You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Blue

• "Blue" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, January 15th 2011, 9:41pm

Moving 1 year old twins into a big bed, as in, a double bed?!

Dear all,
I'm really not sure what to do about the sleeping situation for our girls.
They don't like their (very expensive!!!!) cots. But they sleep like logs in our double bed. At first I thought awwww.... they want to be in the bed with us. But oh no. It really doesn't matter if we are in the bed or not. In fact, I think they prefer us not be there so they can enjoy the extra space.

They are almost one, both tall for their age (98% percentile) and one is almost walking. This makes me think its not worth the battle of trying to get them used to their cots now, we've left it too late. And if they do like having lots of space, toddler beds might be a similar waste of money. But they can't pinch our bed forever.

So I was thinking of moving them into a small room, that was completely empty apart from a double mattress on the floor or on a very low bedframe (e.g. just a wooden slatted base). And putting some long pillows between them, and a babygate on the door and leaving the door open.

But I've never heard of anyone giving such little babies a double bed to sleep in before. Has anyone done anything similar?
Any advice on this would be gratefully received.
Blue
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Saturday, January 15th 2011, 10:14pm

I don't think this is probably much help but I thought I'd mention it anyway (you know me!).

I have friends who went down the 'attachment parenting' route and their first baby never slept in a cot at all. They had him on a single futon next to their double futon. It seemed to work OK for them but I'm afraid I don't know much about the mechanics (like, did they do anything to prevent him falling off his bed, once he was mobile was he just off and away round the room, how long did they keep him with them in their room (I think ages) etc ... ).
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, January 15th 2011, 10:24pm

Thanks Jessica :heart:

We'd only keep them in the same room as us because we'd be worried one might wake up and then accidentally hurt the other. I'd rather they had a separate room. Oh I don't know. I just want my bed back!

My Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 12:39am

Oh you know, just do what suits you. what suits them and what you think might work. Why 'not' give them a double bed if you have the space? You can buy bed sides from the likes of Argos and shove the mattress up agains the wall.

I can't see a problem at all apart from the fact that your bed smells of you and they probably like that. If you're going to do it then I'd take your old sheets off your bed and put them onto the new mattress. (Mum's bed was always comfier than your own wasn't it)

My eldest had a proper bed at 18 months and a baby gate on her bedroom door like you''ve planned. I kept the door open and she was right as rain. Sounds good to me and if it doesn't work out then well, try something else.

A few of my mantras. Don't sweat the small stuff, pick your battles and do what works. (also, if it works but people probably won't approve, do it and just don't tell anyone ; ) )

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 12:39pm

If you want to get some bed rails, get yourself to Asda. The baby event starts on Tuesday, they often have stuff in the weekend before and bed rails are down to £15 so worth picking up if you're going to try them.

Btw I have a bed rail on our bed for when Nancy comes in with us, I found it to be great.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 12:54pm

Bells - just showed your post to my DH, and he thinks you are cool 88)

PollyPocket - thanks for that, I always miss the ASDA events and it winds me up each time. I am on my way!

My Diary

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, January 16th 2011, 8:03pm

DD1 hated her cot but I persevered and we got a couple of months very interupted sleep out of it!

Didn't even try with DD2 slept in a double bed from the get go - pushed up against the wall with a barrier thing on the other side and with either my DH or me for company when she woke up and was whiny!

My philosophy with sleep is that, when they're little, it doesn't matter where they sleep or who they're sleeping with, as long as everyone gets a good night's sleep!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, January 17th 2011, 4:23pm

My philosophy with sleep is that, when they're little, it doesn't matter where they sleep or who they're sleeping with, as long as everyone gets a good night's sleep!

I like that philosophy!

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, February 12th 2011, 10:31am

mine hated their cots, was a complete waste of money! we bought them a double bed and a bed guard and that is how it has been since :)
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Monday, February 14th 2011, 11:54pm

what a gd thread! bubs is in a cot BUT wont go to sleep in it - so have to transfer him etc then around 5 am bing! theres a baby back in my bed!

we've bought him a little tikes cozy coupe bed (ebay lol) and they look quite good as bubs cant fall out as they have a lip on it. no doubt he'll find a way. he sleeps like a log in my bed preverbial starfish. the 3 in the bed got that bad that my DH got kicked out most nights. he soon got sick of this so we bought a super king size bed - plenty of room for all now!
we've thought bout a matress (single) for him but dunno how he'd like that. i have to secure the window first as its low.

but after reading this i wonder if hed be better of in a bed - as he sleeps so well in ours, perhaps the confinement of the bars could be an issue?

BUT as a child (apparently, so i was told) never slept a night through til i was 6....my parents bought me a double bed.....slept through. funny isnt it?

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, February 15th 2011, 8:53am

really interested in this thread and the outcome for those of you who buy the double bed...keep us posted!

Ever since she started rolling last June M has been such a pain in her cot. Not so bad once she could crawl but we had 3 terrible months of disrupted sleep having to rescue her from yet another ridiculous position. I am a terrible sleeper so have always resisted her coming into bed with me but if she wakes around 5am and thinks she would like to start her day then she will never settle in her cot and ends up in the big bed! I have a guard on the side so even with wriggling about she is safe. Both in her cot and in my bed she prefers to sleep horizontally. For a while she's been too long to manage this in her cot which, I think, is why she doesn't like it too much. A complete pain as it si a cot bed so I thought it was going to last her for years! After reading this thread I am wondering if she'd be better in a larger bed where she would have more space......

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Tuesday, February 15th 2011, 5:02pm

bub's bed lol
poppit26 has attached the following files:
  • bed1.jpg (28.94 kB - 9 times downloaded - latest: Apr 16th 2011, 9:25pm)
  • bed2.jpg (26.01 kB - 7 times downloaded - latest: Apr 12th 2011, 11:22pm)

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 11:04am

Well dont know if this helps but......

We started off with an arms reach co sleeper cot which was great as i exclusively BF but i made the mistake of collapsing it down (it took up a lot of room) & moving her into a normal cot in her own room at around 6 months as that seemed to be the 'done' thing! Thus followed several months of sleepless nights & trying all sorts of sleep training! But she just hated the restriction of the bars & obviously being away from us plus she still BF at night till around 10 months. So we then tried converting the cot into a junior bed which also had limited sucess. So to cut a long story short we all now just co sleep! We have a kingsize bed with a bedguard which stops me falling out :snigger: as B likes to be in the middle! This way we all get to sleep & as Bells said you do what works for you. I cant see the problem of trying a double bed B can get on & off ours (its a low height metal frame) with great skill now & only fell out once when DH was away overnight so wasnt there to stop her :snigger: GOOD LUCK!
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 11:15am

This is interesting, thank you everyone for posting!

We have progressed to converting one of our cots into a co-sleeper which we put one baby in, which leaves 3 in the double bed. We have more space, but not much more!

I am now convincing DH to buy a super King, and making it safe for all 4 of us to sleep in.
When we have got out act together, we'll move the girls out into their nursery, and I am thinking they will have a double bed that is very low to the floor, either with no bars or use a BabyGate pen around the edge. It's a small room and they can't get up to much mischief, so probably the former.

I just never thought that out of all the purchases I made, the cot would have been one we got the least use out of :snigger:

My Diary

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 11:53am

lol blue
if going to the expense of a super king size get a mattress protector too.......we got our s in the sale and its so comfy and BIG! the only prob i have with it is chenging the duvet cover and flufftying it as its nearly 7ft! bedding is pricey so look on ebay for that (duvet cover/pillow cases from £14 new fitted sheets from £8 if you want the names of the shops PM me and i'll give them too you) when bubs isnt in bed with us we have LOADSA room! srawl as much as you like! slightly off track there sorry x

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 9:12pm

Ooooh, we've got a superking and its lovely!!

We got our bedding from Dunelm as they had HUGE choice which was great. Lots of space for everyone in bed too!

But the duvet is massive.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 11:44pm

i have to stand on the bed to fluffty it!

im now the proud owner of a pine toddler bed courtesy of a wasteful idiot! its in my livig room at the mo and bubs has been climbing on n off it and lying down.....will sort his room out on firday give him a trial run

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests