You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

biggreeneyes

• "biggreeneyes" started this thread

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Monday, November 29th 2010, 4:03pm

Dream feed?

Hi

I am wondering what are peoples thoughts are about the dream feed?

Can i introduce a Dream feed at 4 months old? I have tried a couple of times, but the first two he woke up before i got him up for the feed...and the next time he woke up during the feed...I haven't bothered since!

I don't know what to do...as before my LO got ill a couple of weeks ago, he had had a couple of good nights in in his cot where he was going to bed at 7pm and then not waking until 1.45/2.30 and 3am-ish for his next feed, then going until morning... Then he got this terrible cold and cough and also had a growth spurt and he started waking every hour, being hard to settle and feeding 3 times in the night!!

He is now back to feeding about 10.30/11pm (he wakes up himself for this) then 3am-ish then goes til morning feed at 7/7.30

Does anyone have opinions on the Dream feed. I am in in two minds about introducing it knowing that he slept til the next feed a couple of times before he got ill. But if it means that he could then go through til morning...i would love that!! Also perhaps i was just lucky those couple of times too!

Any advice and opinions would be most welcome. :D

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Monday, November 29th 2010, 8:43pm

Hi BGE,

I've probably mentioned to you before I tried absolutely everything out of pure desperation at 4 months...introducing a dream feed was one of them! I felt like it was worth it at the time, but I was finding it really hard to stay awake to give it. I stopped after two or three weeks as M's sleep patterns were still erratic, I reckon the feed bought us some time, but not consistently. Some nights she'd wake at 12, 2 then be up for the day at 4am regardless of being dream fed or not.

I think the 4th month must be cursed - that's when we hit rock bottom and just got so desperate as it felt like we'd never have any sleep again, of course having already spent a third of the year with little sleep!

I'm not sure whether I've been particularly helpful! You should do whatever you think you should to get through, sometimes it's the doing something, whether it works or not that gives you the hope to get through it!! It will get easier lovely, just take one day at a time :xxx3:

Moonshine

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, November 29th 2010, 8:49pm

Hi BGE

4 months is a definate growth spurt time and a bu$$er for sleeping issues. Like MS says, do whatever you think you should to get through. I experimented with a dreamfeed but it didn't make any difference to how often baby bubble woke later in the night and I just had to keep myself awake for it so I dropped it quite quickly. If B is naturally waking at that time for a feed and seems to be taking a good amount then, if it was me, I think I would be tempted to be led by him. If he wakes, feed him, if he doesn't wake, leave it until he does and don't try to feed when he hasn't woken asking for it. xx

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, November 29th 2010, 8:58pm

I was trying to remember what O was doing and I seem to remember that her feeds were pretty much the same. 10/10.30 then 3ish then about 7ish. We never did a dream feed, I just went along with her.

I did find that she would still wake up for the 10 but the 3 got later and later. In fact one day she slept till 5 and I panicked like hell!

Then the 10 one got earlier. I think this was around the time she got more mobile and was tiring herself out so eventually it got to bed time and she aslept through.

I did think about the dream feed but because she was getting up herself and downing the lot I didn't bother.

It's really up to you though chick. It might be just the thing he (and you) need to get a bit more sleep.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 9:24am

Hi hon
We dropped the 10pm feed first as that was the one the babies consistently had to be woken for. After about a week they were sleeping from 7 till 2 so completely missed that feed. Then in another week they had managed to go through till 6! I would go with when he wakes and I'm sure it won't be long till he makes it through the night. Sounds like he was on his way till the cold so once he's better he'll get there.
:hugs:

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 1:30pm

Thank you all for your replies. It's made me think that I will keep just going with Ben;s needs for a bit longer...let this cold finally go and see what happens!!

He has definitely had a growth spurt and is still waking every 2 hours now...but last week it was every one hour and we couldn;t even settle him...so am hoping that things will improve.

When he used to sleep on me before we put him in the cot a few weeks ago..he used to feed at 11pm then go til 4am, sometimes 5am...so hopefully he can do that again.

'The' books seem to say you need to 'tank' them up with food in the day, but how do you actually get them to drink more than they want to drink?? Ben only eats when he is hungry and then only what he wants!!

blowkiss to you all.

One of these days i might be support to someone else again!! Feel like i can only get on here in desperate circumstances these days :(

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 2:52pm

I think its such a myth to tank them up to make them sleep better at night. Please someone tell me how you force a baby who refuses to open its mouth to drink milk. And then if they do how to stop them sicking it all back up again.

I think if you're feeding on demand you'll be fine chick.

If you were bf'ing you would be feeding on demand and for however long he wanted so why change it because its in a bottle and its formula??

When the cold is gone I bet he'll be on top form and scare you to death one night by going all the way through!! :D

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 5:07pm

Exactly Flic..i haven;t been able to work out how you can get them to drink more than they need/want!!!

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 6:41pm

They must be able to regulate their own hunger themselves, especially if you're feeding on demand.

I've just given O her last feed and she only took 3oz. No way could I get her to have anymore. I tried making her laugh and being sneaky and stuffing it in, and she promptly bit it closed. I just don't think its possible!

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 7:21pm

Hi BGE,

We introduced a dream feed a few weeks ago, although it isn't really a dream feed as DS does wake up but he settles very quickly so it's not a problem. I reckon for the first week he still woke at about 3am hungry again, but gradually he started to go longer until last week!!! We were away on Saturday night and decided not to give the dream feed and he slpet through! So Sunday night we skipped it again and he was awake at 1am!!!! I think he slept better in the hotel because it was warmer! Last night the combination of the dream feed and thicker sleeping bag and he slept all night again!!! I really think the dream feed is worthwhile, even if DS does wake for a feed in the night it will be at 4 or 5 rather than 2 or 3, which means a longer period of uninterupted sleep for me!!!!

What time were you thinking of doing the dream feed as I notice that you say he wakes at 10.30is. We give the dream feed at about 9.30 or 10 so you are doing this anyway.

As for tanking them up in the day, I kind of do this. DS started to go 4 hours+ between feeds so I reduced his feeds by an oz so that he is hungry earlier and we can fit 4 or 5 feeds in to the day.

Let us know how you get on.

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Wednesday, December 1st 2010, 11:45am

Does your LO still feed well at his morning feed when he doesn't wake to feed in the night until 4/5am?

Ben last night didn't feed until 4am but then only drank 3oz this morning! instead of 6oz!

I kind of feel that if i am waking him up to feed then i am interfering with his natural cycles of sleep and can;t help thinking it would be best to let him dictate when he can go longer without food. hmmm..its a tricky one!

goodgreen

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, December 1st 2010, 12:36pm

To be honst my LO would feed all day if he could!!! This morning he slept til just before 7 but I didn't feed him til 8. I used to jump in and feed him as soon as he woke but I have realised that he doesn't need it. When he does wake for a feed in the night he then wakes at about 8 or 8.30 and will have a feed at about 9.

I know what you mean about interfering with their natural sleep. Some of my friends have been dream feeding since day 1 but I put it off for ages as once he was asleep there was no way I would risk waking him, I needed the rest!!!! It seems to be working for us now though, andyou have to do what works best for you and your family.

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Wednesday, December 15th 2010, 8:38pm

what is a dream feed?
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE