You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 1:22pm

Cow's milk -v- Growing up milk and bottle to beaker questions!

My little people are fast approaching their first birthday, how did that happen?!!

They've been formula fed exclusively since 4 months, weaned at 5-6 months and at the mo DD has 14 fl oz a day split into morning and evening. DS less than that, on a good day he'll have about 10fl oz.

I'm really keen to bin those bottles and the wretched steriliser (though am v grateful for it keeping bottles/teats etc uber clean all this time :D ) but am struggling to convince the babies that the beaker is the way forward. I thoguht maybe formula is too thick for a cup spout so have tried cow's milk, warm and cold but they just push it away. They drink water out of a beaker without thinking about it.

What tips and tricks have you used to ditch the bottles for milk? Should I just wait a little longer ? [zx002]

Also should I bother with Growing up Milk formula? I make all the babies' food and give them a very healthy balanced diet. My inclination is to go with cow's milk and sod all the hassle of continuing making up formula and obviously not have the cost of it too.

Thanks in advance
x

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 1:34pm

Helloooooo, I have the same dilemma, but my two seem to like cows milk in a tommee tippy sippy cup.
From talking to all my friends who have babies a year older I've been told that it's best to go one step at a time (although I'm sure other disagree).
So, I'm starting with cows milk in a sippy cup at snack time just to get them used to the taste.
Next month (thought I'd give them an extra 3 weeks as they were a month early) I will put 7oz cows milk in the morning bottle instead of formula, and as mine are teeny I thought I'd give them the growing up milk for the 7oz evening feed for a few more months
And by the time they are 16 months I will have them taking all their milk as cows milk from cups (hopefully!)- like you I'm very ready to give up the steriliser and formula cost!
They are used to the cups with water. I guess yours are too. I think it's just patience and keeping on trying.
But many of my friends give the evening feed to their 2 year olds using a bottle as they find it comforting. I guess that's up to the individual.
Not sure Ive helped, but that's my plan! Keep trying them with a little cows milk in a cup and they will get used to it.
x
p.s. have you worked out how much milk you will need to buy for two?! My fridge isn't big enough for the whole weeks worth!

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Ros" (Feb 17th 2011, 1:38pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 1:35pm

If you find a way, let me know! I have been trying for weeks to get Martha to drink milk from a cup (warm, cold, formula cows milk) but she just won't have it. She is given milk in a beaker at nursery too but, again, won't drink it so not even peer pressure is working there. To be honest I'm not that worried - it isn't like she spends all day with a bottle hanging out of her mouth. Just like her refusing to take a bottle for all of those months last year adn then one day doing it with no issue I am sure it will be the smae with the beaker. I just keep presenting her with the cup of milk adn not making a big issue out of it. I don't sterlise her bottles any more - they just go in the dishwasher. She has 2 bottles a day still, one in the morning and one in the evening. She will drink cow's milk but I still give her formula in the evening as she really isn't a good eater and despite many many months of trying won't eat much variety so I really don't think she's getting a balanced diet (unless you can get all of the nutrients you need from fruit, which she would happily spend all day eating!). I tried a week of giving her nothing but cow's milk but it didn't improve her eating at all. If she was eating well like your two I would ditch the formula.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 1:48pm

Hmmm I thought I might not be alone for long :snigger:

I'll keep offering them cow's milk in a beaker at snack time and see how it goes. Morning feed might be second choice but I dont' even entertain the idea at evenings as they get too fractious and just love being cuddled up with their bottle. It is definitely a comforting relaxing thing for them. Hopefully a beaker will take on that role soon enough.

If she was eating well like your two I would ditch the formula.

They do eat very well, at least for now! I'll maybe just try cow's milk in the morning and formula in the evenings for a while and then switch the evenings too. Do you think they'll be needing more food as a result of stopping formula? They both have huge appetites and rarely seem to be full!!

My fridge isn't big enough for the whole weeks worth!

I hadn't thought of that Ros :snigger: Good job I have a shop 5 mins away so I don't have to stock up too much!

4 x ICSI BFN

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 2:20pm

Do you think they'll be needing more food as a result of stopping formula?

hard to tell. In theory the cow's milk should be more like a drink rather than a meal but then I have spoken to some mums who think that the cow's milk takes longer for their little ones to digest compared to formula. Can't say I noticed any difference with Martha!
Have you tried them on just cow's milk in a bottle? M was happy enough with that from the start but if the twinnies reject it then you can try a slow replacement strategy, e.g. 2/3rd formula, 1/3rd cows milk in same bottle and slowly increase ratio of cows milk.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 2:35pm

Ooooh, I've just changed over to cows milk and its in a bottle. She will not even think about taking anything other than water from a cup!

She also has a good diet so I'm not bothering with growing up milk.

As for the food question, I'm a bit torn at the moment. O used to sleep though but now she wakes up and wants more milk (she does the sign!) so I don't know if she's still hungry or if its because she's been a bit poorly. Last night she had her normal 6oz before bed and then another 3 oz about 11 and then another 3 oz at about 12.30.

I'm debating whether to give her an evening snack before bed and before her milk.

She actually prefers cows milk to formula too, she will guzzle the milk down now where as before she would sometimes leave some and it could take ages for her to drink it sometimes too.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Ozzy

Star

Reg: Apr 9th 2008

Location: I live in West Yorkshire but will always be a Geordie!

Friday, February 18th 2011, 8:00am

Hi Duff - just a quick one cos T is emptying all grandma's drawers!

I wanted to get T on cows milk from a cup before we went on holiday last year for convenience - that was a week before his birthday.

I started about 4 weeks before we went and gave him his formula in a cup for evening feeds for a week, then mornings too for a week, then did half formula and half cows milk mixed for a week then was on cows milk in a cup a week before we went, just in case of dodgy nappies! I used the Tommee Tippee lip touch cups and still do, the ones with handles to start.

Ooh, wipes and nappy sacks in danger - love to you and Mr D, both babies and the dogs xxx
Catherine

Me 37, PCO. DH 44, average!
IVF #1 April 08 abandoned (too many follies, risk of OHSS)
IVF #2 - BFN
IVF #3 - BFP 14/02/09

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, February 18th 2011, 12:07pm

Have you tried them on just cow's milk in a bottle?

No I haven't but I think that'll be my next move...

She actually prefers cows milk to formula too, she will guzzle the milk down now where as before she would sometimes leave some and it could take ages for her to drink it sometimes too.

That's interesting because they're definitely getting slower to finish formula than a while ago. I'm on the biggest teats so it can't be that. Quite excited about trying cow's milk in a bottle and seeing what happens! Sorry O is getting you up of an evening but cool that she can tell you what she wants! I think I'm going to increase portion sizes a little bit on the basis that they're hungry and definitely not getting fat. Little T is so much more active just in these past couple of weeks that she must be burning off more calories now.

and gave him his formula in a cup for evening feeds for a week

Hey ozzy, they won't take formula in a cup what-so-ever. I have an array of beakers/sippy cups and the like and I 'think' a couple of them are the Tommee Tippee ones you mentioned, though annoyingly with no handles! Stupid Duffy didn't look at those properly! I would say they're the ones they drink water out of best. Then I have two annabel karmel ones, two boots ones (the handles are fixed to the base which never screws on to match with the spout :rolleyes: ) i have two doiddy cups and a couple of Avent ones, one with soft spout, one with hard. I am trying to win the babies over!!

4 x ICSI BFN

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 8:29am

I still struggle to get Will to take any milk from a cup and like you Duff, I have tried every cup going but I know if I gave him a bottle again that he would love it. I just try to make sure that he gets his calcium in other places, yoghurt, cheese, mile with his cereal etc

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 3:24pm

My two aren't interested in milk from a cup either. I'm quite happy to keep them on bottles for a while longer, I'll try again in a few months time. For me it's more important that they get their calcium fix and a decent fluid volume to kick start the day.

I switched my two to cows milk no problem, they didn't seem to mind the difference in taste. However, the first few nights of cows milk they both woke up really early (4am) and wouldn't resettle, which was unisual for them. I switched to evening formula again and their sleep went back to normal. I'm not going to buy more formula now so I'm now mixing formula with cows milk in decreasing combinations at night in the hope it'll be ok!

Moonshine

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, February 24th 2011, 9:46am

Thanks for the advice chaps. I won't beat myself up about them being one and still having a bottle though I know I will quietly get frustrated!!

DD has been difficult of late and last night would not settle at 1am. So much so I made up some formula and she downed 200ml without taking a breath!! :what: Not related to the thread title but making me think I won't ditch the formula just now either!! I wonder if there is a growth spurt at 12 months ?( She's a teeny thing though. No idea where it all goes! :snigger:

x

4 x ICSI BFN

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Thursday, February 24th 2011, 9:53am

I moved DD to normal milk when she was 13 months (after some reading etc), she absolutely loved it and I never had any problems with it but.... at first she hated beaker, absolutely didn't like it and we had to continue with bottles (but the same time I stopped to sterilize, what a relief it was...................) but then... in a month or so she learned obviously that beaker is a good thing :) and it is all okay since! good luck! (sorry about bad nights, DD was an excelent sleeper until 14 months and now wakes up every night, so I do understand :))

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ginger74" (Feb 24th 2011, 9:55am)

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Thursday, February 24th 2011, 9:53am

ups posted twice for some reason :)

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ginger74" (Feb 24th 2011, 9:55am)

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, February 26th 2011, 7:23pm

Duffy, O started to wake up during the night when I switched over. I have to make sure she has a good dinner and then a good milk feed. I think the cows milk must digest quicker maybe?

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!