You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Newly Wed" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, November 19th 2010, 7:22pm

Weaning - what to feed a LO who is cows milk intolerant and allergic to soya???

I'd really appreciate your suggestions on what to feed little Isabelle who is cows milk intolerant and allergic to soya. She is having cereal, porridge etc. with formula for breakfast and pureed chicken and fish with various combinations of fruit and vegetables for lunch and tea, but without cheese, yoghurt etc. I feel that we are really limited in our options for good nutritional foods. We are still not ready for BLW and finger foods as she can't yet get hand to mouth with any degree of accuracy, so everything needs to be spoon fed at this stage.

Because Issie absolutely hates her hypo-allergenic formula, I have been advised to basically accept that she will take only the bare minimum (approx 10 ozs per day), top up her calcium with a supplement and wean her faster than normal, so I really need to make sure I get it right.

P.S. Lottie and Issie are appearing (I should say starring(!)) in the new series of Peep Show on Channel 4. They are in it from episode 2 onwards. Episode 1 is available to download now on the Channel 4 website.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, November 19th 2010, 8:40pm

Chick, BLW helps with the hand eye co-ordination. O was rubbish to start with and hardly got anything in. I bet she will surprise you. O will try anything to get food into her mouth. I think the independence to pick up and eat what she wants makes her more determined. Give it a try, stick some toast on her tray and let her play and practice, its the only way that she will learn.

If you did go down the BLW route you could do fish cakes, and chicken dippers (homemade) and basically give her what you cook for yourself (without the salt).

Will she only take the 10oz from a bottle? Is the cereal or porridge extra milk?

You're giving her veg and fruit and chicken and fish. What about beef? I think beef is good for iron.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, November 20th 2010, 9:38pm

Hi Newlwy Wed,
What about rice or oat milk for calcium? And what about cheeses made from other milks like goats or ewes milk? I don't know what it is in cows milk that causes intolerances but it might be worth trying those or at least asking an expert. Also there's lots of calcium in tinned sardines or salmon with the bones mashed up in them.

Also, I would definitely recommend BLW for helping to develop the hand to eye co-ordination. Watching a 8 or 9 month old baby feed herself individual pes or sweetcorn kernels is so entertaing and they grasp it so much quicker when you let them feed themselves.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Sunday, November 21st 2010, 8:03pm

Hi Newlywed, could you ask your gp to refer you to a dietion? it's possible that she might grow out of the intolerance as some children do but if she doesn't then you're going to need some advice on making sure she gets a good solid, balanced diet. You can also buy cookbooks for milk and soy protein intolerance and you should be able to adapt those (it's often referred to as MSPI I had a quick look and Amazon sell one called the MSPI Guidebook/cookbook) There is also a website for this very thing which I didn't have a good look at but it seems to have some suggestions for meals (http://mspikids.info/ link not endorsed by FZ)

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

• "Newly Wed" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 1:04pm

Thanks Ladies

I took Flic's advice and, after tracking down the one loaf of bread in Waitrose that didn't contain soya, I stuck a couple of squares of toast on each of their highchair trays and....they couldn't have cared less. They completely ignored it, even when I dangled it in front of their faces! I'm not the most patient person, but I know I have to make allowances for their prematurity and I guess I just need to accept that we are in this for the long term and they'll learn to eat eventually.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 1:22pm

Oh chick, give it time. They will eventually notice it and start stuffing it in their mouths. Once they start to pick it up and realise that its got flavour and texture you won't be able to stop them.

Weaning is tough but its so much fun when you relax more. I found that. There's a thread on here somewhere (or maybe its in my diary) I was getting stressed cos there was hardly anything going in O's mouth but she did get there.

Meal times can last for 30 mins to an hour so patience is definately needed.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE