You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Blue

• "Blue" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 11:55am

I'm a bit worried we have bed bugs... help!

Hi all,
I am hoping someone can tell me what this is!
For the last month, our 10 month old girls have been waking up with some red bumps. They are quite large, over 1 cm in diameter, and the look like bites to me although they don't seem to be itchy. They occur in clusters, 1-3 of them, and they can be anywhere on them but tend to be near their hands and feet.

I'm worried we have bed bugs! ;(

I have had some red itchy bumps too, and they often sleep in the bed with me.
Has anyone had this before?
Blue
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, December 6th 2010, 1:08pm

Oh no!!

Anything like these http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecrets/ig/Bedbug-Bites/ http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugbites.html

Also do the girls sleep in sleep suits or pj's? I've just read that they don't bite through material so usually only bite exposed areas like hands, feet and face.

Apparently they are on the rise too.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, December 6th 2010, 1:12pm

No advice - except I hope you say 'sleep tight hope the bed bugs don't bite' before you turn the light off and close the door!

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Feb 18th 2010

Monday, December 6th 2010, 1:28pm

Dear Blue,

I've had bedbugs once. I'd wake up with bites on wrists and ankles - where my pjs didn't protect me. They would be red, usually three in a row and become a little blistery after a while.

The thing is not everybody reacts to the bites - so people can be bitten without knowing.

The bad news is that they are hard to get rid of. I moved - and I swear I froze and gassed every piece of clothing/shoes that I brought into my new flat. I did not have any furniture to move.

There are heavy duty sprays that are supposed to get rid of them (leave the room and the house for days with babies and animals - scary stuff), but if I were you I'd contact professionals. It's worth every penny.

I wish you the best of luck - it's no fun at all!!!!!

lurve

Lalla and and her precious hubby's road to baby land!
38 and TTC naturally for 2 1/2 years.
SA - from poor to very good
Lap & dye 01.06.10 - some endo found and removed

Acupuncture
1st IUI - February!

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, December 6th 2010, 2:10pm

No advice I'm afraid. I do hope it's not bed bugs - sounds nasty from what Lalla has said!

I looked at some of the pictures in one of Flic's links and now I'm all itchy!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, December 6th 2010, 2:19pm

I hope you say 'sleep tight hope the bed bugs don't bite' before you turn the light off and close the door!

We made the mistake of saying that one night, well, when I say 'we' I mean DH, and we then had to spend 20 minutes explaining that it was just a saying, there weren't any actual bed bugs really and it was perfectly ok to get into bed. And we (this time I mean I) then had to go upstairs 30 mintues later to soothe a crying child who was scared of bed bugs. :rolleyes:

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, December 6th 2010, 2:22pm

We say to the boys...

'Sleep tight, hope the bed bugs don't bite...'

And then the boys say

'And if they bite??'

And then we say 'Bite 'em back!!!'

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 3:38pm

Thank you everyone.
(And poor you Lalla! Perhaps it affects us damp people?!!!)

The girls sleep in long sleeved vests and sleep pods, so are pretty much entirely covered up. And the red bumps can appear on their tummies and backs, but have never blistered. So I'm not sure if its the same thing...?
Am confused.

My Diary

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, December 6th 2010, 3:42pm

Hmmmm, Do you have any animals?? When Zorro had little friends visiting my DH used to get bitten before we realised that it was fleas and zapped the whole house and the cat!!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 3:59pm

Hi there,

sorry for my scary description...

Have you done a thorough check of the mattress? At one stage (far gone) I could actually see them, and there were also tiny, tiny specks of black (their poo) which is a give away for bugs - not sure if that only applies to bed bugs. They would stay away at day time though, and only appear at night. (God, I've got goose bumps just writing about this).

I think you might be able to catch one or two by putting a bucket of hot water in the middle of the room - they are attracted to heat... Can you chemist help you identify the bite?

Good luck - praying it's not bed bugs.

:goodluck: mrs not so damp any more !

Acupuncture
1st IUI - February!

• "tamjam68" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 29th 2010

Children: 5

Monday, December 6th 2010, 4:08pm

my thoughts would be more to cat fleas if you have cats or have had pets in the house, even if they are treated, all the furnishings need to be too, classic cat flea bites from cats are in clusters. i dont think bed bugs actually bite. ?( but not sure . look up on the net. :happy:

Monday, December 6th 2010, 4:10pm

we can only have outdoor cats as myself and my daughter suffer terrible with really big wheals from cat fleas, (dog and cat fleas are slightly different) I have dogs and dont have the problem, well now the cats have gone xx

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 4:54pm

(God, I've got goose bumps just writing about this)

Me too! URghhHhhhh!!!
I have had a close look at all our mattresses, and they are all newish (2 years old) and the foam types. I can't see anything on them.
I do have a couple of long pillows I used in pregnancy, I wonder if it could be them?
Oh this is horrible!!!

My Diary

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 4:55pm

my thoughts would be more to cat fleas if you have cats or have had pets in the house

We don't have any pets at all, it's really odd...

My Diary

Monday, December 6th 2010, 5:12pm

Tam Jam,

bed bugs bite!!! But only 25% get a reaction... or sth like that. Which is why the landlords didn't know they had bedbugs before I moved in.

Blue: maybe I can drop by for a test?????

Have you looked at photos of bites on the internet? Flea bites (eh, yes, I've had those too - thank you mrs Pigeon living on my window sill - I will never again save your eggs...) are a little different and do not come three in a row... (I think that's a bedbug thing, I'm so sorry Blue!)

God, why do I know all this?????

Did you take your pillows anywhere? Where I lived, a couple of visitors brought them along in their suitcases. Happens a lot...

whoops3

Acupuncture
1st IUI - February!

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 5:37pm

Gulp.

I've just emailed the pest control department of our council...

Lalla, you must be really tastey! I'm sorry you had to deal with flea bites too. Thank you for sharing something I bet you wish you had forgotten!
I'll keep you all posted.

I just read that in the 19th century, traveling businessmen would travel with a pig, and put that in the bed first so the bed bugs would feast on that and not them.... I might save that as my Plan B.
:piggy:

My Diary

Verity

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Monday, December 6th 2010, 5:43pm

If all else fails you're welcome to borrow a :piggy: from me! Think they may cause more damage than the bedbugs though!!!

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, December 6th 2010, 8:37pm

Bed bug bites usually itch so if the girls aren't scratching at them then they are unlikely to be bed bugs (but not impossible). If you do think they are bed bugs then the key is to reduce the humidity in their mattress and bedding (bed bugs dry up if there is low humidity) make sure that the mattresses have nothing left on them during the day (take all blankets off to let the mattress air) and wash all the bedding on the hottist wash you dare, if you can turn the mattresses regularly (I have a one way up only mattress but you might not) to let air get all the way round.

If you go for walks you can get fleas without having pets as you pick them up on your clothing and they hibernate in your house - they would be very itchy again - and you would find them grouped together as the flea munched on one area before moving on to another - rather than sporadically all over.

One other alternative is that they could be hives due to something that's causing an allergy (not necessarily something they are touching it could be something they are eating) J gets this and sometimes it's just one spot in the middle of his tummy and sometimes it's multiple spots randomly all over part of him (such as his torso) his skin also feels dry. Trying to find the cause of the allergy is impossible (I know I've tried) so if it's not bothering the girls then you can probably just leave it and they will probably grow out of their allergy.

Other than that take them to the Drs and see if they can make any suggestions.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 7:47am

Urrrgghhh Grace I just looked them up, have never come across them before and wouldnt want to either . *itch ,itch*. Can you see them with the naked eye ? :8o:

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 8:26pm

If you have a high concentration of them then you can see them as they look like little moving specs but they live inside the mattress so you usually never see them unless you tear the mattress up.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE