You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

2mums

Star

• "2mums" started this thread

Reg: Jun 28th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 8:22pm

12-week-old feeding constantly - am I doing something wrong?

Hi ladies,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/reassurance, as I'm feeling really inadequate and down today.

Some background - I feed on demand, and Bobble has always fed frequently and for a long time. Feeding for an hour (with a break for a nappy change in between) is normal for him. Recently he's been in a kind of routine where he'll feed for an hour, then go two hours before he wants feeding again. He cluster feeds in the evenings. At night he goes to bed around 10 and will sleep for 4, 5 or even 6 hours before waking for a feed, then back to the 2-hour routine. He latches on fine, he's gaining weight fine, he's pooing and weeing fine. I'm sure the feeding thing is partly about comfort for him (he won't take a dummy), and I'm cool with that - if him being on the boob is comforting to him, I don't have a problem with it.

However, the last day or so he's been feeding more frequently - an hour after finishing, he'll want feeding again. He's been waking up more often at night too. And I'm starting to doubt myself. Is he just having a growth spurt? Or am I doing something wrong? Is he not getting everything he needs from me? I don't know any other babies who feed for as long as he does, am I inadequate in some way?

So far today he's fed as follows:

00:30-01:20 (with nappy change in between)
04:30-05:20 (with nappy change in between)
07:20-08:??
09:30:10:20 (with nappy change in between)
11:15-12:00 (with nappy change in between)
13:10-14:20
15:20-15:45 (with nappy change in between)
16:40-18:25 (with nappy change in between)
19:45 to now

I love breastfeeding and will do anything to make it work - please can anyone help?

ICSI Apr09 BFN
ICSI Jul09 BFP m/c (blighted ovum)
ICSI Nov09 :BFP:
:boy:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "2mums" (Nov 18th 2010, 8:28pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 8:26pm

I remember this same feeling and i am sure it was around the 3 month mark! My babies soon went back to normal, it was just a growth spurt!!
Don't feel inadequate, i am sure there will be someone along with better advice but it sure sounds familiar to me and like i say mine was a growth spurt x
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 9:02pm

Hi 2mums

Megan feeds for an hour or more each feed, I did wonder if that was classed as a longtime? Most of the time it's because she falls asleep many times during feeding, very frustrating!

I've not got as much experience as you and others as Megan is only 8 wks but it does sound like a growth spurt, megan had a day
of constant feeding last week. I was exhausted!

I hope Bobble returns to his usual feeding pattern soon.

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, November 18th 2010, 11:32pm

Hi 2mums,
A change to more frequent feeding at any stage is generally down to a growth spurt, and he's trying to increase your supply, so I wouldn't worry about frequent feeding, but being on the breast for an hour at each feed sounds a bit long to me. He's probably only feeding for a fraction of that time, and the rest is comfort sucking (different sucking action) If you're happy to let him do that, then that's fine, but there may come a time when you want
to shorten that. You could try taking him off when he starts doing just little nibbly sucks rather than long feeding ones, and holding him with his cheek against your breast, so he learns that cuddles are comforting too. If he could find his thumb, that might help.
Well done you for keeping going. I think Grace's little boy, Jensen fed 2 hourly for a long time, you could maybe pop in to her diary and check it out.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, November 19th 2010, 10:36am

Hi 2 mums,
What Fi's mum said! It sounds like you are doing a great job, well done.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, November 19th 2010, 10:52am

Another vote for what Fi's Mum suggests.

It's all absolutely, totaly and utterly normal to get to this point and to worry like you are doing. If we had a pound for everyone who suddenly panicked about their feeding then we'd probably be able to retire to somewhere hot.

Your milk is dynamic and changes along with your baby's needs so he's increasing his supply by feeding frequently. Just make sure that you're looking after yourself too. I hope you're eating well, drinking lots of fluids and getting some rest in between these feeds. Put yourself first because a frazzled new Mum isn't the effect we're after.

Give it a week and your supply should've caught up. At that point I would again echo Fi's Mum's advice to maybe shorten the feed and/or lengthen the time between feeds. Don't worry at all about your milk supply, as long as your baby is suckling frequently you will have enough of the good stuff (even when they feel empty).

2mums

Star

• "2mums" started this thread

Reg: Jun 28th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son

Friday, November 19th 2010, 12:35pm

Thanks for all the advice and reassurance ladies :smile: It's hard not to doubt yourself when your baby feeds so differently from everyone else's. Had a better night last night, he slept for 5 hours, fed, then slept for 3 hours.

I've tried shortening the feeds before, but it ended up being worse cos he wanted to feed again really soon afterwards - like he hadn't finished properly? I think he's feeding on and off for the whole time rather then feeding for x minutes and then comfort sucking for the rest, so I'm not sure how to go about it...

ICSI Apr09 BFN
ICSI Jul09 BFP m/c (blighted ovum)
ICSI Nov09 :BFP:
:boy:

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 12:47am

This is probably a bit late and hopefully you are past that stage now and it was just a quick growth phase. My son was the same, but he was pretty much like it from birth, and would have fed continuously if I let him, it went on for MONTHS. He was then pooping all the time, because he was consuming so much, and that was stopping/interupting his sleep. If it doesn't sort itself out I would try going to a routine. With us Cody suddenly stopped being manic about food as soon as I adopted a routine, it was like he then knew when a feed was coming and calmed down about it. He also started giving us decent sized sleeps for the first time. Just a thought/option to consider if it doesnt stop! (My milk did come in very late - like just over a week - I think that made him a bit of a boobie sucking monster by the time it arrived which may have contributed to it in our case though.)
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP