You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SCOTTIE" started this thread

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Wednesday, October 27th 2010, 9:27am

When & how did your LOs stop breastfeeding? At almost 13 months think my wee lady is done :(

Hi all

I have breastfed B for over a year now & over a period of months she gradually dropped her feeds on her own to leave just her early AM feed. Well this am she didnt even have that one ?( I have to admit she has showed less interest/less time on the breast for a few days now. So is that it are we done?????? I am really quite :sadface: that BF'ding appears to have come to an end for us but also very proud that we have BF together for over a year : D But on the other hand I am also relieved that she seems to be choosing to stop herself as I have friends who have had real issues stopping when they decided they wanted to.

Anyway just wanted some feedback as everyone I know has had to initiate stopping breastfeeding themselves but it appears B has made this decision for us [zx127]

p.s My (.)(.) feel ok as well ?( ....will they get sore or because she has reduced her feeds so gradually in both frequency & length will i be ok?
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SCOTTIE" (Oct 27th 2010, 9:29am)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, October 31st 2010, 6:34am

Hi Scottie, I keep looking at your thread and thinking that I must reply when I have time (hah!). Well done on such a successful breastfeeding relationship. This thread is how we stopped Stopping For us what worked was 2 weeks in an all inclusive resort in Turkey which is HIGHLY recommended, we had a great time. However I appreciate that may not work for everyone, but what worked I think was a change of routine. I was actually terrified that we would get back and have a bad time getting her to settle back into sleeping all night but she got that straight away so we started letting her settle without a feed and then just stopped feeding altogether and its worked like a dream. I still miss it though, I think I always will. Now I am working on persuading my DH that we need to ttc again!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, October 31st 2010, 2:11pm

Hi Scottie

How are things now?

We stopped in a very similar way to you, at a very similar age. We'd cut down to morning and bedtime feeds, then just bedtime, then she would sometimes refuse those, so sometimes I didn't offer, just to see whether she would go completely without and she did. I kept offering for a while and she kept refusing, or just taking a little bit and then messing around on the bed. So basically we stopped very much on her terms - she just wasn't interested any longer. It sounds like B is doing the same. I felt the same as you with very mixed feelings about stopping completely but also I felt SO proud that I'd done it for so long and that we stopped on her terms. I was never uncomfortable when she stopped as the frequency and amount she was taking had reduced so much. Well done you for feeding for so long!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

• "SCOTTIE" started this thread

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Thursday, November 4th 2010, 7:47am

Thanks Mrs J & Bubble for the replies :)

As I expected B had definetly decided to finish BF'ding on her terms :P She never attempted to feed again after that 1st am when she didnt & we are over a week in now, so thats us done. As you said as well Bubble i have never been uncomfortable since she reduced so gradually. I am a bit taken aback as to how EASY it was, very HAPPY that my wee lady made the decision & very PROUD that we BF together for OVER A YEAR :D (we even achieved a new family record as well :snigger: )

TTFN x
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 4th 2010, 9:20am

I'm sorry I missed this because my DD2 stopped feeding when she was 13 months too, in exactly the same way. Like you, I was pleasantly surprised that it just happened by itself, both of mine have self weaned from the breast and both times it was as you've all described.

Well done for feeding for over a year! It doesn't seem like two minutes since you were new on here, ttc and we were talking about your dogs. I can't believe you've come so far and I'm very happy that you have! x

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 12:32am

Well done Scottie!

Cody gradually self-weaned and just stopped at 15 months. So we are all done as well! Feels like the end of an era, I am missing the closeness, especially the early morning getting him in bed with me to start the day with a feed and a snuggle. But it also feels like the right time, as he's really transitioning from baby to toddler, and in so many ways saying to the world, "Bah I'm done with all that baby stuff!"

Clever wee lad, Cody was just 2 days ahead of the date I had to start drugs for an FET cycle so I am so pleased I didn't have to hit that deadline and refuse him.

A bunch of my friends children got to that 13-15 months age and had the same thing happen. The exception is the two people I know that are co-sleeping, that seems to make a big difference as they are still going at 21 and 25 months, I guess then BF might be serving doubly as a pacifier as well as a snack in the night so that probably encourages it to go on longer?

Anyways, feeling very pleased with myself for hanging in there after an awful rocky start (of milk coming in late, mastitis scares, bleeding nipples, tongue tie + floppy larynx so he chocked unless fed sitting up.... ). It was soooooooooo worth persevering - since now I've been left with a really positive experience which will make the world of difference if we are lucky enough to manage getting pregnant again. I will actually be looking forward to BF again and have the security of knowing if things go wrong again its only a temporary glitch that we can def get through!
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Deidre" (Dec 7th 2010, 12:33am)