You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JVA

Ace

• "JVA" started this thread

Reg: Jun 14th 2009

Children: Gorgeous little boy Henry

Sunday, December 26th 2010, 10:18pm

Help Pls -So confused about Weaning?!!!

Hi All

Just after some advice/tips on weaning. I'm so confused about what to do as everything I read tends to recommend different things!

My boy will be 6mths on 7th Jan and we started weaning 3/4 wks ago, firstly some baby rice for tea for a few days then veg purees. H has taken to the new tastes very well so last wk I introduced breakie which has been fruit purees or mashed banana.

Feeding routines for bottles to date have been 6-7am early morning bottle, 10:30, 1:30, 4:30-5 then bedtime feed at 7:15. These are all 8oz bottles which H drains in the main. Since starting weaning in particular breakie H has been waking slightly later and having morning bottle after 7 and breakie about 8:15 but not been wanting all of his next feed.

I'm confused as to when I should feed him (before or after milk feed), how much (been having about one cube amount), when to start feeding lunch so he will then be on 3 meals a day.

Also been reading about baby led weaning which is something I never even considered until now ;) can I start this now? How best to start/ what types of food? Should I do a mixture of puree foods one meal then finger foods or is that confusing?

Is it ok to give toast? If so is wholemeal bread ok and what do you put on it? Can I use clover or do they need special butter? Can they have weetabix for breakie at 6mths??

So sorry for all of the questions. I'm just so confused and now feeling anxious when I had been looking forward to this stage :(

What happens bout milk intake too? Should I perhaps eliminate the 10:30 milk feed, start lunch at 12:30 or move this feed to 11:00 then do lunch at 12:30 and remove this milk feed???

Thanks for any tips/suggestions you may have ;)

Jess
Jessica

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, December 26th 2010, 10:39pm

That is a lot of questions! I remember being totally overwhelmed by weaning, and I learned by trial and error (with lot of gagging, vomiting, and mess on the way!). So don't panic. One golden rule is don't worry how much your LO eats in a meal time, not even in a day, take a week at a time. Because there will be some good days, but also many days when it seems like no solids are going in.

I'm confused as to when I should feed him (before or after milk feed), how much (been having about one cube amount), when to start feeding lunch so he will then be on 3 meals a day.

He should be peckish, but not starving. And he shouldn't be tired. So perhaps after he has woken from a nap but hasn't had his milk yet.
why not try giving him lunch now, and see how it goes. If he doesn't seem ready for 3 meals a day, try again in a few days time.
For how much, let him decide. After a while, you might want to change the times/amount of milk so that he wants to eat more. But plenty of time for all that and you can play it by ear for now.

Also been reading about baby led weaning which is something I never even considered until now ;) can I start this now? How best to start/ what types of food? Should I do a mixture of puree foods one meal then finger foods or is that confusing?

If you do BLW or not, everyone is agreed that from 6 months you should give your babies finger food. It's great actually, its so easy to do! For types of food, we started off with things like a stick of cheese, soft boiled carrot, buttered toast fingers, wedges of roasted sweet potato, and rusks. I did entirely BLW (so no puree) but if you do want to give puree, I'd give finger foods at the same time. It makes meal times a bit longer because your little one will want to play with the finger food rather than just take spoonfuls, but he is learning lots by doing this.

Is it ok to give toast? If so is wholemeal bread ok and what do you put on it? Can I use clover or do they need special butter? Can they have weetabix for breakie at 6mths??

We use wholemeal and unsalted butter. I'm sure Clover is fine to. Weetabix is great, just use your baby's milk with it with any cereal you give them.

So sorry for all of the questions. I'm just so confused and now feeling anxious when I had been looking forward to this stage :(

Yup, me too! I was so scared of getting it wrong, plus I had loads of pressure from everyone who thought I was crazy for giving a little baby a stick of cheese. Especially when the little baby then proceeded to spectacularly gag... but it is all normal!

What happens bout milk intake too? Should I perhaps eliminate the 10:30 milk feed, start lunch at 12:30 or move this feed to 11:00 then do lunch at 12:30 and remove this milk feed???

Try experimenting and see what works. Its recommended to slowly reduce the milk as you slowly introduce more solid foods. But you have got plenty of time to do this. Also, if your little one gets any coughs or colds, he may go off his food and just want milk for a while. And that's fine!

I hope that helps,
Blue
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, December 27th 2010, 12:30pm

Ditto everythng Blue just said!!

We do totally BLW but like Blue said you do need to wait until 6 months.

I found that if O is too hungry she wouldn't eat so for us she has her milk about 30 mins to 1 hour before food. Also she's dropped her oz herself. We were on 7oz feeds at 6 months and are now down to 4oz.

We gave O chicken as a first food! And lots of boiled or steamed veg!

I would also give finger foods at the same time as other food. That way they can experiment a bit!

We use wholemeal bread and I think we've got clover too for toast!

When O was poorly she did go off her food and had more milk.

The other thing that kept me going was 'Food is for fun until they're one'. So when it seemed like she wasn't having any food I remembered this.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Monday, December 27th 2010, 1:12pm

Hi Jess

I start weaning Dan when he was around the same age as yours. He has been on puree's of veg & fruit and we do offer finger foods too although so far he has rarely put them in his mouth, he just squishes them in his hand and throws them over the side of his high chair...oh the joy! However I do think that it is important to offer the finger food, I wished really I had tried BLW but I went the conventional way & I think this slightly deters baby from feeding themselves because they aren't hungry enough.

He has with my encouragement eaten some carrot baton etc but has severly gagged....which I know is normal but it doesn't feel it at the time & I panic loads. I have to get over this though because now he is 7 months old I am starting to introduce more textured food although my homemade purees have been relatively thick anyway rather than runny.

I used the Annabel Karmel Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner book to help me out with recipie ideas...Dan has eaten foods that I had never had until I used that book! It told me what to feed & when which took the guess work out & a lot of the recipies for when the baby is a bit older are suitable for the whole family & even tells you how many adult portions you will get from each recipie.

Both Annabel Karmel & the HV suggest that upto 6 months your baby should still be having around 21oz of milk per day ideally, although between 18 & 21oz is ok. I have struggled to get this amount of milk into Daniel though as he sleeps for so long at night he only wakes between 8 & 9am for his first feed & has his last feed around 8pm & with 3 meals a day he doesn't want more than around 16oz's from his bottles so I have to sneak the extra formula in through his porridge & mashed banana etc.

I have also started giving him a vitamin supplement too once a day to ensure he is getting enough vitamins & iron which I checked with the HV first and she said that was fine. They get free vitamins via the HV but only after they are one year old. Also I try & make sure he has at least one yoghurt a day for the extra calcium.

Have you introduced a sippy cup yet? I tried when I first started weaning but Daniel wasn't interested so I gave him the empty cup to play with and he learnt to put the spout in his mouth and now he is really getting used to it at meal times with water in. The other day he picked it up and drank from it himself & I was so proud of him.

Happy weaning!

• "angels&babies" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Monday, December 27th 2010, 1:34pm

I agree with alot of what the others have said and you just have to follow your instincts and cues your wee one gives you.
Like Flic, we always have had to give milk first because if we didn't, A wouldn't have entertained it! A refuses point blank now to have a bottle or even milk from a cup so we have to put loads in cereal morning and bedtime and get milk in in other ways through the day. You will find your own routine soon enough but it is really daunting initially to know what's best. Our HVs weren't exactly helpful in telling you what to give and when and I remember worrying quite alot about it at the time.
The Annabel Karmel website is great for recipes and tips - I have used that alot. I have made up pots of stuff and frozen lots to keep us going through a week. I generally do it at weekends and make several things for variety.
We started with a couple of spoons and then worked up week by week as tolerated and if it was too much, we would try again a day or two later to increase amounts,x

2nd ICSI March 2009 :BFP:
4 Top Grade 1 Frosties in Waiting for next time!
bab21
My Diary

JVA

Ace

• "JVA" started this thread

Reg: Jun 14th 2009

Children: Gorgeous little boy Henry

Monday, December 27th 2010, 9:05pm

Thanks ladies that's really helpful advice, think I need to just chill, offer H bits n pieces of finger foods with some purees too and see how it goes ;)

Re. Toast, I take it you just do normal buttered toast cut into fingers?
Jessica

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, December 27th 2010, 10:16pm

Yup! Just cut into fingers. I found that if I cut in half and then into fingers it doesn't go as floppy!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE