You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rockchick" started this thread

Reg: Jan 29th 2009

Children: Our gorgeous son was born 16/7/2010

Monday, December 13th 2010, 9:50pm

BLW with no teeth?

Hi :)
Hoping for a bit of advice about blw. My DS is nearly 5 months old and for the last week and a half I just can't seem to fill him with milk. I have been bf since he was born and for the last few months he has fed every 2 hours for 10mins on one side only and wouldn't have any more than that. This last week or so he has gone to feeding for 15-20 mins on each boob every hour! :yumyum: so basically I have around 20-30 mins spare between feeds! :wacko:
I think he is starting to teeth as his cheeks are really flushed, he is drooling loads and rubbing his gums on anything he can get his hands on! Can't see any teeth yet but his bottom gum is white.
I really want to give blw a go and don't really want to go down the route of feeding purees to him but was wondering if he is too young for blw as he doesn't have any teeth yet. Does having no teeth make a difference? I gave him a peeled raw carrot from the fridge the other day to rub on his gums and he seemed to love it! Yesterday I gave him a chunk of cucumber and that stayed in his mouth for quite a while and came out slightly smaller :snigger:
Would I be better off trying him on some baby rice or porridge to try and fill him up a bit and waiting until he is 6 months for blw?

[zx050]

Oct/Nov 09 - 1st IVF :BFP:
Jan 2012 - Short Protocol ICSI :BFP:
7 wk scan 2/3/12 One [zx076] seen

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, December 13th 2010, 9:57pm

They can still manage it perfectly - their gums are very hard. We did BLW from 6 months with baby bubble and she didn't get her first tooth until she was 10+ months!

But he is too young to go down that route - you do need to wait for the 6 month mark.

It's not uncommon for an increase in attempt around the age he is and although it is time consuming he will be perfectly ok just having milk until the 6 months. Obviously if you want to go down the rice or porridge route before then you can but you may find that he settles back down again in a few days.

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, December 13th 2010, 10:39pm

Like Bubble, we started BLW at 6 months and DS had no teeth at the time. He did fine with it though so there's definitely no need to go with purees simply because your DS is toothless! They can do lots of sucking to soften things like breadsticks, and it's amazing what they can gnaw with their gums!

I know what it's like to have a frequent feeder but I think you'll find if you do start weaning now it won't make much difference, other than you'll be spending those 20-30 spare minutes each hour preparing purees as he's too young for BLW right now. They start off eating very little by way of solids, whether it's puree or finger foods, and early purees (apple, carrot, etc) are less calorific than your bm so you have to wonder why so many people think weaning will fill a baby up better than milk! If you can bear it, just hang on in there for another month and then you can get started for real - and it's so easy if you wait till they're 6 months as you don't have to worry so much about food intolerances and whatnot. The next 4 or 5 weeks will make a huge difference to the maturity of your DS's gut.

However, it's your choice and if you can't bear the hourly feeding then try something different to see if it makes any difference. I think there have been a few mums on here who started solids before 6 months because their babies seemed to need (and want) it, but then the baby lost interest, they gave up and tried again a few weeks later. if you start and it doesn't seem to do the trick you can always stop - it's not a one-way street!

Also, just a word of warning that after you start weaning (be it now or later) it will probably take a while before your DS starts dropping feeds. I think there's a thread somewhere here I started when we'd been going for several months and I was still feeding DS 10 times a day! You think it's never going to get better and then suddenly you realise you're hardly doing any feeds at all ... but like I said, there is a time-lag between starting solids and that happening so be prepared!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 9:25am

Hiya!

Ditto what the ladies have said!!

We do BLW and its fab but your LO is too young at the moment. You do need to wait for the 6 month mark. This mark is to ensure that they are developed enough to eat.

We didn't BF but I remember O became more hungry around this time. And went up to about 7oz feeds every 3 hours.

I also agree with what Jessica said about filling them up. I have a friend who is weaning with puree's and started at 4 months because he was hungry and wasn't sleeping through and 'weaning early makes them sleep through' but now at a year old he still doesn't sleep through.

I know there's a thread on here where someone started weaning too early and had to stop and re start later on. I'll try find it.

O also hasn't dropped a feed, she's just reduced the amount she takes.

If you can hold out another month it will be soooooo much easier. They can sit up (albeit with cushions surrounding them!!) they can pick things up and put it to their mouths.

It is the best thing I've done for O, and now mealtimes are great, she gets excited and we all eat together. Fab!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 9:29am

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 10:09am

Hi Rockchick

I started giving my twins baby rice/purees just over 5 months and at 6 months slowly started introducing finger foods and being more relaxed about what they could have. At the time neither had teeth and it posed no problems whatsoever.

Nearly four months on and DS still hasn't got any teeth (well he has a fang growing but certianly no help to eating!). I'd say he has a better chew than DD who has two bottom ones. She's just got the benefit of being able to gnaw on things!

Whislt I didn't bf at the stage you're at, i did too notice a greater need for milk. In the end we just started them with one spoon (literally!) of baby rice before their evening bottle for a couple of days, then two for a couple of days, then after a week I introduced a spoon of pear puree in the morning as well (the order was from Annabel Karmel's weaning book i think). it really wasn't much but it did seem to make a bit of difference. Before I knew it I was at 6 months and could offer all sorts.

Do you what you feel you to but like the others have said, to follow BLW you would need to wait.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE