You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "claire_A" started this thread
  • Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Friday, November 12th 2010, 10:44am

General breastfeeding/bottle/sippy cup after 6 months

Hi, bit confused with liquids etc. and weaning. My boys were exclusively breeastfed until 6 months when they started solids. Now they get morning BF, then 3 meals each followed immediately with BF, then last BF before bed, and sometimes there's a night BF or two aswell. Would really love to start reducing BF aas been going a bit insane and DH wants to give me some time off. They've never had a bottle so tried going straight to a sippy cup, and tried 2 differrent sorts with both water and formula without much success. They still have to suck with the cups so that may be a problem. As I currently do it, will they be getting enough liquids? Should I try a bottle rather than a cup? Would a non-suck cup be better? Any advice appreciated, don't know if I should really have put this in BF or bottle thread.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Friday, November 12th 2010, 11:06am

Maybe start with a bottle first and when they get used to that, introduce a cup. I'm by no means an expert, only got the one, Aiden was exclusively on breastmilk until he was about 8 months but we did introduced a bottle early on so DP could do some ebm feeds and also so my SIL and bestfriend could have him from time to time to give me/us a break. Wow you've done amazing to do it all yourself for all this time, bless you, you must be tired xx It sounds like they are getting enough liquids to me, Aiden is not breastfed at meal times any more, he has a breastfeed first thing, then porridge with banana and a sippy cup of water an hour later, solid lunch with a sippy cup of water, formula mid afternoon, dinner with a sippy cup of water and then formula before bed (has slept through since he was about 8.5 months so no night time feed). I was told that they dont need extra liquids as the breastmilk and the liquids in the food would be enough unless it was really warm but I introduced water at meal times quite early on because Aiden didnt really want a breastfeed along with his solids for very long. Hope i've been some help xx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, November 12th 2010, 12:03pm

Hiya Claire

Hope you are all well.The boys sound like they are doing great with weaning,we've started the twins this week,there are not enough hours in the day! My DD1 has just gone to my mums for a few hours and the twinnies are in bed,so thought I'd add my experience.

My DD1 was exclusively BF and would never take a bottle,I used to give her a sippy cup with water at meal times and she worked out quite quickly how to use the cup (although she'd never take milk in it :rolleyes: !),she eventually took milk in about the 50th cup we tried,she was 8 months and that's when I stopped BF. I was quite keen to stop BF and my DD probably only had 2/3 bf at 7 months and a wise lady on here said that 2 good Bf (and 3 meals a day would be fine,tho my DD was small),I think you probably could cut out some of the Bf and your boys would be fine (but obv I'm no expert,my DD did much better with solids and 2 good Bf,rather than not so good with solids and faffing about at most BF,but I realise your boys could be doing well!).

It worked for us in the long run not having to wean of a bottle but Cheryl has given great advice,and I was told that about not needing extra fluids etc.

P.s what 'schedule' did you follow when you started weaning the boys? My 2 are bottle fed but I'm not really sure when to do breakfast,I think I need to tinker with the timings!

Take care
xxxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, November 12th 2010, 12:53pm

Hiya,

O has been bottle fed. We started baby led weaning at 6 months. Now almost 9 months on we're still not great with the cup. In fact I've just bought another type with a soft spout which I tried for the first time today and was much better. Also on Grace's advice I drink from the cup first so she sees what she's supposed to do.

I think that then need time to get used to the different suck and the different tastes.

O wouldn't take water but I just kept offering it. Now she will drink water from the cup in a fashion but not much.

She has 4 feeds per day taking between 4 and 5 oz. One in the morning before breakfast, another about 11 before dinner at 12, then another at 3 or 4 before tea at 5 and then one about 6.30 before bed.

With weaning they still need their milk as its very important to their growing. If I had BF I wouldn't bother with introducing a bottle because they will need time to get used to that and then need more time to get used to the cup. Its very much trial and error.

The sippy cup will be something completely alien to them, and having something in their mouths that isn't yummy breastmilk, eugh!! But they will get used to it!!

I even tried to 'con' O into thinking that her bottle was milk when it was water and she knew straight away!!!

It is very much try and try again! I'm still trying!! I'm hoping to get the cup mastered and then get her to drink other stuff from it other than water, so her milk feeds will eventually be from the cup.

I wouldn't cut out breast feeds because if they're taking it they still need it. They will reduce and drop feeds themselves. O has gone from 7oz feeds down to 4 - 5oz feeds. They will start feeding less and less from the breast but it is still important that they do have the milk.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

• Germany

Friday, November 12th 2010, 1:33pm

Thanks for the replies, I've read 2 of the cup threads too, and it sounds as though I've just got to persevere with the cups. I think Lukas will get to grips with it fairly quickly, but Finn was just screaming when we tried to give him formula in it last night. I wasn't planning on cutting out any of their milk, just replacing some BF with formula so DH can feed them milk without me having the faff of expressing. The boys are getting very hard to BF unless they're sleepy as they're big and wriggly and I really have my hands full!
Csam, unfortunwtely I don,t have a fixed schedule, but breakfast is usually around 9 or a bit later. Today was a bit earlier as they slept through until 5.15 so that ended up being their early morning feed (which would normally be later if they wake up for a night feed). I know I ought to get them up at the same time every day but I am so tired that if they want to sleep longer I let them. I agree that there aren't enough hours in the day, and I only feed them jars.
How long does it generally take a baby to learn to feed themselves from a cup? As long as they need help I'll have to do them one at a time!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

• Germany

Friday, November 12th 2010, 3:23pm

Hmmm, as their meals were a bit earlier today, I thought I'd try a formula feed in the afternoon to tide them over until tea. i started Lukas off, then propped him up on some cushions and he fed the rest to himself. Finn got one taste then cried every time I put the cup near him although he was happy to chew the handles himself. So I gave up and BF him. It's a start!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, November 12th 2010, 8:33pm

Hmmmm, maybe give Finn the cup with just water in to start with and let him experiment and play (providing you don't mind stuff getting a bit wet!) I'm going to give O her new cup tomorrow to play with properly and learn how to put it in her mouth and explore it better.

With the feeding, have you thought about baby led weaning? I know its not for everyone but for dinner say I just give O some sandwiches which is nice and easy and then for tea she eats whatever we eat (provided its healthy) for me I have found it sooooo much easier than messing about with jars of food and I can actually eat a meal because she feeds herself.

Its all about learning at the moment with food. Just give it time.

• Germany

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 8:28pm

Thanks Flic, I did just that, both boys can successfully feed themselves water if I prop them up semi reclined on cushions. They roll over though and then wonder why it doesn't work any more! As yet they don't drink much, I'm planning the next milk attempt to be with expressed milk, then maybe Finn wont be so against the idea.

I like the idea of baby led weaning, but unfortunately very little of what we eat would be suitable as I rarely prepare proper food. I didn't much before the boys were here anyway and now I'm just too tired to start. We generally eat after the boys have gone to bed anyway as we're lucky if DH gets home from work to see them before bed.

Will try and remember to post about my next attempt!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 9:23pm

Thats great chick!!!!

• Germany

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 12:04pm

Still haven't got around to expressing milk. Now know that Finn actually hates the taste of the formula as I made their porridge with it this morning instead of using water and fruit. As soon as it hit his mouth the expression on his face was priceless and he managed to wipe most of it out onto his bib! Oh and they had fingers of bread with their lunch yesterday which was a big hit.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

FERTILITYZONE