You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

csam

Star

• "csam" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 1:29pm

Weaning routine's

Hi all

My twins are 6.5 months old now and we started weaning at 6 months.

Prior to this our routine was
6am Milk
8-9am Nap
10am Milk
12-2 ish Nap
2pm Milk
4pm Nap (about 30-45 mins)
6pm Milk

and a dream feed at 10pm
This rouine has been perefect for fitting in my DD1's needs.

Weaning doesn't seem to have got going at all! The Hv has advised to cut their milk down to 20oz,I have tried giving porridge at different times of the morning ,and we are/were hoping to do BLW for the other 2 meals.DD is getting the hang of BLW,but I wouldn't say much food is going in,she's not really interested in 'slop',DS is not interested in anything,although I suspect he'd prefer sweet food! The above routine was great,(but obv needs to change as I need to wean the twins)everyone was happy,but now the twins are miserable,I'm stressed and they have both lost weight this week.DD is only 13lb and I really don't want either of them losing weight :sadface: I still have a lot of food issues to deal with with DD1 and seem to spend all day persuading small people to eat!

I want them to eat homemade food,so don't want to buy jars etc,I'd be happy to feed them the traditional way or BLW (but would prefer BLW),but I just want them to eat and not lose weight.

What routine do you think would work,how much milk and when,what time for food?They were previously having about 30oz milk,so not 'huge' amounts (I don't think). My DD1 was BF and we started weaning at 5 months,I feel like I am new to this.The HV says they need to be on 3 meals a day,with meat and fish etc

Thanks in advance and excuse any typo's!
xxxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (Nov 23rd 2010, 1:32pm)

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 1:47pm

Hiya,

I can tell you our routine.

Milk about 7am
Breakfast of Toast and porridge between 8 and 8.30 then nap until about 9.30/ 10am

Milk about 11am and then dinner at 12 then nap until about 2.30 / 3pm

Milk about 4, then tea at 5

Milk at bedtime about 6.30 - 7pm.

Dinner is usually sandwiches with ham or cheese.

Tea can be anything, chicken, usually veg like broccoli, cauli, green beans carrots, lamb, beef (first time last night!!)

The mantra is 'Food is for fun until they're one!' with BLW.

I wouldn't cut their milk down though. They'll do that themselves as more food starts to go in. All they really need is milk anyway 'until they're one!'

I find that food about 1 hour after milk ensures that O has her milk but is also not too hungry for food because if she's over hungry she won't eat.

I wouldn't make such a big issue out of food too. Let them explore and learn.

How come they lost weight? Have they been ill or anything? Or not taking as much milk?

I would try fit round the routine you already have. So milk at 6am and then breakfast at 7am. See if they'll go maybe 30 mins longer without milk and give at say 10.30 so then dinner is at 11.30 then down for the afternoon nap.

They NEED approx 20oz milk at this time BUT if you can get more into them then great!! Milk is so important right now.

The other thing I'd say is sit down for a meal with them so you're all sat together, that way they see how you eat and you're putting this tasty stuff into your mouth so they will end up copying.

I'm sorry but your HV sounds like a bit of a nutter!! 6 months is the RECCOMMENDED weaning age, its not set in stone to say that you need to start weaning immediately at this age.

Also you said you've got some food issues with DD1?? Does she not like certain things?

Not all HV's are upto speed with BLW. My HV was fab and had the book and everything and really supported it. And basically said that provided the diet is varied and healthy to go for it. Just make sure she gets her milk.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 1:53pm

Thanks Flic,will have a proper read of your reply tonight.

Doing breakfast/milk between 6-7.30 would be great as that's when I have help,and it gives me enough time to get DD1 ready for pre-school.

I think they have lost weight as they are having 10oz less milk and hardly any food! I don't really like asking the Hv advise but I feel a bit stumped with weaning this time round,and she advised the 20oz milk so they would eat more but it's not making any difference!

Thanks again will be back tonight.
xxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 2:38pm

I'm sorry chick but thats rubbish, cutting down on their milk WON'T make them eat more!!! It sounds like she doesn't really know anything about BLW or even weaning at all. Stick to FZ, this is where I found out about BLW, and got the support I needed.

I would go back to their normal milk and let them cut it down themselves. O certainly did. They're learning how to eat. Its completely new. They will be much happier, gain weight and learn to enjoy their food.

I am a huge fan of BLW. All my friends went down normal weaning routes and weaning early and I held out now O eats everything. No mushing, no pureeing, no taking jars everywhere.

As they learn to put the food in their mouths and move it around and explore it more you will find that more and more goes in and then the milk will get less and less.

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 6:34pm

Yeah I agree with Flic, continue with the previous amount of milk and let them reduce it gradually themselves. From what I understand, you are not supposed to start dropping the amount of milk yourself until 9 months, thats if baby hasnt done it themselves, then from there gradually reduce it until baby is eating three meals plus two snacks a day (plus milk).

My routine is (times approx as it depends what time Aiden gets up, can wake anytime between 7&9!)

Breastfeed when Aiden wakes - about 7:30

Breakfast of porridge, half a banana with 2oz milk - 8am

Nap for 1-2 hours - 10am

Solid lunch with a rice pudding & cup of water - noon

Milk feed (8oz) & a snack - 3pm

Nap for 1hour - 4pm

Solid Dinner with yoghurt & cup of water - 5:30pm

Milk feed (7oz) before bed - 7:30pm

Babies need between 18-20oz milk until they're 12months (that includes cheese & yogurt)

Sorry no pearls of wisdom with BLW though as I didn't have the confidence to do that. Aiden eats mostly home made food and I incorporate some finger foods and I let (help) Aiden feed himself with a food during most feeds but I also use some jars as they are very convenient when you're out and about and/or in a rush but I only use Hipp Organic & Organix as I believe them to be superior.
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 7:25pm

Flic,I rarely speak to the Hv,but whenever I do I am always like this :cross: when I said I wanted to do BLW there was silence......tumbleweed..........it makes me more determined to do it,she said "they need structure" and didn't support my decision.TBH Cheryl,BLW scares pants off me,but I feel it is better for us all in the long run but it does make me nervous. When I weaned DD1 more than 2.5 years ago,the Hv at the time said she needed to be on 3 meals a day and 20oz of milk (she was BF and only wanted 2 feeds a day),so I feel under pressure that they are already(!)6.5 months and not really on one meal a day!

I will carry on with their usual milk feeds apart from the 5/6oz they have at 6am,which I will split between bottle and porridge.I'm such a worrier and think "will they eat or still be drinking bottles at 5"! DD1 did wean easily and I know her food issues are nothing to do with how she was weaned but if I can avoid the same again with the twins I'll be happy.

Flic,how old was O before you really knew she was actually eating,rather than playing/exploring her food?

Thanks again

xxxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 8:02pm

I bet you were chick. It seems that a lot of them are quite stuck in their ways.

When I spoke to my nice HV she was saying that when weaning began at 4 months old then by 6 months they should be having finger food and they would encourage it, so BLW basically just cuts out the early weaning which you have to do if you wean from 4 months. At that age babies can't mush up and digest the food but by 6 months they can, so she said that it made sense really. However the other HV I saw just didn't say anything :snigger: And then when she puts on weight and I tell them she eats peas and beans and sweetcorn herself they sort of look amazed!!

Honestly, BLW is scary at first, you worry about choking, and not eating enough but we've never really had proper choking. Lots of gagging at first but I was prepared for that because babies gag reflex is much further forward than ours and its their way of learning to move the food around in their mouths.

I think by about 7 months of solid BLW from 6 months she started actually taking food more. So if you go for it from about now I wouldn't be surprised if they're eating more by 7 and a half months if not sooner as they realise how tasty it all is!!

When you actually see them swallow for the first time its amazing. And when you see them chew!!

O's first food was chicken, she sucked it loads! And then broccolli which she sucked. Actually everything was sucked until she realised that she could use her gums more and pull bits off! Their gums are so so strong and hard.

I was going to say even give them the whole feed in the morning and use an oz or 2 for porridge. Or even give them toast for breakfast to let them explore and learn that highchair time is food time.

My DH was dead against it at first but I really put my foot down and now he's so chuffed that I did. We can go out anywhere and eat without having to take loads of jars.

I promise they won't still be on milk at 5!!!

BLW does take time, they need to play and put to their mouths and get hand eye co-ordination, but once they 'get it' they get it fast. Now everytime O goes in her high chair she gets excited, she gets her sandwiches at dinner and she tastes each one (even though they're the same!) and then for tea yesterday I made casserole and she ate a mushroom (which took a lot of chewing and in and out of her mouth!) and beef and carrots and my Mum and her fella came over and we all ate together and they're amazed at how great she eats and how much of it she eats!

I would start with a bit of toast in the morning and let them get into the routine of 'right, highchair time, this means that its food time' and then for dinner maybe some soft fruit or soft veg that they can hold, so cauliflower is great and broccoli. Just as long as its cut into hand sized chunks that they can pick up they'll be well away! And then for tea the same as you (without the salt) and let them go for it.

I also finish each meal with a yoghurt to help with the milk intake because it really does go down as they realise that food is far tastier!

There is lots of mess which is great fun!!

I found sitting O on top of a folded tea towel to bump her up a bit higher also helps her to reach her tray better.

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 8:36pm

Bless O and her casserole (DD1 won't eat 'wet' food,she does have genuine food issues,but some behavioural too I suspect),

The twins have so far tried (well been offered!),Toast,eggy bread,broccoli,cauliflower,parsnips,sweet pot,yogurt,pear,banana,carrot,baby corn,maybe a few other things.DD2,bless her seems to know what to do and even looks like she's chewing,and Ds,bless him(!),is not fussed! My DD1 was brilliant with finger foods and I should have had the confidence to do BLW then,but we just gave her finger foods as snacks rather than meals.

I'm quite short on time on a pre-school day (well,I could do with 10 more hours most days!),but I just need someone to talk to about it really and a bit of encouragement!!

O's doing great,you must be super proud :D I just worry if they stay on the same amount of milk they won't be hungry for food and if I reduce their milk they'll lose weight and get ill :sadface:

xxxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 9:22pm

Honestly chick, they will reduce their milk. Once they realise that food actually does fill them up the milk will reduce.

DD2 sounds like she's doing amazingly!!!! And DS will most certainly get there, especially when he sees his sister filling herself with tasty food he'll follow.

I find it a lot less stressful than I think I would 'normal' weaning. I'm not disciplined enough to puree on certain days etc. When we have my SS's before school they all get toast so O eats with them and when they're not here I eat toast with her and I give her a bit of porridge depending on how much milk she takes during her first feed. Dinner today we both had ham sandwiches and then for tea we had some chicken and veg with cheesy beans!

They will regulate their milk intake. O's dropped quite dramatically from about 4 7oz bottles per day to now only taking up to 5oz 4 times per day if I'm lucky.

I give it about an hour if I can between milk and food so that they're not hungry hungry. The first step is to get them putting it in their mouths and letting them explore.

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, December 5th 2010, 1:15pm

Hi

Just an update.weaning is going better.I dropped the dream feed but kept the other milk feeds the same.We do porridge for breakfast,Ds is eating his fine,DD not so keen.I made up a batch of home made meals to put in the freezer (these I mashed),they have this for one meal a day and BLW for the other meal.As I am on my own for either lunch or tea I find it easier to spoon feed (my 3 year old is so difficult at meal times,it's to hard to watch them all),then when I have help I do BLW. I think they prefer BLW TBH.

Since my last post they have tried chicken,cheese on toast,strawberries,mango,cheese sticks and baby cookies.I have a few new things to try this week.

It was lovely watching DD with a strawberry,she dug her nails in to grip it and sucked away!! They are actually 'eating' now,although not loads.I feel a lot more positive about things now.It's just sad that my 3 year old won't enjoy food like my 6 month olds are.

xxxxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, December 5th 2010, 1:22pm

Thats great that its going so well.

Don't worry about them not eating loads, it will get more and more as they get used to it.

Its great that they are picking up their food and putting it in their mouths too. Wait till they start picking up raisins and peas and stuff!! I get soooo proud every time O does it!!

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, December 5th 2010, 1:29pm

Cheers Flic :smile: I am more relaxed now.I know that they are having enough milk and the food is a bonus.I must admit it will be good when they drop a milk feed as it'll free up some time! But whenever they are ready is fine really! I remember the first time my DD1 had raisins,she just didn't 'get it',chewed them round for ages and ages,don't think she knew she was supposed to eat them,bless her.

xxxxx

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, December 5th 2010, 1:53pm

Awwww! I bet it was fab watching her eat them though!!

O hasn't dropped a feed yet, she's just reduced her milk intake to 5oz rather than 7. But I don't mind because I know she's getting enough milk and she likes it so its not a battle to get milk into her.

I'm so pleased that its going well for you chick.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE