You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Blue

• "Blue" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 8:27am

Stokke Tripp Trapp - I'm confused!

Dear all,
My girls are now 13 months, and very good eaters (feed themselves). I want to change the highchairs they are in because we have the big old plastic, cushioned, highchair with a tray. They look very comfy, and the seats are still spacious. But they tend to throw food off the tray, and I am hoping they would do that less if they were sat around the table with us, rather looking a bit detached from us in their current highchairs. Also, I am very fed up at tripping over the huge legs of their high chairs!

So the Tripp Trapp appeals to me because it is much smaller, tucks away, and the girls can sit at the table just like their parents do.

But I don't get it.. at 13 months, do I still need to get the plastic baby seat thingy? And is the harness also a must? I've read some bad reviews about both, and I'm wondering whether if I waited until the girls are older, I could save some money and not get them.

What do you think? Do you love your Tripp Trapp?
Thanks!
B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 9:08am

Hi Blue,

I don't have personal experience with the trip trap high chair, so can't offer any real practical advice, but I do know that I will def use them in the future. (all going well!) We live in Norway and no-one uses anything else but these! No plastic high chairs in sight! I must admit when I first saw this I did think - they put their children in these - really??!!! But I soon saw how practical they were. If a family has children, they have one of these and I think it makes the children so much more part of eating times from a very early age. They look fantastic and the children love them, using them right up until they are 5-6 years old sometimes! They don't have the plastic baby seat thingy, but I would use a harness because of your children's age and as you feel they are more stable you can take this away. xxx

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 9:23am

My sister uses one.

We will be buying 2 very shortly for S&L. I think they're fantastic and having them "with us" at the table is something that really appeals.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 9:26am

Thanks AG!
They do look lovely.
It looks to me as if they plastic baby seat thingy is a recent addition? But they recommend it up to 14-18 months. I think the chair looks a bit insecure without it (nothing going around the babies waist, as the hardness just does the shoulders, if tha makes any sense?!)

Mr C, will you be buying the babyset to go with the chair?
B
x

My Diary

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 10:08am

We have one. M still uses the plastic seat but only because we already have it. When we have lunch at her cousins' house she doesn't use it on theirs. Haven't used harness for months, the space between back and bar at front is pretty tight! One thing to be careful of is position. M pushes herself off the table with her feet when in it. She has a wall close behind her so it could never completely tip but I have read some internet stories of other kids managing to do that.
BTW, we have an IKEA highchair for baby guests and that also slots under our table meaning they don't eat from a tray.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Mr C

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 10:12am

We will be getting the plastic baby set, but won't be bothering with the fabric cover piece. My sister said her's spent so much time in the machine it was barely on the seat, so didn't bother afterwards.

I love the fact everything is wipe clean and ready for use again.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 11:00am

We have a similar one which is made by Hauck (which is much cheaper). We've used it since about 14/15 months and have never had the insert for it. If they can sit well and are of a decent size then they shouldn't need it. The Hauck one doesn't have a harness as such but a leg divider strap so they still can't get out by themselves.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 11:20am

Yes, definitely don't buy the fabric cushion thing! We had the full gear because a's parents bought it as a gift but I never even put the cushion on as could see it was a waste of time.

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 1:21pm

Thanks all!
Hmmm, I'm now wondering whether to get the Hauck that Bubble mentioned. One of the reviewers on Amazon really liked this, and had owned a Tripp Trapp before.

Another question now! Has anyone got the Stokke tray thingy you put on the table (not the chair) ? I really like the look of this (cute giraffe picture on it, plus extra pictures to swap), but the price seems extortionate (!)
I'm a bit broke... hence all these questions.
x

My Diary

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 1:49pm

I went for the Hauck one because of the price Blue - we'd spent a ridiculous amount on an all-singing all-dancing big plastic thing which I hated so didn't want to spend loads on a second one. Plus the reviews were really good. Perhaps if I had a tripp trapp to compare against it might not measure up so well but compared to the plastic monster, well I love it and I have no complaints at all.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 3:51pm

we'd spent a ridiculous amount on an all-singing all-dancing big plastic thing which I hated so didn't want to spend loads on a second one

I hear you sister, snap!

My Diary

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 3:54pm

We have the Babydan chair - very similar to the TT but much cheaper, though not as cheap as the Hauck.

We were going to go for the TT but some reviews (and video footage on YouTube) about them tipping backwards really put us off. It seems for some people they tip, others with exactly the same circumstances (ie: carpet/hard floors) don't. We didn't want to take the chance and none of the Babydan reviews mentioned tipping so we went for that one and have been really happy with it. DS has been in it since he was 6 months old and is still in it at 18 months.

We bought the cushion which did used to get wrecked but washed up well and I think made it a bit comfier for him. We don't use it anymore; I notice he slides about a little bit however it doesn't seem to bother him. I'd definitely recommend it.

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, February 21st 2011, 12:06pm

Hi Jessica,
Do you think your DS will be happy in his chair for a while yet?
My girls are 13 months and 98% percentile, so I'm trying to get my money's worth out of this next purchase.
Their buggy was meant to last them until they were aged 5, and already they look well and truly wedged in it...

B
x

My Diary

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Monday, February 21st 2011, 1:26pm

Oh yes, it hasn't even crossed my mind that he might not. It's still very easy to get him into the baby seat bit. I can't see him getting wedged and us needing to dispense with the baby seat for a long time.

When we do, though, the chair will still be OK for him until he can sit on a proper chair as it grows with him like the TT. Oh, and with the Babydan the baby seat bit comes with the seat anyway so you haven't lost anything if you don't need to use that part for long.

DS is 75th centile for weight but only 25th for length (or at least he was last time he was measured at 11 months) so he's fairly chunky!

(PS: I know what you mean about buggies - even though he's a little on the short side DS's head is right up near the hood on his. Thankfully he's walking a lot now so we don't use the buggy for short trips.)

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, February 21st 2011, 1:32pm

Thanks Jessica, that's good to know. How was the chair to assemble? I'm reading all the reviews and they are all very positive, but several have mentioned some of the screws didn't fit properly.
Also read of one case of tipping, but I think its possible to tip most types of wooden highchair is the kiddy is determined enough...

I've gone back to being confused! But the BabyDan (in black or walnut) is my current favourite as its dark and won't stain so easily. That's very important in our household!

My Diary

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, February 21st 2011, 1:33pm

he's fairly chunky!

lurve

My Diary

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Monday, February 21st 2011, 1:49pm

How was the chair to assemble?

Well you have to bear in mind I'm not great at D&Y but a lot better than my DH.....

I had to put the thing together 3 times before it worked for us. We got it when DS was 6 months. The baby seat thing has 3 positions so I assumed it needed to be on the smallest to start with. Needless to say DS didn't fit into it and cried when we tried to wedge him in. (Oh dear!) So I took it apart and put it on the middle setting ... still too tight. So he's been in it on the biggest setting since 6 months and is still fine like that. On reflection I think the smaller settings are probably for parents starting weaning at 4 months.

I didn't have any problems at all with screws not fitting. The secret is not to tighten anything up until the very end once all the components are in place. Basically, there are the 2 side sections and then various pieces which bridge the 2 sides - back, seat, footrest, bracing bits at the bottom - and probably the best way to do it is to fit all the bridging pieces onto one side section and then fit them into the other side section and then finally tighten all the bolts.

If it would help I can pm you a couple of recent pics of DS in his chair so you can see how he fits into it? You don't have to say yes!

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, February 21st 2011, 1:57pm

I'd love to see some pics Jessica. Your DS is so gorgeous though, you could sit him in any type of seat and he'd look so handsome I'd want to buy it!

My Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 21st 2011, 2:53pm

Just to say that my DD1 had the TT when she was a titch and she used it until she was about nine years old.

Now it's been made back into a highchair and her little brother uses it. I'll give them one thing, you get the use out of them l-o-n-g after your baby's outgrown the highchair stage. I'm sure the other wooden ones are the same and it's probably too far off for consideration at the moment but at 3-4-5-6.... years old they can still sit at a really good height at the dining table with these types of chairs.

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, February 21st 2011, 3:25pm

Bells, can you sit on the chair? I ask because the marketing said something about your child could take it away to university with them... I love that thought of the chair always being with them. That, and it comes in purple :snigger:

My Diary

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, February 21st 2011, 3:30pm

Bells is the size of a 9 year old though - in a lovely small package way, not a oompa loompa way - so it might not be representative of most people going to Uni!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Monday, February 21st 2011, 5:28pm

I am not small and I can sit on it...but would not find it comfy for long periods but then I like nice high back to my chairs.

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, February 21st 2011, 6:05pm

Bells is the size of a 9 year old though - in a lovely small package way

:snigger: I forgot that.

And thanks Jen!

I was undecided, but now I'm not too sure...
I think with the TT, I will have to use the harness (not included) because I won't be using the baby insert. But their current harness is so manky, I'd rather do without if possible.
And it looks like I don't need a harness with either the Hauck or the BabyDan.
So I guess BabyDan is still in the lead because it comes in dark colours. Two of the BabyDans would be £140, whereas two of the TT with harnesses (extra) would be £365.

Considering my budget is approximately £0, I think I have my answer!

My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blue" (Feb 21st 2011, 6:06pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 8:23am

if your budget is 0 then ebay, gumtree and preloved!!! These chairs are certainly built to last so secondhand would be fine. If your girls are going to use them approx 3 times a day every day until their 9 (give or take hols, etc) then cost per use must be tiny tiny anyway - much less than all of the other purchases, I bet. I really don;t think it will matter which brand you buy.

Don't see why you would need the harness or baby seat with the TT anyway - M doesn't use either at her cousins' house. In fact, when down south last August (so she was only 7 months) we had a very successful lunch at a friend's house where neither harness nor baby seat was available for the TT they had. Not sure I would recommend it all the time at that age, but she certainly came to no harm. The TT also comes in dark colours, I know a couple of people who have the dark wood ones. A's sister probably has both the baby seats and harnesses (her girls are now 5 & 7 and yes, all of the grandchildren are bought these chairs!) for hers kicking around somewhere. If she does I'm sure she'd be happy to long term loan them to you.

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 11:55am

We had a harness but never used it. It's a pretty tight fit with the front bar thing on.

And yes, I could still sit on it :D When you re-jig it, it's just like a normal chair thing. We had a cushion because someone bought it for us but we didn't really use it.

As I said, I haven't looked at the others (so they might all do the same) but the plus points of the TT was that it was useful for the small/medium/large child stage and it was really nice for her little feet reach the wooden tray thing underneath rather than dangling in mid air or having to be in a certain position on a little plastic tray like the regular highchairs.

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 1:34pm

Hi Blue

We have two TTs, plus the babysets and the cushions. I've used them from the start of weaning. I didn't bother with the harnesses as they were biggish babies so for smaller babies (at 6 months) it probably is advisable.

There's no way mine could sit safely without the babysets. Maybe just the harnesses would be an option but we certainly find the babysets keep them nice and secure. I do use the back cushions for both and just put them on a rinse cycle once a week. My DD has the seat cushion too but I can't use one for DS because his thighs are so chubby :D In fact it's still a little tricky getting him in and out, but we do use reusable nappies and this makes him wider too!

Another negative point is if you go for a painted option (we went for black) they will crack a bit with all the wiping etc. I take them apart once a week/fortnight and give them a proper wash. They haven't cracked to the extent the paint is peeling, but they just look a bit weathered! However as the trays are essentially reversible we're keeping one side looking new.

I hadn't read of babies tipping over but mine can push them back. If you do get them, it's really important you put the long gliders on the legs (you get given long and short).

I did get the trays too (the giraffe/numbers etc) We used them for a couple of months but we have a wooden table and inevitably there'd be mess outside the tray too so there would be a lot of wiping/washing at the end of every meal. I ended up getting some PVC material and got a metre of that and some tablecloth clips and that's a lot easier to wipe in one go! We'll probably use the trays in the future.

I got mine from a website called Lullabys and at the time the tray was free when you bought the chairs, the babyset and cushions but I wouldn't get it as an additional accessory. They're very pricey for what is essentially a bit of plastic with suction pads. Lullabys is a good website for seeing different chair colours with babyset/cushion options!

We do love our TTs. The babies can sit at the table with us which is why we opted for them in the first place. There's going to be cleaning with any highchair and I think these are pretty good for being easy to wipe and not too high maintenance. We've just been away for the weekend and had use of three different highchairs, hated all of them!

The TTs are pricey but they will last a long long time and i'm sure we'll get many years use of ours.

x

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:04pm

ah I understand what you are all going on about now! Have just looked at kiddicare website and their baby set looks different to the one we have. Duffy - is your babyset a big plastic thing? that has a backseat and bit at the front?
For ours we have the harness (big pain in the bottom and only used a handful of times), a plastic backseat bit and, independent to that palstic backseat bit, a wooden and leather bit that goes on the front to stop them slipping forwards. Definitely need the latter if you don't have a harness but not the back seat bit. I thought that Blue was talking about the back seat plastic bit not the bit at the front! We also have the extended gliders on the chair legs but M can still push it and make it rock a bit (she is a terrible wriggle bum though).

Didn't realise how ridiculously expensive the babyset was - I definitely would not have forked out for this chair if it hadn't been a gift and the Hauck or Babydan look pretty good to me. Though, as I have said before, the Ikea one fits under our table too and, in my opinion, for this age is just as good if your table is high enough and you're not concerned about having one that lasts years and years.

We also use wipe clean PVC fabric on the wooden table (and another piece underneath her chair for easy cleaning of floor) and had a very fetching red and white snowflake number over Xmas.

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:19pm

We had that tablecloth too!

I was also considering the ikea one but we have quite a low lip on our table and I was concerned it wouldn't fit under. Plus we don't have a nearby ikea. For £10ish it is a very good buy.

It sounds as though the Hauck, babydan and TT all do very much the same thing so the choice is yours Blue! Re colours, I have the oak coloured Hauck and have never had a problem with staining or not being able to get it clean.

The other thing that maybe an option and I seriously considered was a wooden chair attachment like this one http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stor…5_103389_10001_ I had to discount it as we often have a full house at our dining table and it helps for her to have her own chair but it might be an option for you?

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:40pm

A very child-friendly cafe in our town has those handysit chairs, Bubble, and they are great! But they don't have the grow-as-your-child does potential which I think Blue is looking for (or, at least, would prefer).

I was just going to say as well, about the colours, that I don't think a dark chair would be any better or worse than a lighter one. We have the 'natural' Babydan and it's absolutely fine to clean - just a quick wipe and it looks as good as new. I think a darker chair would show up all the lighter stuff babies eat - porridge, yoghurt, mashed potato etc - in the same way a lighter chair shows up the dark stuff!

Also, with ours, quite often it looks fine but when I run a hand over it I can feel bits so it gets a wipe down regardless. I think it's easier to wipe it quickly after each meal, whether it looks like it needs it or not!

(We used to have a black cat. Obviously we found dark fur all over pale things like sofa throws and duvet covers but, just to keep us on our toes, he managed to shed pale fur on anything dark!)

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:49pm

Well, I've made a purchase....

My Diary

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:52pm

don't keep us in suspense!!!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:59pm

It was a Tripp Trapp! And a harness, although having just read this (wish I'd checked FZ earlier!) it sounds like I'll be sending the harness right back.
And I just ordered a babyset thingy too.

And get this. I very tentatively brought up the topic of buying new highchairs with DH. I thought he'd go crazy at the prices. But he was actually ok with the price, but with one condition attached - that these chairs must really last because this was going to be our very last conversation about highchairs, ever.

So TT number 1 will arrive tomorrow, so one DD can sit and eat with us tomorrow night, and the other will be aloft and aloof in the plastic monstrosity! But if all goes well, we'll order another TT. But if we're the slightest bit grumpy about the result of spending IMHO an obscene amount of money on this, we'll go down the BabyDan or Hauck route.

My Diary

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 3:08pm

will be interested to see what you think x

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 3:12pm

I'll let you know!
Thanks for all you help,
x

My Diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, February 24th 2011, 9:35am

I'll let you know!

...and the verdict is? :eyebrows:

Hope you like :)

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, February 25th 2011, 1:14pm

Hi Duffster,
I did like it, it was most pleasing!
But I didn't like it enough to warrant the price so I'm going to return it.
So it's back to either the Hauck or the BabyDan.

x

My Diary

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Friday, February 25th 2011, 1:25pm

Ooh, interesting! I thought you'd be really wowed by it; well done on not letting your heart rule your head (or, more importantly, your purse!).

I can't help on the decision between the Hauck and the Babydan as I only know one of them. But I'll be really interested to see what you go for!

ETS I hope I haven't offended any TT owners! I didn't mean that the TT wasn't worth the price (though I do think it's very expensive) just that I know, Blue, you're on a budget of £not-very-much so I was impressed you remembered that even in the face of how good the TT is! I am afraid I'm not very good at returning stuff; I mean to but then find I can't be bothered - not a very cost-effective way of carrying on, especially in these days of online shopping! :snigger:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Jessica" (Feb 25th 2011, 2:04pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Friday, February 25th 2011, 1:31pm

I guess the decision between the two may be in the legs? The Babydan looks less cumbersome (and more TT like) I suppose?

I completely agree that the TT is overpriced and am astounded by the cost of the plastic babyset. Although we didn't buy for the chair, etc, our table was too high for M to sit at in it when she was smaller. So we ended up buying the playtray (not a Stokke item but made to fit the TT) so she could still use it at that age. The playtray is brilliant but at £50 for a piece of moulded plastic I was only persuaded by the second hand resale value!

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, February 25th 2011, 3:34pm

I thought you'd be really wowed by it

Me too...
It was very nice and extremely solid, easy to put together, and looked smart. And even I could sit on it!
To my surprise, DH liked the TT so much he suggested we get one each.

But it didn't feel right to me. I didn't love it enough for that amount of money.
I've ordered the Hauck (full circle!), mainly because some folks struggled to put the BD together, and I am waaay too tired to struggle.

B
x

My Diary

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, February 25th 2011, 5:44pm

The hauck was very easy to put together. Well, insofar as DH managed it without any swear words.

Hope you like it. I think its very good value and suits us (and my purse!) perfectly.

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, March 6th 2011, 2:48pm

The hauck was indeed very nice and easy to put together! If I didn't know how much it cost, I would have guessed twice the price. Unfortunately for us though, we have a dining table which has a ledge underneath it, and the Hauck doesn't tuck under the table because of this ledge. So unfortunately it is going back.

On Tuesday, two babydans will arrive. Fingers crossed!

B
x

My Diary

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, March 6th 2011, 5:19pm

Hey Blue!

I've just got the girls a couple of babydan's and so far they're loving them! The front bar means it doesn't sit under my dining table like I wanted - but it doesn't need to as the girls sit far enough forward in it to be able to reach perfectly. It's great to see them sitting up straight and eating rather than slouched and slipping trying to reach a tray of food at chin level! It's infinitely better than the horrid plastic things we had before - they've now been freecycled!!

xxx

Moonshine

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, March 6th 2011, 7:22pm

Hi Moonypants, I'm glad you are liking the baby dans. Do you know why you got the plastic chairs first? Because I don't remember (other than I liked the pattern on the plastic). But I regret ever owning them, they are so huge and I am fed up of trying to clean the plastic trays. Sorry, moaning away aren't I.
The lovely TT did tuck under our table, so I'm hoping the baby dan will too...
B
x

My Diary

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, March 6th 2011, 10:14pm

I was given both horrid great clumpy plastic monstrosities for free so I didn't do an awful lot of research into highchairs. I had two different makes both awful. I really don't know how babies can use the trays to eat off!! I mean, my two aren't small and they could hardly reach the trays - I used a baby bowl once with a suction cup and they couldn't reach the food at all!. I didn't bother most of the time and just sat in front of them handing them pieces of finger food or spoonfeeding them, I couldn't bear the trays, getting them on and off and cleaning them. G slouched so much in hers she sat dangling her little leg over the arm and screamed in frustration every time I tried to sit her upright!

However, the babydans were great - I got them from ebay as someone with twins in Cheltenham was selling them so it was a bargain! Had I not have won the auction I'd have gone for the hauck - but was weary of the big bar on those. They seem to be untippable too as G uses hers as a walking aid and slides it across the floor if we don't put it away quick enough!!

Not really sure why we bother with highchairs at all to be honest. Most of the food goes on the floor anyway. The floor these days is cleaner than the table so they may as well eat off that :snigger: We have breakfast on the snack mat on the floor as as soon as they see cheerios they scatter them all over the carpet and spend the next hour scavenging them like monkeys in a zoo!!

Moonshine

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, March 7th 2011, 8:07am

Ooh, snack mat sounds a good idea!
My kitchen floor (and walls) will never recover from what our girls have done to them... I could never have imagined this much mess!
B
x

My Diary

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 10:45am

Babydans are going back and we're getting two tripp trapps...

Having babytested everything, in my humble opinion:

1. Hauck is excellent value for money. It's really nice quality, easy to put together, and the only issue we had was with our dining table (and that issue affects all 3 chairs).
2. BabyDan - looks similar to the TT and comes in different colours and tucks away very neatly under most tables. It was the most tricky to assemble though, but its worth it because you save lots of money.
3. Tripp Trapp - very simple to put together, very simple to adjust, comes in pretty colours. Because we have to make and adjust two chairs, and because every frantic second counts in this household, we are going for these. And not because they look nice and last years and even my huge arse can sit on them!

My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blue" (Mar 9th 2011, 10:46am)

Mr C

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 11:36am

Thats good to know and slightly reassuring given the cost of TTs.
Our Diary

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 12:13pm

It's overpriced in my opinion, I've just shelled out £350 (for two chairs and two baby sets). It's only worth half that, but I'm defeated. I can't think of any more baby purchases we need to make now, thank goodness. We're done!

My Diary

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Tuesday, March 22nd 2011, 10:21pm

We've ordered a pink tripp-trapp, hopefully arriving tomorrow. My sis is obsessed with hers and has worn me down, she's an occupational therapist and is obsessed with posture etc and says these are the best for the baby ............ the fact it came in pink sold it for me :snigger: - only joking! DH actually chose the colour ........ it's to match his pink golf shirt, and I'm not joking about that .............

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, March 22nd 2011, 10:23pm

Hi Lala,
The colours are all lovely, you won't be disappointed!
Our girls are loving the TT, and I'm sure your DD will too!
B
x

My Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE