You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

loop

Ace

• "loop" started this thread

Reg: Nov 9th 2008

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 6:10pm

advice please, worried about bottle to sippy cup/beaker

Hi all, advice needed as i'm getting increasingly confused about how to change LO from having formula in a bottle to her using a sippy cup/cup with spout. LO is 8 months now and is eating reasonably well 3 meals a day, having a bottle straight after each meal 6-7oz and 8oz to go to bed. I'm due back at work in 5 weeks and would really like her to having milk from a sippy cup or spout cup for when she start nursery. She has been having water no probs with her meals and inbetween in a sippy cup for a few weeks now. She has always drained her bottles and i've consciously cut them slowly down from 4x 9oz bottles as she was showing no signs of cutting back herself, which in turn meant she now tends to eat a little more.
Am i being too optimistic as when i have tried to give milk in sippy cup or non spill beaker/bottle she just is not interested and won't touch it ? I am a littl bit of a perfectionist and think i'm worrying over this a bit much really. After her tea today we sat on the floor rather than on the settee for uddle and bottle to try to break pattern of having a bottle this way and i kept offering in sippy cup an spout beaker/cup, she showed no interest whatsoever, but also did not seem to bothered about having formula. After about an hour i felt worried and guilty she may need the milk and ended up giving a 7oz bottle which she drank immediately. Not sure i did the right thing really. Any comments and advice gratefully received
loop x

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 6:43pm

Hi loop

Duffy has recently asked similar questions on this thread and you should find some useful advice there

Cow's milk -v- Growing up milk and bottle to beaker questions!

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 7:24pm

Why are you so desperate for her to have milk from a cup rather than bottle? She is still pretty young and you'll find that other babies her age at nursery are probably still taking milk from a bottle. My little girl is almost 14 mths and still only takes a few sips of milk from a cup during day and has a bottle in morning and at night. I honestly don't care - she is happy and healthy and, in time I am sure, will move over to milk from a cup.

If you are really settled on her takingmilk from a cup then I am sure the nursery will be supportive and help if you haven't managed to make the switch before she goes.

X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Sunday, February 20th 2011, 7:29pm

i was advised not to give formular at all in a beaker because of the bacteria side of things and you cannot clean then as well as you can a teat in a bottle. Yet cows milk was said to be ok but not on that until a year approx. Mine are 20 months now, they gave up milk in the daytime the first week in january so they were19 months, they just have beakers with water and still have a bottle at night time. I think 8 months is quite young to be worrying about giving up the daytime bottles, why are you worried so much??
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

loop

Ace

Monday, February 21st 2011, 7:41pm

thanks for replies. i think i am worrying too much, i do seem to be a worrier sine having LO, just want to do things right as it took so long to get her i just want the best. This is not usually like me, must be the mommy side of me i didn't know existed!!! I think i heard what HV said that LO should be cutting down milk and for me to just cut it and to start using a beaker/sippy for when she goes to nursery. I think in hindsight much too early and i'm happy for LO to cut down when she is ready. I don't suppose you see many 20 year olds still having a bottle!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I di wonder about the sterisation side of things too, alsoi have always made fresh formula as needed and wondered what to do for nursery as they ask for bottles already made up, which i have never done. I could send the cartons which we use if out. What do others do about leaving bottles at nursery?
Thanks for your reassurances, loop x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "loop" (Feb 21st 2011, 7:44pm)

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Monday, February 21st 2011, 8:27pm

Hey loop,

I totally agree with what the others say. I got myself into a right pickle with milk feeds and solid feeds, but 8 months is still so very young. Your LO really will let you know when it's time to cut feeds, you may well see a decrease in appetite for solids. I was convinced my two "needed" their milk, where in actual fact, they were just as happy with a drink of juice and a snack instead, so we cut out the two daytime milk feeds at 9 and 10 months.

At our recent yearly check I got frowned at by the HV for still giving morning and evening milk feeds in a bottle - but they're not interested in it if it's in a cup. I am ignoring this piece of advice and carrying on until I think they're ready to make the transition!

:xxx3:

Moonshine

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 7:59am

for nursery we used to send in cooled boiled water in a sterilized bottle with powder in a separate container. we use the tommee tippee bottles and the powder dispensers that fit in the top if the bottle. I do know of some nurseries that provide all of that so I would check with yours. x

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 8:35am

Will also started nursery at 8 months but only mornings, he would have his bottle in the morning then just water at nursery, we would have another mid afternoon and another before bed, it wasn't until he turned one that he would have a snack in the afternoon but didn't give up his morning/night bottle until 18 months. In the early days, on the few occasions that he stayed for the afternoon, I would give them the formular to make up and he happily had his bottle at nursery.

I would say go with the flow, they tend to give you signals when they are ready to give something up/change something. I think it was Bells that said don't sweat the small stuff :yes:

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 9:00am

At our recent yearly check I got frowned at by the HV for still giving morning and evening milk feeds in a bottle - but they're not interested in it if it's in a cup. I am ignoring this piece of advice and carrying on until I think they're ready to make the transition!

That sounds about right. I haven't seen any HVs since beginning of November (no idea what M weighs now and I don't think we get a yearly check here) but I am sure if I did I too would be frowned at. And I would be blowing a big raspberry in my head during the frowning. Babies are not all the same, HVs are not the law and the only opinion that really counts is mine because I AM HER MOTHER!

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 2:33pm

In relation to the bottle to beaker transition, I fretted and worried, and tried with H, buying bottle to cup trainers, offering milk in a beaker etc...he did take the bottle to cup trainer, but never a beaker, with milk in (though he was always fine with water in a beaker)...and then at around 2 years, he refused to drink milk at all, and we get his milk in via his diet! At 3, he himself has led the way in progressing from beakers/toddler cups, to now drinking from ' grown' up cup, with a straw.

So with L, I did try the milk in a beaker, same response as with H, she wasn't happy. Again, she drinks from a beaker etc happily, with water, throughout the day. So, I'm not worrying this time round, she drinks her milk from a bottle, when she wakes/before bed, in a few mintues, and then has water via a beaker all day, and despite the information about why they should be drinking milk from a beaker, I really don't feel that 2 quick feeds from a bottle is that bad, and I'm guessing she'll probably turn round day, and decide she is too old for a bottle, and wants a beaker, or cup, or something similar! And if not, when/if we feel it becomes a problem we'll tackle it....and I've not seen the HV for ages, wouldn't tell her this (as I probably couldn't bite my tongue, as I listened to a lecture!!!), and I feel what I'm doing, all things considered, is ok x

Reg: Jul 25th 2008

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 9:38pm

Hi loop!
It is lovely to hear how you are getting on, even if you are worrying!
My LO has his milk from a sippy cup during the day but will not take a drink before he goes to bed so wakes up after a couple of hours and is hungry. However recently he is SO tired that he gets upset and struggles to take his milk so i came on here for ideas!

Im still dreading going back to work- want this magic time with me and LO to last forever!

Good luck with it all

Snoops xx

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, 9:50pm

Hello again loop, for me the steriliser disapperaed on their first birthday!!!!!!!!
I hated sterilising and was advised by the HV to continue until they should be a year (born 29 weeks) but when i was watching them both sitting in the garden on their birthday picking the grass and trying to eat it i thought - that is more dirt in that one small handful of grass and mud that they have just put in their mouth then would ever be on a bottle surely - so that was it the sterilising stopped!!!!!
As for formula i never pe made any bottles at all, i would be very suprised if the nursery ask you too as that is not advised nowdays ( i am certainly not at all critising anyone that chooses to do so ) all i mean is that if thats not how you do things then you should be able to continue as you have been.
One last thing is i like you have freted about every stage, giving up sterilising, cutting down milk, changing to solids, changing to beakers etc etc etc, i have fretted just like you................however babies have led me each time without fail, i have fretted for nothing as they have told me when they are ready etc. But i understand totally as now i am fretting about th next stage - terrible twos and potty training twice lol, i think forever there will be worries, and i guess us mums are there to worry xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

• "angels&babies" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Wednesday, February 23rd 2011, 5:44pm

Just to illustrate the other extreme and possibly add some reassurance - my little girl decided herself she was giving up the bottle at a little over 11 months and refused milk from a cup and still does.

I nstead give her porridge morning and evening with her 5-6 ounces of milk in each and have to give her other dairy in her diet through the day.

She is healthy and happy and thriving so we are perfectly happy with that and as Jen says, they are all unique little people. I did worry at the time myself but now I am suitably reassured.

My brother and SIL had a struggle with their twin boys giving up the bottle and were still getting milk from bottles up until they were about 2. They still get up at night for a drink of milk 2-3 times,x

2nd ICSI March 2009 :BFP:
4 Top Grade 1 Frosties in Waiting for next time!
bab21
My Diary

loop

Ace

Saturday, February 26th 2011, 8:49pm

thanks so much all for your reassurances. I'm trying not to worry so much about things and to just go with the flow. LO i'm sure will guide me.
Jensqui, did you send in the cooled boiled water in the bottle to nursery with the powder in the dispenser and do you add the powder to the cooled water and then warm it up by putting it in a jug of hot water? Do you ask them to keep th bottle of water in a fridge? I know i should know the answer to these things really, again just needing reassurances i think and putting some trust in others. We use tommee tippee too so i will look out for the dispensers that fit on top and do this i think as for some reason i think cartons all the time at nursery is not as good as using formula powder - silly theory of mine!!.

Lovely to catch up with you Snoops, hope all is well with you DP and LO. I know what you mean about going to work, part of me is looking forward to some adult time but most o me is dreading leaving LO with others. I know she will be ok but can't help but be nervous. As Sa-Leanne says "us moms are there to worry", must stop it so much though as i'm not usually such a worrier. Snoops did you get any thoughts to your queries, do you have a thread elsewhere?

Thanks again all, the lesson i am learning is to go with LO, she will guide me through, nice thought!! :)
loop x

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Friday, March 18th 2011, 8:13pm

Thanks for all the comments on this thread..my friend asked me about this today as she read that they should be having milk form a sippy cup? My boy is 8 months and still has 5 bottles a day as I am doing BLW so he is not really cutting back on milk just yet. I give him water with his food, but he just wants to chuck the water everywhere if i give him a sippy cup (free flowing) so ive tried a non spill sucky beaker - he won;t have any of that, so i have bought the sft spots for his avent bottles and handles…he thinks this is fun and can suck it but to be honest he is better all round at sipping from a plastic beaker or a doidy cup! I know he can;t do this on his own, but he likes it this way! He even sips water from my water bottle whilst we are out and about!! :snigger: and finds it hilarious while he does it.

Can i ask WHY its advised that they drink milk out of a sippy cup after 6 months? I hadn't even thought about it until today :O

I do agree that they do let us know when they want to 'grow up' and change things though, but also agree that it isn;t always easy not to worry about it all at the time…as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, March 18th 2011, 9:14pm

Greeny I have no idea. It took us ages to get O to drink water from a non drip sippy cup, we tried lots and found that the Tommy Tippee soft spout one is the best for us. Its only in the last few months that she's actually 'got it' however she won't drink milk from it though!

She still has a bottle in the morning and one at night.

For me I've found that I'm actually quite relaxed compared to other friends I have with babies with the eating and the milk and drinking from a cup and now it seems that O is the only one who eats everything, drinks water and has her milk.

So I would say just go with the flow chick.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Monday, March 21st 2011, 9:56am

Flic…thats kind of what i am doing i guess. I have just got some spft spouts for ben's avent bottles which he did suck water out of the other day too, but only a couple of sips and it is more of a game than anything else. When are they meant to feed themselves, as in hold the bottle or cup? I'm sure Ben will let me know when HE wants to do it though :snigger: they tend to do that don;t they?!!

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE