You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, April 23rd 2011, 8:43pm

Ooooh, sounds like he's doing amazing!!!

Greeny, I didn't get the choking thing either, if I had weaned the traditional way then I think I would have been more worried about it but as BLW's learn to chew before they swallow its never really been an issue. We did have gagging but thats all, and she can regurgutate (sp?) green beans like no ones business!!

We use a spoon for yoghurt and mash and things so I woudn't worry about it, I think its more about them eating solid food and learning to chew than eating off a spoon. If they can do both then even better I say!!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

biggreeneyes

• "biggreeneyes" started this thread

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Sunday, April 24th 2011, 3:58pm

Of course i will be making those noises Elisa :snigger: I agree with Flic - you can bend the rules a bit to suit you i think and just take the main point from BLW..Ben is only just starting to take 'some' food from a spoon now!

Flic - Ben can regurgitate a Daisy!! The yellow bit after a minute and the stalk after about 5 minutes lmao I learnt this during a picnic last week when Ben had first learnt to crawl…he was so fast and had picked the daisy (also i think owing to BLW he has great pincer grip!) and shoved it in before i could do anything to stop it! ;)

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, April 24th 2011, 5:17pm

rotf

That's excellent! Well done Ben!

We went to Frankie and Bennys for dinner today and O had chicken strips and veg. She scoffed the lot! Even the woman was shocked!

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, May 2nd 2011, 8:33pm

This is a fab thread! Am just thinking about giving this a go as so far F is refusing to open her mouth for a spoon of mush. She very much enjoyed playing with my toast crusts and apple this evening though..........................

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, May 2nd 2011, 11:07pm

I weaned my girls early on the advice of our paediatrician so they were too young for BLW but I introduced finger foods as soon as they were able to hold their heads up and had started picking things up probably at around 7 months. Now they are almost exclusively feeding themselves. Today they ate:

Marmite on toast with strawberries and blueberries for breakfast
We went to Giraffe for lunch and they had battered cod, chips and peas
For tea I made an omelette which I cut into strips, baked beans and pitta with houmous followed by dairy free ice cream and berries.

They ate everything themselves with their fingers apart from the baked beans and ice cream which I fed to them with a spoon. A lot does go on the floor, but it is mainly the leftovers that they play with once they have eaten what they want. I used to despair about them ever eating proper meals but it just happened over time. Now it gives me real pleasure to watch them eat (and leaving them to it gives me some time to potter round the kitchen making supper for DH, tidy up the toys etc.)
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 8:12am

Oh I do love a good foodie thread!

Alfie is totally into this eating thing! It might have taken him 4 weeks to get it but now he loves it. This morning he went mental for a piece of eggy bread! Most things he will put in his mouth and suck to bits and although a little always gets swallowed, most of it just ends up a soggy mess.

My only concern is that he seems to adore anything bread related - plain old toast/philly on toast, eggy bread etc - but not too keen on 'real' foods. Do I just persevere and he'll eventually start giving it all a go?

This weekend I made scotch pancakes (from the BLW cookbook) which he loved and also did roasted sweet potato wedges for us which he had a little suck on but the enthusiasm didn't last long. Just a bit worried he'll become a bread addict, but if I don't offer him anything bread related for a few days I'm also worried he'll lose interest in 'eating'. Any thoughts please???? : D

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Reg: Apr 9th 2009

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 10:49am

Gracie ... go for it. This thread gave me the courage to try BLW with Xander and he loves it. I think he also likes to shock people when they see a 6-month old eating a sandwich etc. The BLW cookbook is fab and also check out the recipies you can find in the weaning section. Xander loves the dropped scones, schnitzel and 'chips' from FZ and fishcakes and fish fingers and banana muffins from the cookbook. It can be messy, but it is good fun. (Xander also thought that purees were only made to be thrown on the floor. Perhaps it's because he slept through that part of the weaning session run by the HVs & woke up to hear them talking about eating the same food as the parents. :snigger: )

Claire, X is a bit of a bread addict too. He's not keen on the idea of breakfast either - he seems to prefer just having milk - but I am trying different things. My concern is making sure that I don't give him too much of the same (breadsticks with philli / Xander-slaw / petit filou etc). We found that to get him interested in other things he had to see it coming directly from mummy & daddy's plates & we cheated a bit by giving him some small pieces on a spoon so he could get the taste. (He doesn't mind having some things given to him on a spoon as long as he gets to aim the spoon at his mouth. He does generally get it there eventually, although we do normally also end up with food in the hair, up the nose, in the ear, in the eyebrows etc etc.) So basically what I'm saying is just keep trying!! (BTW - have you got any tips for reluctant breakfast eaters?)
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP
FET Jan 10 :BFP:
bab11 Alexander James 17/10/10

2nd FET Feb 13 :BFN:

My Trying Again Diary

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 1:29pm

Elisa- Cerals are good for BLW breakfasts - even before they can negotiate a spoon by themselves. Shreddies or mini shredded wheat or mini shreddies soaked in a little milk to soften them, but not so much that they turn to mush, are an excellent breakfast finger food. And I think its Grace who suggested porridge balls, by making it thicker and shaping it so they can pick it up.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 5:19pm

Thanks Bubble. Xander does eat breakfast sometimes, but more often than not he just doesn't seem overly bothered as long as he gets his milk. He has eaten toast, banana and eggy bread for breakfast (not together) and stolen some of DH's weetabix. I think he must take after his father who isn't the biggest fan of breakfast either.
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP

My Trying Again Diary

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 7:06pm

We tried sweet potato wedges today, which I cooked in the microwave. They went really soft and DS ate them really easily. You don't get the crunchy skin that you get when you oven cook them, but he didn't seem to mind!

I started by giving DS purees and he now has one meal a day which I spoon feed with some finger fod and 1 meal that is finger food only, unless having youghurt. It seems to be going really well, and he loves philly sandwiches, they just take him ages to get through. I know what you mean about tham having so much brea though, he loves toast and sandwiches.

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 7:38pm

I can thoroughly recommend porridge fingers from the BLW cookbook (and I think I saw it here somewhere too). Basically just a couple spoons of plain old oats and the same in full fat milk, mix it til it's a thick mush and whack it in the microwave for 2 minutes in the bottom of a cereal bowl. Turns out like reallllllly rubbery overcooked porridge, but Alfie loves it! It comes out like a little round pancake, I rip it in half and once cooled he's away! Think because it has a bread like texture he likes it. Once you've mastered it, you can add mashed banana or raisins before you cook it - haven't tried that yet but might give it a go tomorrow with some banana.

Haven't done any bread today but then A has been a bit grouchy so all he's eaten is a strawberry all day!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 4:35pm

Ooooh, O loves shreddies and cheerio's. Basically anything that I eat she likes.

Loving all the BLW going on! I love it!

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 7:15pm

So proud of my little man today!!

I made some fishcakes - mash, cod, flour & parsley dipped in egg and gently fried - and Alfie went crazy for it! The egg made like a skin and he sucked all the insides out and just spat out the skin that he couldn't chew! No gagging, but LOADS of mess - it was blimmin brilliant! : D

Also made little chicken burgers - whizzed up some red onion, tarragon, breadcrumbs and raw chicken breast, mixed in a bit of beaten egg, rolled in flour and fried. Alfie seemed to like it but unfortunately dropped it before he got really stuck in. (dog loved it though! :) )

That's the first 'real' food I've tried him with and I'm so pleased it went well. He didn't think much of the green beans I gave him with it, but he did at least have a little suck.

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 7:25pm

Awww, Claire thats excellent!!! Goooooo A!!!!

The mess is awesome. A few times I've just stripped her off in the kitchen and put O straight in the bath because there was no point in trying to clean her with a flannel or wipes :D

Jasper

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 8:12pm

You are making such good progress Claire.

I'm thinking of getting the BLW cookbook, but wondered if it tells you whethjer you can freeze the food you make??? I like the sound of loads of the stuff and I am back to work next week so it would be great to get some batch cooking done, rather than cooking everyday. Although he will be having his main meal at lunch so it will often be sandwiches for tea!!!

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 8:16pm

Hi Jasper

I don't have the BLW cookbook but I do have Finger Food For Babies And Toddlers by Jenny Maizels and that definately tells you what is suitable for freezing (it also tells you how to make a sandwich which is less useful!).

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 8:24pm

Tonight I didn't even bother with a bib, just sat him in a vest in the Bumbo, let him rub fishcake all over himself then plonked him straight in the bath!!

Oh and also found a lump of cheese in his belly button this afternoon!! rotf Ate lunch in a cafe, while Alfie sat in the highchair and sucked a stick of cheddar. (much to the delight/horror of my lunch companions!) The crumbs must have gone down the front of his bib/clothes and so I found it nestled in his belly button!! For some reason just really made me chuckle! : D

Jasper - I'm a good cook (blowing my own trumpet there :O ) but still thought it would be good for me to get ideas, and I do think it was worth it. It doesn't really say on individual recipes about freezing, the recipes tend to be quantities for 2 adults and 1 baby, but lots of the things are very suitable. For example tonight I have frozen the chicken burgers and fishcakes raw. I admit I phoned my mum to double check but then I do that alot anyway! :snigger: Do you have any other baby recipe books? I got an Annabel Karmel one free with a magazine once but it has some finger food suggestions in there which are perfectly suitable for BLW. Just make sure the ingredients are suitable for your LO's age (no honey etc).

Gracie

What's Up?

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 8:51pm

Oh, I really love this thread! Today F very much enjoyed sucking on some bread crusts whilst DH and I ate our dinner (at the table, we've decided it's important to knock our lazy TV dinner ways on the head). She was quite happy to and quietly got on with it whilst watching us intently. We then had a yoghurt and I gave her some pureed pear (I've already made a load of purees and I'm not wasting them!), she really seems to want to try and eat it herself, and it's clear she understands what the spoon is for.

Anyway, I am going to see how we get on, Freya is six months to the day on Friday, I can't believe it.

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 9:18pm

Gracie, if you decide to do the BLW approach, no need to waste your purees..... mix the fruit with full fat greek yogurt (yummy) and spread the savoury ones on toast/ricecakes/bread sticks etc!

Time really does fly by doesn't it? I was so focussed on A getting to 6 months so we could start weaning, came as a bit of a surprise that he was 7mths on Sunday!!

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 9:59am

Yay..more BLW'ers…I'm loving this too :D

Can anyone who is more advanced with BLW than me help me with the amount of Milk B is taking? He was having 5 bottles throughout the day (every 3 hours) and we have recently adjusted that to 4 bottles (every 4 hours). I used to make up 70z bottles and he would drink about 6oz and sometimes 7oz of each bottle. So now i am making up 8oz and he is not draining them even though i am actually making up 3oz less of milk in total in the whole day.

I am worrying as although he eats, i still don;t think he eats loads and some days he doesn't want to eat at all. And on the 'fussy' days he genreally will always eat a breadstick or rice cake even after turning down other 'proper' food. Should i be worried about this?

x

goodgreen

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 1:27pm

The recipies on the weaning thread are great too. The 'chips' and schnitzel have been a real hit!!!

Can't help on the milk front, BGE. Sorry!!
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP

My Trying Again Diary

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 2:07pm

BGE he'll be eating more than you think! Especially if he's cutting his milk down.

I think they should be having about 20oz milk on top of any food so he sounds about right. Plus there will be yoghurts,cheese, etc in with that too so I bet he gets more milk.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Greeny. The food thing sounds like he's being fussy and possibly asserting himself if he's eating what he wants rather than what you give him. I've found that O will not eat if she doesn't want something but then I could give her something else and she wants it. I've also found that if she's having one of those days then I have to give her what I'm eating after taking a bite myself so she knows that Mummy is eating it.

If he's turning down food (if it was O) I would just leave it on her tray while we eat. O knows now that even if she doesn't want to eat its tea/dinner time and Mummy and Daddy are eating and she generally joins in too eventually.

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 7:20pm

We went to Pizza express for lunch (me, dh and B) and he had a fair bit to eat, rice cakes, bread sticks, carrotsits, then pizza crusts, red pepper (!) dough balls :D and he had a bit of cottage pie this evening too :)

I agree, when we eat with Ben even if he doesn't want it he plays with it or just enjoys being at the table with us, but we don;t always eat our dinner with him in the evening as he eats at 5…i always try and eat something though, like a few mouthfuls of what he is having or something else, so he is not eating alone :D

Is 20oz really enough if they are not eating that much as his milk hasn;t really decreased, in fact a couple of weeks ago he increased what he was drinking!

goodgreen

Gracie

What's Up?

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 7:12pm

Just thought I'd pop an update on, so far Freya has tried the following:

Mini corns
Melon
Strawberry
Banana
Blueberry
Parsnip
Carrot
Apple
Pear
Bread Sticks and some of those Organix Biscuit thingys and Bread/Toast (she loves bread!)
Cream cheese - Dairy Lea and Philly
A small piece of beef and a bit of casserole
Sweet Potato
Omlette and Eggy Bread
and some Natural Yoghurt

I have also offered broccoli which she eyes suspiciously and refuses to even pick up at the moment - hehehe.

She has just actually eaten a piece of melon all by herself and is currently lapping up some crushed stawberry, blueberry and natural yoghurt. I can't believe she likes it either as it's really sharp!

Good idea on using the purees as dippers (thank you whoever suggested that!) she loves it.

Am really pleased I have chosen to go this route, Freya is happy and is learning so quickly, we've had a few scary gag moments, mostly when I take control and stick a spoonful in on her behalf, interesting that innit?!

Oh and we went for a cream tea yesterday and I let her try and tiny piece of scone with strawberry jam, probably very naughty of me but she loved it. Seems to really enjoy being at the table with us and being sociable.

Happy Mummy and Happy Baby happydance

xxx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 7:41am

:thumbsup:

goodgreen

Gracie

What's Up?

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 7:16pm

Hehe, thanks Greeny!

Well, tonight F had some roast dinner, tried everything apart from, yes you've guessed it, the broccoli!!!!!! :snigger:

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 7:47pm

But its little trees ??? :snigger:

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 7:54pm

Awwww, bless her!!! O loves broccoli! She stuffs whole florrets in!!

We went to a BBQ this afternoon and O was happily chomping on a burger and some cheese and a sausage and then proceeded to steal pasta salad from someone else's plate until she finished it and then she moved onto someone else's chicken!

Gracie

What's Up?

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 5:02pm

That's amazing Flic!

Well, have had my first staring incident. I took some melon out for F when we went to town yesterday and some woman in Neros wouldn't take her eyes off her. F really tucks into melon, obviously this woman has never seen a six month old deal with a proper piece of food before!

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 8:11pm

Gracie, get used to the staring!! You will get it a lot!!

F sounds like she's loving BLW!

I am so so sooooo pleased we went down this route. The only thing ive found that O won't eat is salad, as in lettuce and green salad stuff, she looks at me as if to say 'do I look like a bloody rabbit?? Give me meat and veg!!!'

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 11:03pm

Lily doesn't eat lettuce either - I think it's probably quite difficult to chew without molars. :S
I think broccoli was one of the first things she ate, but she seems to have gone off veggies recently - they have to be mixed in with whatever she's eating so she doesn't see them :snigger:
I was taking the washing out of the machine today and when I turned round Lily seemed to be chewing something. She wouldn't open her mouth to let me see what it was - she was standing beside the cats' food at the time :yuk:

Love hearing about all the new BLWers - it makes mealtimes so much easier doesn't it!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 9:52am

Chris O does have molars!!! She just looks at me like I'm trying to poison her!!

Then after I cleaned her up and put her down while I got the brush to sweep up the food she chucked she proceeded to pick it up and eat it!!

Gross.

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 12:04pm

Ben is the same…won;t eat a salad leaf or cucumber..but will eat a leaf in the park or a daisy!! :snigger:

Ben used to lvoe Broccoli but seems to have gone off eating them…but does seem to enjoy waving it around until the stem eventually snaps off!

He doesn;t appear to like fruit though ?( Or yoghurt?!

Hope Lily's cats eat dried food…rather than whiskas :P

Am well impressed how much Freya loves Melon. Are people still mentioning being scared of choking to you Gracie?

O has molars - wow - when do they come through? Oh boy i have that to look forward to as well. I guess we will not get a good nights sleep until he is 3!! :sadface:

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:13pm

Greeny, they've literally just come through, she's got 4!!!

O will eat stuff out the garden too. Mostly mud.

Jasper

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 2:11pm

My LO was eating a banana ( I was holding it while he took massive bites!) when we were on the ferry to IOW and someone actually came up to me and said how impressed they were with how he ate it. Very proud mummy!!!! :happy: He loves Philly sandwiches and people are always surprised that someone so young is eating sandwiches!

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Gracie

What's Up?

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 5:22pm

I bought Freya a little lunch bag today! It's really cute and just big enough for some sarnies and a banana and maybe some yoghurt! She's funny though, not interested in anything at all today, mind you we've been out so maybe it was too distracting. Am going to try mash potato tonight and maybe some mushrooms.

I love this thread, you guys are great and very inspirational, far better than reading any books. You're giving me the confidence to carry on and never mind what anyone else thinks. [zx161]

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 5:39pm

Thats how i felt when i started this thread…the support on here kept me going, when i had doubt creeping in or the 100th person mentioned chocking adn how many bottles of milk theoir baby was down to a day…

keep at it - its great!

Ben still doesn;t eat some meals or even some days…but they are getting milk so they are fine.

bigkiss

goodgreen

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 8:40pm

I am SO proud! Today I went to my sister's so made Freya a Philadelphia sandwich with one slice of bread, folded in half and flattened down a bit. We ended up in Starbuck's for lunch so I popped her in a chair and she just got stuck in, ate three of the four fingers of sandwich! Cream cheese all round her chops and a big smile on her face. Not even a hint of a gag either.

Her hand eye co-ordination is improving so fast too, she can pop a loaded spoon in her mouth now with very little trouble and won't let me do it for her!

The lady sat next to us looked slightly surprised but she was smiling at her so reckon she thought she looked cute!

I am naughty Greeny as I've got no time for my HVs so I've not spoken to one in months. I don't feel I need to speak to them and I don't want to have the lecture on how much mush Freya should be eating etc etc etc. The NCT breastfeeding woman who I did speak to the other week was far more encouraging and actually lent me a brand new copy of the BLW book.

blowkiss

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 8:51pm

Wow Freya has a good appetite. The most Ben has ever eaten of a sandwich is 2 fingers!!

It's so easy to feed them out. It only takes 1 minute to make a sarni! Ben likes hummus sandwiches and avocado sandwiches too!!

:clap: Well done Freya!

goodgreen

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 8:58pm

It is easy isn't it, I have decided that maybe I am lazy as I can't actually be a**ed to faff about with hot food and thermos flasks like everyone else seems to. It's sarnies and nanas all the way for going out food! Was thinking I might try some cucumber grated in with it to make it a bit more interesting.

I am not good with avocados, so far I've managed to buy one and let it go over ripe and then chuck it, must try again.

I am finally now the proud owner of a microwave, I am not happy about this as it is taking up space in the kitchen and they scare me as I am rubbish with them, but I have to concede that it will make life easier from here on in............................

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 8:49am

Gracie, Freya is doing amazingly. Xander likes sarnies for lunch too with either chicken or cheese as his favourites. His second favourite lunch is rice cakes with philli and yes, the philli goes everywhere, partly because he insists on licking it off the rice cake first. He's had banana & berry bites for breakfast this morning and now has oat everywhere and yesterday looked like he had committed mass murder after demolishing strawberries. You certainly can't be mess-phobic to be a BLW-er!

(BTW, am about to post a link to some recipes in the BLW recipe thread on the weaning page.)
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP

My Trying Again Diary

Gracie

What's Up?

Sunday, June 12th 2011, 9:09pm

Ah yes, strawberries are a favourite here too, they make a dreadful mess don't they! Tonight Freya tried blueberries and raspberries, I just mashed them a bit and put them in with some plain yoghurt - she loved it. I thought all babies had a really sweet tooth but Freya can't get enough yoghurt and fruit and it really isn't that sweet. Still, I am pleased she likes it.

Yesterday I tried a breakfast of oats, prunes and a pear cooked down in a little apple juice and water and then blitzed a bit. Quite a coarse texture and spoon required but it was also a hit! Just as well as there was enough for three days!

I am worrying that I am not putting enough effort into making proper food for Freya at the moment and she isn't actually eating a great deal but then on the other hand she is loving playing with it all and is very happy to sit with us at the table for anything up to an hour so I guess I shouldn't be putting too much importance on how much she actually eats at the moment, I am still breastfeeding her so she is hardly going hungry.

We went to a wedding party yesterday afternoon, I think she was a bit intimidated by the noise and the people but it didn't stop her eating her philly sandwiches!!!!!

Sounds like Xander is doing really well too Elisa, thanks for posting those recipes, I hope to have five minutes to have a good look through and try some of them. :)

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 10:01am

By Jove I Think She's Got It!!

I think we had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday:

Rusk with milk and apricot puree swirled through for breakfast :tick:
Avocado and toast for lunch plus a try of satsuma :tick:
Home made fish pie and peas for dinner :tick:

She actually ate quite a lot (I think anyway, guess I will find out soon enough) :snigger:

Hope all well with you girls out in BLW land!

xxx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 10:18am

Wow, that sounds great Gracie. high5 :clap happydance

I am having a bit of a pudding dilemma for Xander. Does anyone have any tried & tested ideas? I am very conscious that he has a lot of yoghurt / fromage frais / fruit (or combinations thereof) and although he loves it, I don't want him to get bored. All ideas greatly appreciated.
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP

My Trying Again Diary

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 10:44am

How about jelly? Freya tried a mouthful last week and now I am going to make her some, my plan is to put some raspberries in it. Lakeland Plastics make the cutest little jelly moulds with lids on either end (one for pouring in and one for spooning out) I'm going to get them and have some wobbly fun! :yumyum:

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 10:44am

Sugar free ones of course....................

ETS: Sorry above sounds really patronising! I was thinking about it in bed last night and what I mean't to say is that my small, single brain cell just about managed to realise that since sugar free jelly has been invented that perhaps I'd better buy it instead of the normal stuff. I am also suffering from acute deficient noun disease (there's a thread on it somewhere around here) so my writing is currently quite poor...........................:snigger:

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gracie" (Jun 18th 2011, 10:28am)

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 7:24pm

Almost 12 months…amount of food and milk???

Hey!

So B is nearly 12 months old and he is on 4 bottles of milk a day still (7oz, 6oz, 6oz and 8oz) I tried cutting down his 11am milk by diluting his milk, bit did this for 2 weeks and he didn't eat any more food, like i had hoped. I feel that BLW is meant to be a natural process of them letting food take over from Milk, but then read a bit in the book that suggests that bottle fed babies might need help cutting down, unlike breast fed babies. I am trying not to worry, but can;t help myself!! B just doesn't eat much…should i just let things happen naturally, or should i be doing something to help the transition…its so hard to find advice as so many people do the traditional weaning which is so different in terms of controlling food and milk.

Any advice is most welcome :)

goodgreen

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 7:51pm

Hi BGE

Baby bubble was still being b/f at this stage but I purposefully cut down her daytime feeds - just replacing them with snacks. If I remember correctly I started by cutting out the mid morning feed and replacing it with a snack. Perhaps you could just do this rather than trying to dilute his milk which might be a bit confusing for him. Or perhaps a good snack, such as a banana with a sippy cup of milk might be a good transition - that way if he still really needs the milk it will be there for him, he will just have to work harder for it.

Taking a bottle is a very easy way of taking on board milk so you'll probably need to help him cut the daytime ones out. If he chooses not to take any more food despite cutting back on his milk it may just need that he doesn't need anything more. He won't starve and you'll find that he starts to decide when and if he needs more food (baby bubble for example manages to pack in a huge amount of food for breakfast but gradually cuts down as the day goes on - she really does follow the breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper philosophy!).

x

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 9:20pm

Hey chick,

I also had to cut O's milk out during the day. We went cold turkey, gave her a snack, kept her busy and then it was tea time!!

Like Bubble said, he won't starve, cutting out a daytime milk will maybe help him eventually associate that food is for hungry time. After a bit O did start to put more food away.

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Wednesday, June 29th 2011, 2:51pm

Thanks Bubbs and Flic

I dont think i can go cold turkey…he gets hungry. But he wont really eat at the moment. Hmmm…I am cutting down the mornign feed so as to eliminate it completely. He is in a phase of chucking evrything on the floor and looking at it, but he does this with every bit of food nearly now and wont even drink water…either sips and spits or mpstly chucks the cup on the floor!

I wonder if he us just asserting his independence a bit??

Can he really go from 7am-3pm between milk feeds? It seems ages?? He naps at 9.30-11am and then 2.00-3pm. When would you give your 3 feeds Bubble? I know Flic did morning then 4pm and then evening….but i think O was a bigger eater. He was starting to eat a bit more, but has stopped now. He doesnt seem to like lotsd of things now either and i am worried he is going tobe a fussy eater. Hmmmmm ?(

goodgreen

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE