You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• "Bells" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 1:51pm

Six Months of Breastfeeding

The government want us to breastfeed for at least six months, we currently have one lady who has done so.... Sunshine! :))

It's the ultimate goal to feed exclusively for six months but many of us supplemented with solids before this stage.

Do we have any other Mums who were still feeding at 6 months or beyond? Do you aim to still be feeding at 6 months and beyond? What are your hopes and fears on feeding at this age?

**I'd like this thread to stay on the topic of extended feeding if possible please** :))

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:02pm

My aim is to breastfeed for six months minimum!

I am working with plenty of people who brings in a nanny for feeds whilst working and I can also have the baby with me at work.

DP and I both work mostly from home so it will be a joint effort. If i have a day away then I plan to express milk at work and DP can give frozen stock.

My friend is BFing her 2 year old and he seems to benefit from it so we will see how long I will manage!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Saz

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:17pm

I still want to be feeding at months. Worries.... loads!! Teeth and the fact I go back to work in 8 weeks just for starters!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:23pm

Teeth are no problem. Baby puts his tongue over his bottom teeth and the angle of the top teeth mean that they lie flat along the breast. Try sucking your own finger while tilting your head back. Extra cautiousness is needed if baby laughs or suddenly bites down while squirming.... always have a finger at hand to release the beast :D

Are you going back to work full or part time? Sunshine is your best source of advice for feeding EBM and you might be thinking of weaning by then anyway. By that stage you could've dropped your feeds to morning and night, supplement during the day or give solid food without it denting your milk supply because by then you'll have your body finely tuned.

Saz

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:28pm

Going back part time. Already thinking of questions for Sun!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:38pm

Don't forget to add yourself Bells. You breastfed both of yours for ages and you deserve a pat on the back too. You and Sunshine are an inspiration to me. I'm determined to do 6 months minimum and longer if possible. I'm going to a wedding next June and would love to still be breastfeeding then. There are lots of young girls in the family who may well become mums in the next 5 years and it would be nice to set and example, also I want to get into a size 12 dress!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 2:48pm

Aye but I finished ages ago :D I also had the luxury of not working while I was feeding, always easier!

My first child was weaning at 15 weeks (guidelines were 'around' 16 weeks at the time) was probably fully weaned (can't remember) by 6 months so although I was still breastfeeding on demand I wasn't her only source of nutrition.

The thing I liked about feeding at this age was that if we were out and about somewhere I always felt equipped to deal with hunger, thirst, pain or upset.... just because I'd taken my boobs along. It was as much a safety net for me as for them and a reassurance that I could comfort them quickly and without fuss.

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 9:18pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
I always felt equipped to deal with hunger, thirst, pain or upset.... just because I'd taken my boobs along.

Good thing boobs aren't detachable with zips or velcro or else we might forget them. :P

I breastfed DS1 until 9 months old and only stopped because I wanted to do an FET cycle to give him a sibling. I would consider going on longer with DS2 because it really is such a gorgeous bonding thing to do and highly convenient as Bells says.

In answer to the question about teeth, DS1 once clamped down on my nipple with his gums (thankfully no teeth through), but my reaction was such that he worked out pretty quickly not to do it again. Release the pincers fast and make it clear (maybe by not letting them re-attach immediately) that's it's not a good idea. Even waiting for one minute (a lifetime as far as a hungry baby is concerned) would give them negative feedback that a bite doesn't give them what they want.

The 6-month guideline is an interesting one as it is based on the recommendation from the World Health Organisation. They have to make a policy that applies to every country in the world, and so of course countries that have very poor food alternatives and poor sanitation do best to continue breastfeeding with no solids for as long as possible. The circumstances are different in a developed country like the UK. I read up quite a lot of scientific literature when DS1 was about 4 months and saw little or no evidence to suggest that prohibiting solids till 6 months had any benefit at all. To continue breastmilk as long as possible is good, but solids introduced any time after 4 months seems to be ok, as long as there isn't a history in the family of allergies, or evidence of eczema or asthma in the baby. Don't quote me on this, and please don't ask me to find the papers that I found on this, but I don't think people who want to "do it right" should beat themselves up about starting solids before 6 months if the child really needs it. To wait until at least 4 months is to be advised though. I definitely agree that breastfeeding beyond 6 months is good and to be encouraged. My DS1 didn't have any cold or any illness until after I'd stopped breastfeeding him so that's reason enough for me to continue that long this time round too.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 9:36pm

A very good point about illness too Limpet. When DD1 got chicken pox DD2 didn't even though they had been in full and continuous contact with each other.

I remember that she did get one sniffle but being able to fight chicken pox is pretty good for an infant's immune system.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 9:43pm

Bells that's what i love the fact that I can just stick my boob in DDs mouth if she is hungry or teary and she is happy! Mine are still attached to me thankfully - they swing a bit more now and I fear they will end up sagging to my knees soon!

What does happen to them after BF?

As for 6 months I can see myself still soley BF.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, August 4th 2006, 4:32am

I must point out that we started DS trying some solids about a week or so before 6 months because he was HUNGRY & interested in food & on the advice of our paediatrician. I was still breastfeeding though.

DS has been in contact with all sorts of diseases and never caught them!

Friday, August 4th 2006, 4:28pm

I plan on bf DD for as long as she wants it - seriously! I may well be one of those weird women you hear about!. I would probably stop doing it in public after about a year or so though - just limit it to night time feed or something. It also depends on whether we go for FET - that will obviously force me to stop sooner ;(

Its interesting what you say about weaning before 6 months. I have to admit I decided to start DD off on baby rice. The reason I did this was because she is such a fussy thing about taking anything other than me I was worried that she may not take food at 6 months. It sounded to me that at 6 months it was a bit of a rush job in getting them to eat protein quick enough for their nutritional needs. I started this week - just a wee bit in the evening (1 tsp with EBM) of course DD loves it so I need not of worried at all!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Friday, August 4th 2006, 4:32pm

She's plenty old enough to be coping with that Primrose, it's a nice gentle introduction for her.

Friday, August 4th 2006, 4:51pm

thanks bells thats really reassuring

Saturday, August 5th 2006, 11:42am

lol - DS HATED (H.A.T.E.D. :rolleyes: :D ) baby rice

however, pear & banana is G.I.V.E.M.E.M.O.R.E.N.O.W.!!!!!!!

sweet potatoe is apparently Y.U.K.K.Y. :rolleyes:

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Saturday, August 5th 2006, 12:32pm

A lad who knows what he likes!!!!! ;) :rolleyes:

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 7th 2006, 9:43pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine

sweet potatoe is apparently Y.U.K.K.Y. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with him I H A T E sweet potato! Y U K K Y

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, August 7th 2006, 9:46pm

Sweet potato yummy!!!!!!!!!!
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, August 7th 2006, 9:46pm

I must be really lucky cause my two like everything!!!
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 9:07am

My ds does too!!!

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Wednesday, August 9th 2006, 8:07am

i expressed for 17 weeks with joe.......wish i had been able to bf him myself but he still got all the goodness with the ebm...if i was lucky enough to get pg again i'd definitely do it for 6+ months if i could

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 8:53pm

I am going to BF for 6 months, I have decided to not go any longer than that.

My reason are I have PCO and I can feel them taking my body over again, skin, weight ect the only thing that seems to deal with this is metformin and I can't take that while BF X(

Feel quite sad about it :(

Saz

Monday, September 18th 2006, 8:54pm

At least you have made the decision now.

I think I will probably be the same tbh.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 9:01pm

Give yourself a bit of time to wean your babies off the boob so that you don't get sore. If you've decided to go for 6 months then at 5 and a half months start to decrease and give yourself another two weeks after 6 months to shake the final feed. That way your bust can deflate gradually and it won't be as much of a wrench when you drop the final feed.

....and well done ladies :))

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 9:30pm

So if I start to wean M at 5 months then at 5 1/2 start to take her off the boob then introduce formula as replacement? by 6 1/2 months she will be having solids and formula?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 9:41pm

If that's what you want to do!

Just leave yourself time to adjust. It will make it much less fraught if you drop feeds gradually, she may even self wean when she gets used to bottles.

It does depend how well she takes to her solids. If she's on three meals a day with puds, drinks and snacks you may only be giving two breastfeeds per day, drop one with ease and you only have the other to think about for the remaining week or so. I would play it by ear but have a rough plan so that you're working towards the goal of totally stopping by 6 and a half months. You can miss a couple of days at a time by the end but you know it's easier for her too... it's not as final as just 'stopping'.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 10:00pm

Might make it easier to deal with. why is it so hard to get my head around though?! gonna be a sad day for me :(

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 10:07pm

Just do it gradually and it won't be such a wrench. They all decrease the amounts of feeds at that age anyway as milk is replaced with real food. It's only another 6 months until they can knock back a glass of normal milk out of the fridge... it's such progress and it's beautifully easy when that day comes.

Don't worry about it and don't feel bad about it. If it's too hard then you don't have to do it.... no one's going to force you.... just do what feels right and keep doing it until you feel that the time has come. Just decrease the feeds and work towards two then one breastfeed. Then leave it up to baby, she'll soon forget the boob and you'll be liberated.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 10:13pm

I am trying to look at the probably shelfish positives

1. Being able to go out for the night
2. Having my MIL babysit for the day
3. not having that horrible sweaty feel at night- does anyone else get that? ?(
4. No sore nipples
5. Wearing an underwired bra!!!!!
6. Wearing a top that isn't 2 sizes too big, or buttons up the front!

Still going to miss it though xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 18th 2006, 10:34pm

lol.... :D

Those are perfectly acceptable reasons to stop feeding but on the flip side..... in a couple of months you would only be feeding morning and bedtime anyway and your boobies would shrink too even if you carried on feeding. You could do all of those things and still keep up a feed if you wanted to.

I know you want to start taking your medications again and that's fair enough but if you're reluctant to stop feeding then there's always a compromise of keeping one feed (say morning for example) and dropping the night feed. Once she'll take the bottle you can miss a day or two and your milk will decrease on its own but you can still offer the feed as a supplement. You don't have to stop cold turkey, you can drag it out for weeks.

It can either be final or not, you can do whatever feels right.

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 11:49am

I dropped a feed a week, from 6 months. So DS was almost 7 months by the time I finished fully BFing.
I was feeding 5 times a day (1 morning, 2 daytime expresses, 1 bedtime and 1 dream feed).
In the first week DS himself dropped the dreamfeed at 10pm - didnt need formula, just the solids were starting to fill him up.
then I dropped one daytime express for the next week. the week after the second daytime express.
the week after the morning feed, and then the week after that the evening feed.
dropping each feed was weird and it enhanced my PND - I got extremely depressed about 36 hours after dropping a feed and my doctor said it was due to the hormones moving around. it got better again by 72 hours though.
the hardest feed to adjust to was the last one and instead of it only taking a day or so for my body to stop producing milk it took around two weeks and was quite uncomfortable.
the last feed I didnt know if it was going to be the last or not. I just prepared lots of bottles the following day and the evening the following day I got DH to feed DS as my boobs ached to feed him - I had to do this for the two weeks until my milk subsided!

I have now got really itty bitty titties though - size A! 8o :(

pout

On the plus side, I was able to take medicine for the PND which actually helped me and wouldnt affect DS through the breast milk. And interestingly for us, his eczema isnt perfect now, but it has improved an awful lot since I have stopped breast feeding.

Friday, September 22nd 2006, 7:37pm

Just from the other side of things, I always planned to stop BF at 6 months but DD has other ideas! As she refuses to have a bottle I'm a bit stuck! she has started to reduce the amount she feeds though since having solids - the only reason I know this is because I'm leaking like crazy which is really embaressing. Also I keep finding that one boob is going really hard and lumpy - bit worried I may get mastitus ;(. No matter what DD eats during the day she still wakes at night for a feed too - infact this last week or so she has woken more often in the night but I wonder if her 'no-teeth' are bothering her. What I am going to try and do next week is drop the lunchtime feed as she has always mucked about with that one anyway - sometimes though I feel she'll never stop feeding... she seems so hooked on it, even if its just for a couple of minutes she seems to need to have that reassurance, goodness only knows how I'll cope if I go back to work ;(

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 4th 2006, 9:46pm

Primrose I am going through the same thing!

DD is having solids and being BF she has had a few FF and is fine with the bottle now, my problem is she will only have 3oz of the bottle pushes it away and goes for my boobs what do i do ???

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Saturday, November 4th 2006, 9:53pm

What do you want to do Chilli? If you want to stop the bf then you'll have to be strong and not offer the boob. It might take a while but eventually she'll stop going for it. If you're not too fussed then carry on as you are.

There's no right or wrong and you can mould her to your decision of you want to cease bf. If you're certain then you mustn't waiver as it will confuse her. Distraction, distraction distraction!!!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 4th 2006, 10:44pm

I love BF it makes me :tears: to think of stopping but I must!

i know I need to just do it but i give in to easy!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Saturday, November 4th 2006, 11:18pm

:D With my first I only carried on for so long because I kept giving in to those puppy dog eyes and it's just easier to whip your buster out than deal with the crying isn't it?. It really is down to whether you give in or not. If you must stop then you must stop. If it's no big deal then you can carry on giving in.

It may be hard work for a week or two but she'll soon forget about it. You just have to be tough for a wee while.

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 6:05am

hmm, well I had to get someone else to give DS a bottle when I was trying to drop feeds - either my nanny or DH, as DS would just go for boobs over bottle (fair enough!) when he could smell me. If I wasnt around then he would wolf the bottle down. Could you enlist the help of a close friend or family member for a while to give them bottle feeds?

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 7:53am

Yes you are right I she has bottle as night which DH gives her and I leave the room she will take 5-6oz of that. But during the day I am here on my own so i it tends to be BM as she will only have 1 or 2 oz from the bottle.

She will be 6 months next week so I am going to get to that point (in my head it sounds normal!) and just offer bottles I need to be strong!

I suppose aswell when you BF on demand and then stop there is this whole new concept of certain times and amounts of milk, suddenly my day is spent working out what time DD will need feeding?!

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 7:59am

Chilli, I know I only managed to BF for 3 weeks but I was sooooo sad when I made the decision to stop. I cried lots and was so tempted to go back to it for my selfish reasons and the fact that B is best.

However, that was after only 3 weeks. It will be tough for you, although I was feeling very very guilty although it was advised by MW and HV that I stopped as C was not agreeing wtih it.

Keep your chin up, you have done so well to have gone this long you really really have, I wish I could have and if I am lucky enough to get pg again, I hope and pray I am able to BF as you have.

Thinking of you :hugs:

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 8:17am

Aww thank you hun i really appreciate that. :blowkiss:

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 8:50pm

Chilli
just wanted to reassure you that it does get easier - a month on DD is now only having 3 feeds - one in the morning, one at around 6.30pm and a last one anytime between 10pm and midnight - now I can definately see light at the end of the tunnel and I am now doing paid work one day a week too! Despite my fears it has been relatively easy to cut her feeds - we sort of did it by mutual agreement LOL!. First I cut her lunchtime one out, which she actually hardly missed and then, because of the meals she was having she started to sleep through her 3am feed (hooray at last!) the worst one so far was the late morning feed because we used to cuddle up on the sofa so I missed that closeness but you can substitute it with other little routines. For instance I sit her next to me and read to her. The advice appears to be 'not to offer bf but not to refuse it either' I must admit I didn't really give her a chance to 'ask' for a feed I make sure temptation isn't in her way and distract her with other things. At the moment I am trying to get her to drink ff from a spouted cup mid afternoon but its slow going!

For me I am quite scared of giving up the reassurance of being able to bf for practical reasons (for instance if we were held up somewhere without any food for her or when she's ill etc) but the closeness thing isn't so much of a concern because TBH its getting more and more like trying to feed a tiger cub - I virtually have to have her in a straight jacket to stop her doing me some serious damage!

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 8:52pm

PS! friends of mine have found that as their babies have started to get older they have started to reject bf in favour of bottles because its quicker and easier for them so there is hope on that score too

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, November 5th 2006, 8:57pm

LOL!

Thank you Primrose. My little angel has 3 teeth at the bottom and quite often has a chew on mummys boob then after i have gritted my teeth and prised her jaws apart she smiles :evil2: this happens almost every feed except the early morning one where she is till a bit sleepy and that is our close time.

I to am worried about the not having food on tap in a crisis, today I was in a traffic jam for 1 1/2 hours, she slept the whole time but I kept thinking "what if" but I supoose just be prepared at all times!

Monday, November 6th 2006, 3:14am

lo @ tiger club! yep - I soooo empathise with that one! part of me was very glad not to have that struggle on my nipple every day! :rolleyes:

girls, when/if you do move to bottles or formula, you do just have to make sure that you pack enough powder & bottles - it isnt as easy as bf-ing.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, November 6th 2006, 6:16am

Wow chilli, didn't realise your little one had three teeth! Does she look really grown up? I think littl eplum will look like a totally different person when she has teeth and hair.

Saz

Monday, November 6th 2006, 7:46am

I can't even imagine R with teeth!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, November 6th 2006, 7:55am

It's weird thinking of them with teeth isn't it? DS is still gnawing & chewing but no signs yet. :(

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, November 6th 2006, 8:30am

Same here!

Saz

Monday, November 6th 2006, 8:31am

Same signs here!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, November 6th 2006, 9:48am

It is weird and does look cute, this time though there were no signs at all, she was a bit grumpy but no dribble she tried chewing on stuff but she always does that anyway?!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE