You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rosie N

• "Rosie N" started this thread

Reg: Aug 14th 2009

Tuesday, January 11th 2011, 12:34am

Changing milk

Hello everyone,

My little bundle of joy Jacob is 10 weeks old.

At brith I fed him on SMA gold which didn't quite seem to fill him up, he was always having top ups but seemed to be almost choking on it and being sick whilst seeming very unsettled and slightly in pain.

At 4 weeks the health visitor said it was most likely to be bad colic and after trying new bottles and teats suggested we try a different formula - cow & gate comfort. This worked a treat and he was so settled it was lovely.....at 8 weeks the same things started to happen but worse. Now he has about half his milk then really protests about drinking any more yet he still looks starving!! and again the apparent pain and slight sickyness has gotten worse. The health visitors say don't change his milk yet they say he shouldnt be like this on the comfort milk. They say it could be a bit of reflux and that baby gaviscon is good but I am not convinced it is that.

I saw the GP today who said he wouldnt suggest changing milk but only for the fact that it maybe exactly the same and I could end up changing it every couple of weeks so I may as well ride it out with the comfort.

I am getting really frustrated now, all I want is for Jacob to be settled and happy with his milk but he really isn't.

Does anyone else have this trouble??
Thanks

Rosie
Rosie N

IUI Jan 2010 - BFN

IUI Feb 2010 - BFP

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, January 11th 2011, 8:52am

Hiya,

For the colic we tried infacol which did the trick for us. It was still difficult to get the wind out sometimes but it did eventually come up.

I would go with you gp's advice and not change the milk. He is only 8 weeks old and his body will still be getting used to everything. If it's reflux I can't give any advice but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

We found that O was sick if she ate too much, which she did regularly at that age.

How much milk is he on? Do you feed on demand? If he's protesting I would take the milk away and offer it again 10 minutes later. Once he calms down he may have sone more.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Tuesday, January 11th 2011, 2:49pm

Infacol worked well for us.
Also both of my two were on gaviscon for reflux.
If you are not sure then call gp of hv again for further advice. You know your baby better then anyone so push if you feel very sure its not reflux.
Good Luck
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

• "angels&babies" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Tuesday, January 11th 2011, 2:57pm

What size of teats are you using?
I had a similar problem where my daughter wouldn't take her milk and fussed with it and I gradually upped her teats.
When she was born, she was a guzzler and so the MW said to put her up to a 2nd stage teat which I did but she took it too fast and then threw the whole feed back up. After that I was a bit reluctant to put the teat size up too quickly so she was on size 1 for ages.
I changed teat size quite quickly up to her recommended age one and she seemed to tolerate it a bit better.
There does sound like there is maybe a bit of reflux there but teat changing may help.
I also when upping the teat size made A have a break at times through the feed so she didn't guzzle it all.
Hope this helps,x

2nd ICSI March 2009 :BFP:
4 Top Grade 1 Frosties in Waiting for next time!
bab21
My Diary

Reg: Apr 17th 2010

Friday, April 1st 2011, 8:22pm

HIya - for colic you could try colief: they say you can tell within a few days. I believe it does help my LO a bit, although not resolve all colic issues (I still use Infacol too)
x