You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JMB

Ace

• "JMB" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 6th 2008

Children: One wonderful Son

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 9:28pm

Not sure if I've started to wean too early ..

We started to wean our son last weekend, 24 weeks old, but now I'm not sure if we're doing the correct thing. His sleeping pattern, esp at night have become worse, I'm now up at least once or twice a night again and for last 2 days he's not been too keen on his baby rice. He loved it last weekend and we tried it on it's own for a few days, then I introduced some pureed apple which he ate, but he wasn't too keen when I tried sweet potato. He's now not even too keen on plain baby rice. I also tried him on a fruity cereal one morning which wasn't received too well either. Should I just persevere or should I go back to just milk for another few weeks and then try again? He was 5 weeks early so his adjusted age is only 20 weeks, have I started him too on solids too early? I would appreciate any advice/input.

Many Thanks,

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 9:43pm

Hi J,
I imagine there was some reason you thought he was ready to start weaning, or did someone else suggest it? He should enjoy food, so if he's not keen on what you're giving, then maybe leave it a bit longer. Six months is the recommended age to start weaning, but since his adjusted age is only 20 weks, perhaps he's not quite ready. Don't worry about it, he'll soon be eating you out of house and home!

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 9:52pm

My HV had suggested that I ought to start to wean him. He loved his food on days 1 and 2, and he was in his bumbo on these days when I fed him. I've since then fed him in his high chair as he wasn't too keen on the bumbo after a while, but he's not too keen on his high chair either :(

He used to sleep through the night but not any more, and he's become worse since we've started to wean him. I gave him a dream feed at 11pm last night to see if that would make a difference but it just pushed the time that he woke up back by an hour.

I think I may leave it for a week and then try again, I just don't want to get this wrong as what we give him to east just now will form his eating habits later on.

Thanks Fi'smum for your thoughts and advice :)

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 11:55pm

Hello, sounds like baby is not quite ready yet, my two were prem too, 11 weeks but i did start to wean at 6 months. It was hard going sometimes they took it sometimes they didn't. If they got fussy and wouldn't eat i would leave it a week then try again. I also started with just one meal a day and tried the same food for a few days before moving onto a new flavour. Mostly they regected the new flavour on the first day and then accepted on the second. Go with your instincts hun and take one day at a time. If he regects food then try again another day. Sure is a long process but good luck x
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 10:46am

Hiya,

Was there a reason your HV suggested to wean early?

We waited till 6 months even though I had friends trying to make me give O mush and stuff earlier and now I am sooooooo pleased. You said you don't want to get it wrong as it will form his eating habits later on, we do baby led weaning (have a look at the threads) and a month on I'm the only one with a baby who will eat solids, my friends 10 month old refuses lumps completely, where as O will have sandwiches and chicken, lamb, everything! I have also found it a lot easier because she eats exactly the same as us and we can all eat together.

If your LO was sleeping through and wasn't having any problems on milk then I would hold off because he obviously doesn't really need anything other than his milk.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 10:50pm

Thanks for your comments Flic, the consensus is to leave him for a week or two and then try again, which is what I think I'll do. He isn't sleeping through the night any more, hasn't been for a few weeks now, but he's not too keen on food at the moment either :(

I'd love to try BLW but I'm frightened that he'll choke, but also don't want to just feed him puree's for ages either. I think I'll try a combo of both but I'll try him again with just rice in a week or two and see what response I get. Glad to hear that O is doing so well. I must admit to being a lurker on your diary :)

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, October 11th 2010, 8:39am

Jess, seriously try BLW. It is amazing. We've never had proper choking incidents, a fair amount of gagging though. I think that they can choke on whatever you give them. O's choked on her milk before.

BLW is great because it allows them to feed themselves so they can't put too much in their mouths really. They learn very very quickly.

Lurk all you like honey!! I wish you could see O eating. I'm gonna take a film of her eating dinner later I think.

I was really paranoid about how much she was eating and the whole choking thing but once you've seen them gagging once you know exactly whats happening.

We spoon feed things like yoghurt and mash and beans and smooth pureed stuff and then leave her to it with stuff she can hold on to.

If you do give it a go then I think its something you need to go with and not worry about how much they're eating at first because soon enough they fill their little faces!!

We've been BLW for nearly 2 months (ish) and O will now happily eat anything!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE