You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JMB

Ace

• "JMB" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 6th 2008

Children: One wonderful Son

Monday, November 15th 2010, 11:09pm

7 month old not taking milk during the day!

Hi, my son is 7 months old today and he's now realised that solid food tastes way much better than milk and he's now not wanting to take any milk between his first morning bottle and the evening. I've been making up his breakfast cereal with his formula to try and increase his milk intake, and also giving him yoghurt during the day, in fact he had two today.

He's taking about 15oz of milk a day, including the milk that his cereal is made up with. Is this amount alright or should I try and increase it, and if so how do I go about doing that? Sorry for that daft questions.

Any help and advice would be appreciated, thanks

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, November 15th 2010, 11:18pm

Hi JMB,
Is your DS getting enough fluids? Will he drink water or diluted juice?
I think he's still getting enough milk, but he probably needs to take at least this much in for a couple more months.
If you did want to squeeze more more into him, you could try mashing up a rusk in milk (perhaps as a desert, because these things are sweet!). But personally I think he is doing just fine.
B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Monday, November 15th 2010, 11:23pm

He's not interested in water and I haven't tried him with diluted juice yet, maybe I ought to. I am slightly worried that he may become dehydrated but his poo's so far are fine, so I know he's not constipated.

I'll try a mashed rusk as a desert, I never thought of that! :)

Thanks for that,

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 10:50am

So is he not taking any fluids in between morning & evening milk? He probably is getting enough milk as he should be getting about 18-20oz but that includes yoghurt and cheese but he probably should be having some sort of drink with his meals if he's not having milk in between. Have you tried giving him milk in a sippy cup? Or if he's not interested in plain water, Boots & Hipp do flavoured water (Hipp tastes nicer). xx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 11:15am

We have twins, one drinks water from the bottle as if she spent the last 40 days in the desert (including drinking bath water). She can down 250 ml in one go. But the other will not have any water, at all!
It's odd, because they both eat the same foods.

But the non-drinker will take small sips from the doidy cup. It tends to go everywhere, perhaps thats part of the fun, but maybe worth a go?
So far, neither of our little ladies will use sippy cups/beakers.

It's pretty easy to see if your DS is dehydrated. He'd be grumpy, and may even refuse foods because he wants a drink first. So it does sound like your little one is perfectly fine as he is.
B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 12:43pm

I would say to start giving him a sippy cup full of water with each meal. At first he will just play with it, bang it and throw it overboard but eventually he will realise that there is something inside that he needs both to quench any thirst but als,o once he starts eating stodgier food, he will use the water to clear his mouth for the next mouthful (well at least my son does).

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 12:53pm

Hiya,

At nearly 9 months mine will only have sips of water and the cup we're on now has a soft spout which she seems to like. But she is getting better with it. I tried juice and she still wouldn't have it.

It is just perseverance with it I think.

Also when do you try feed him his milk? I've found (on excellent advice from Grace!) that if I feed O milk about 30 mins to 1hour before meals she does take her milk.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 9:12pm

Well today's not been great milk-wise ... he's had 5oz milk at 8.15am, then 2oz with his muesli at 10.15am but that was it milk-wise until 8.15pm when he had 2oz! I did give him some veg followed by custard and a yoghurt for lunch, and then cauliflower cheese and a yoghurt for his dinner. He will have upped his milk intake from these foods thankfully and I did try him with milk and/or water at various points today with no luck. He used to take milk in his doidy cup but not any more, however I did try him with baby juice in his doidy with his dinner tonight and he drank quite a bit of it :)

I'll try him tomorrow with baby juice with his meals and see if I can get some more fluids in to him. I don't fancy the thought of giving him baby juice all the time, but I will try and gradually dilute it down a bit each day until he's just on water, well that's the plan anyway!

I'm not sure if it's just me but I do find it quite difficult trying to fit in his milk, naps and solids into the day!

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice, I really appreciate it :)

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 9:48pm

My LO has 3 x 7oz bottles of milk per day and i make up about 6oz of juice for him, well 6oz water with a splash of diluting juice just to flavour it as he won't drink plain water. I also use 3oz formula for his weetabix or cereal. We tend to have a bottle then 2 hours later breakfast,then 2 hours later lunch and he will take a bottle in afternoon,then he has his tea and 2 hours later another bottle and he drinks the juiceas and when he wants to. Obviously this routine is not set in stone when we're out and about but i try to stick roughly to it. We use a Tommee Tipee beaker with a spout(no spill one lol) and he drinks his juice well from this.

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 10:08pm

Hi Bride2Be, our routine was more or less the same as your until the weekend. We would have bottle about 8am, then cereal with milk at 10am, then bottle about 12, lunch about 2pm, bottle about 4pm, dinner about 6pm, and then bottle and bed around 8pm.

He's since upped his food intake dramatically and he now just sits with his mouth open looking for food like a little bird. I've tried to give him milk when his mouth is open but he just screams ... he wants proper food rather than milk.

It'll just take time I suppose for us to settle in to a new routine.

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 1:16pm

I would really advise against baby juice unless he won't take anything else, if he gets too used to juice he won't want to drink water on its own. See if he'll get used to water (or you could put some of his regular milk in the cup). Sometimes they will do what they see you doing so try drinking out of his cup while he's eating, he'll see you doing it and think "hey! I want some of that".

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 1:27pm

That is EXACTLY what O did. I started drinking out of her cup and she was like 'hmmmmm, I think I need to put that in my mouth and have some!!'

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 1:41pm

I managed to get another 2.5oz of milk into him last night at 11.15, which was great!

This morning he had 5oz of milk as usual when he woke up, and another 2oz with his cereal, and he drank some from his doidy cup too at breakfast! He's just also drank another 3oz of milk!

I'll see what the rest of the day brings ...

I'd rather not give him baby juice unless he won't drink anything else, but he is slightly constipated today poor soul :( I'll just keep trying him with milk and water today ad see how much I can actually get in to him, even if it means not giving him as much solid food today.

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 1:42pm

What milk have you got him on?? Is it normal or follow on?

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 1:53pm

He's on Aptamil first stage, do you think he ought to be on the follow-on milk? Do you think that would help?

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 2:04pm

No, I was going to say that follow on can make them constipated. I had this problem with O and had to swich back, except no one told me!!!

The constipated could be because he needs more water. O can get constipated if she doesn't have enough water. When she's had a bit she's a lot softer and its soooo much easier for her.

Like I say its taken us until now to get O to drink water. It is just a thing of keeping it there and offering it.

What about nap times and things? Maybe bring things a bit earlier, so maybe instead of waiting 2 hours wait just an hour before giving food. All I'm thinking is that O wouldn't want milk if she was fed 2 hours before. She needs a good 3 hours inbetween her meal and her next milk.

So we have milk at about 7ish then breakfast 30 mins to an hour later, then nap for about 1hour, then milk about 11ish and dinner at 12 then long nap until about 2 or 3 (but not today cos she's being a madam!), then milk about 4ish and tea at 5 then milk at bedtime about 6.30.

I'm just thinking that if he's that bit hungrier he might take his milk better rather than still being full from the last meal.

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 11:50pm

Well today he's decided that he's not too keen on solid food and he's just taken milk for most of the day, which should help with his constipation! I could see him straining a few times today but not a lot of poo was produced, just small bullets, sorry TMI.

I think I'll have to try out a few things and see what works best for him.

There's no two days the same with a baby :)

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

JMB

Ace

• United Kingdom

Thursday, November 25th 2010, 10:19pm

I thought I'd update things ... We're getting on really well now, which is great! Most days he'll have between 18 and 20oz of milk as well as three meals :)

I tried him on the same sort of routine that you use Flic and it really seems to suit him, and we're both much happier, thanks chick!

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, November 26th 2010, 1:36pm

Oh mate thats great news!! I'm so pleased I've been able to help!!

xfingers it continues for you honey!!

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Friday, November 26th 2010, 3:48pm

Ok, now i have this problem lol.. LO not taking his milk during day. He normally has 3 x 7oz bottles and drains them and has 3oz with weetabix and 6oz very diluted juice. last few days he hasn't taken his afternoon bottle or any juice, and still won't take water, I tried him again yesterday. I offered him some milk in a sippy cup today but he wasn't fussed about it either. Will have a read thru this thread again and see how he goes next couple days.