she'll need the morning snack.

Fruit smoothies sound good too. And rice cakes, I thought about that, where do you get them from?? What is the brand name? I spent ages looking in tesco but could I find any?? Could I buggery.

I am quite surprised at how she knows when dinner and tea time is.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:00pm

Baby ricecakes are with the baby food stuff. Organix make some. And Hipp. (And probably others!). I know Boots do their own organic version as well. The other thing we use for snacks are 'cheerios' - except we buy Waitrose own 'multigrain hoops' version as (a) they are cheaper and (b) and I try not to buy Nestle products. I try not to give them too often though as they are quite sugary.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:09pm

Oh brilliant! Thanks Bubble. DH is going to tesco later so I'll get him to get some stuff! I quite like the idea of a tea cake in the afternoon!!

This is the only support network I've got for BLW (not a single person I've asked here other than my HV have ever heard of it), and after the whole BF disaster I am sooooo determined to see this through because I do believe that this is better for us.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:13pm

There's loads of 'snack stuff' in the baby food section which you could try. Don't be afraid of getting her the 12+ month stuff - you might want to check the ingredients for the salt/sugar content but generally they are labelled as such because of the perceived choking risk. But O is used to lumps and chunks and gumming/biting things so she should be ok if you're watching her closely.

(Although saying that the only times we have had a full on proper choking incident here are with baby rusks and a piece of underripe melon!).

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:19pm

I'll take a look bubble, thanks!

We don't seem to have choking anymore. We very rarely have gagging. I thought she was going to gag and choke today cos she sucked in a huge bit of chicken, like really huge. It took her ages but she chewed it and swallowed it all!! My MIL couldn't believe it!! I couldn't believe it!!!!

I gave O a rusk, she wasn't impressed. Like when I gave her some baby rice. She gave me the biggest look of disgust! Can't blame her really!

Everyone is so amazed at how well she eats, even I'm amazed!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:21pm

Don't blame her - have you ever tasted babyrice?!

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:30pm

Yeah I did. Nasty stuff.

I really do think that BLW should be encouraged more. Especially as they advise weaning now from 6 months. Obviously I know its not for everyone but OMG I think its amazing. My friend has a 10 month old who won't touch lumps, my MIL looks after a baby who's just started stage 2 jars and keeps choking and then refusing to eat and here I am with a baby who shovels in sandwiches, chicken dippers, cheese, rice, beans, peas, sweetcorn, everything!! Today after her yoghurt she went back to her chicken dippers much to the amusement of my MIL!

I just wish that some of my friends with babies looked into it so I didn't get the shocked looks so often.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:56pm

Flicster,
Another BLW convert here, we love it. We have just taken our DDs to Turkey and they loved all the food. Our current favorite snacks are M&S cheese dipers which are bread sticks with cheese dip, raisins, dried apricots, cheese sticks, fruit of almost any kind except pineapple (for some reason), potato cakes, toast, crumpets, salt 'n' shake crisps without the salt. That kind of stuff.

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 10:51am

Thanks Mrs J!! I've given her raisins which she seemed to enjoy.

I just don't know where she puts all the food though!! I'll do a ham sandwich on 1 slice of bread folded in half and she'll pretty much eat the lot bar a few ends that she can't get into her mouth, and then some chunks of cheese and a few of the crisps and then a full yoghurt on top!!

I bet Turkey was amazing with them eating everything.

I am so so sooooo pleased we went down the BLW route.

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 11:08am

I'm a bit confused with blw, what do you do, just give them a plate of food for each meal? Aiden seems to be fine with lumps, i've just tried him on stage 3 jars as the food I prepare for him seems to be a lot lumpier than the jars so thought i'd give them a go and see if he took to them. Dont really like giving jars really, if i do its at lunch time or if we're out and about somewhere. I do give him finger food but i get really worried over what i should give him as i'm terrified about him choking. I put a selection on his bumbo tray, usually toast fingers, grapes and blueberries cut in half, cheese fingers, strawberries and mango cut into chunks and advocado cut into strips. I'm quite shocked and impressed at the things your little one is eating Flic, i'd be terrified, do you cut them down into little chunks/strips or give them whole for her to chomp on? The problem I have with finger food is that i'm worried that he's not eating enough as alot of it seems to end up on his lap or on the floor!

Oh Flic, have you tried Spelt Fingers? The are by Plum, Aiden loves them xx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Cheryl" (Oct 10th 2010, 11:09am)

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 1:57pm

Cheryl, what I do is just do what you said! I put the food on the tray and leave her to it! If she's really hungry I help her out by putting some stuff in first but then she feeds herself. So today for lunch we all had egg sandwiches and some crisps (those organix ones). I cut hers up into quite thick strips so that she can get her hands round them and grip and she picks them up and stuffs them in and bits bits off.

If I can cut into strips that can be held we do that, so things like chicken and lamb, cheese etc. Ham I roll up so she can hold it, I put peas and sweetcorn on her tray so she can learn how to pick it up but usually I give her a few spoonfuls of peas and sweetcorn cos she's not quite got how to put them into her mouth yet.

I don't think we've ever had any actual choking. Lots of gagging at first as she was learning to move the food about but now its very rare we get any gagging. I was a bit nervous at first but when I realised that actually the gagging is part of the learning I just leave her to it.

Also I think the mantra is 'Food is for fun until they're one.' So I don't really worry about how much she has, especially at the beginning as she was still on 7oz of milk before each feed so all her nutrition came from the milk anyway. Then gradually she's slowed her milk intake down and upped her food intake. Today there was hardly any bits left of her sandwiches!!

I think that if you're going to do BLW you have to go for it and just stay calm and not worry about their food intake.

I've not tried spelt fingers, I'll have to have a look!

DH has just gone to tesco (cos he decided not to go yesterday) and he's getting us some teacakes!!!

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 7:46pm

Oh wow, she's eating all the things i'm scared to death of giving Aiden - sandwiches, peas & sweetcorn! Think I need to toughen up because to be honest he's fantastic with food, he's not fussy at all and will try anything, we've had a couple of incidents but nothing too serious thankfully xx
Cheryl

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 7:49pm

Give it a go Cheryl - I bet he suprises you. Peas and sweetcorn can be swallowed whole with no ill effects - you just get to see them whole in the nappy! And sandwiches are soft and mushy so he's unlikely to choke on them either.

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 8:23pm

Go for it Cheryl!! It is amazing. I honestly never thought a baby would be able to eat stuff like we do but she eats everything!!!

He'll learn to bite bits off things like sandwiches, O will happily examine her sandwich before biting a bit off and eating it. She also likes to taste EVERYTHING on the tray, including the sandwich strips which all have the same stuff in them but she like to check!

Just try not to worry how much he's taking. We've been weaning almost 2 months and O has just dropped a tea time feed, today she went from dinner to tea without a milk feed. She then chewed through a sausage, mash and beans and then had a yoghurt and then an hour later had 4oz milk before bed!!

DH got us some teacakes so tomorrow will be having teacake snacks!!! Mmmmm!!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 8:58pm

He'll learn to bite bits off things like sandwiches, O will happily examine her sandwich before biting a bit off and eating it.

Yeah, Nancy used to do that, now she's discovered she can cram soft things in whole and managed to eat 8 banana pancakes in 3 minutes today. :snigger: She's only dinky (about 18lb) so to look at her you'd never believe she could eat that much in one go!

Flic, you've reminded me I meant to get teacakes today and forgot. :rolleyes:

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 9:41pm

Awwww, Nancy is dinky! I bet she's like a gorgeous little doll! We got O weighed on Friday and she'd lost almost a lb (from being poorly) to 18lb 3oz!!

Tilly did that with chicken yesterday! My MIL couldn't believe it, I did actually think 'she's gonna spit that out in a minute' but no, she persevered and eventually swallowed it after about 5 minutes of solid chewing!!!

Once she's had a couple of bites she'll then proceed to stuff as much as she can in her mouth, which usually includes a few fingers and a bit of fist.

She's not sussed that if she opens her hand the food will fall into her mouth yet.

Where do they put it all?? I think O stores all her food in her legs. They're chunky enough and long enough to hold all that food.

You'll have to get your teacakes tomorrow.

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, October 11th 2010, 10:32pm

All of a sudden you'll see that O works out how to put things in her mouth without shoving half her fist in.

Got my teacakes today! :D

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 10:28am

We had teacakes yesterday! Mmmmm!!

Its amazing how things just suddenly click!! If she's got food poking out of the top of her hand she's good and just eats the top but then if enough food doesn't go in she tries to supplement it with some fist!!

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 8:29pm

ha ha, yeah Aidens abit like that and if he's eating blueberries he has it in his clenched hand and then opens the hand fully and trys to put it in his mouth with a flat hand and of course the blueberry falls down his top, you should see the look of confusion when he realises theres nothing in his mouth, bless him. Well i've bought him some milk bread today so i'm going to see if I dare give him a sandwich tomorrow!!! Usually use my bread for his toast but think its probably abit too thick for a sandwich (i tend to get think sliced wholemeal). Silly question I suppose but what do you usually put in your sandwiches? I was thinking either cheese or banana! Do you think humous is a step too far?
Cheryl

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 9:33pm

Do you think humous is a step too far?

Not at all, my two have eaten it from about your DS's age and love it. They also like cheese, ham, tuna and mayonnaise, salmon and mayonnaise, sardines in tomato sauce mashed up, dairylea. They do like to take sandwiches apart and eat the filling first then the bread though. Not sure what age they stop dong that, we haven't got there yet!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 12:14am

Lily eats a huge variety of finger food as well. She likes sandwiches with mature cheddar cheese and either tomato or cucumber slices. She loves kiwi fruit, but the chunks are difficult to pick up because they're so slippery, but she's very patient, chasing bits of kiwi round her table, till she corners a bit and scoops it up over the edge. :snigger: Tea tonight was to be fish fingers and homemade oven chips. I don't know what veg, but there would probably be a variety.
This baby led weaning is great - I really wish it had been around when I had my babies.

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 8:29am

With the sandwiches Cheryl when I first started I got the rolling pin out and flattened them! Now I just squish them flat with my hand for her.

We have ham and cheese in sandwiches mainly but she will eat absolutely anything!!