You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Elisa" started this thread

Reg: Apr 9th 2009

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 5:38pm

Help, should I start weaning?

Hi, another confused mummy here.

My DS is a week shy of turning 5 months. For the past couple of weeks he has been night waking and wanting food. He is satisfied after his normal feeds (at least judging by the look on his face when he comes off the boob), but wakes like clockwork every 3 hours once he has gone to bed. He was taking a bottle of expressed milk at 1am but is now refusing the bottle & demanding 'fresh mummy'. I am now getting frazzled as it seems like ages since I had a decent sleep. (He had a cold before the waking started.) So now I no longer know if (a) this is just the 4 month growth spurt & it will pass (b) he is playing us & waking pretending to be hungry just to get a mummy cuddle (c) breast milk is no longer enough & I should start weaning.

The one thing I am not prepared to do (and health visitor agrees) is to start giving him formula. As I have Crohn's disease I was hoping to hold off weaning until DS was at least 5.5months and don't want to introduce formula as breast is advised for babies of mums in my situation. What do you think? Should I give baby rice a try?
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP
FET Jan 10 :BFP:
bab11 Alexander James 17/10/10

2nd FET Feb 13 :BFN:

My Trying Again Diary

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 5:40pm

What weight is he now?
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 7:14pm

Hi Elisa

My two are 5 months old now so a week older than Xander. I started them on solids a couple of weeks ago and they absolutely love it. They were also waking more in the night, demanding more milk, getting fussy on the boob. I decided to just go for it with the weaning and am really glad that I did. Also talking to the other Mums from my NCT group they all started before 6 months. We are just on baby porridge with pureed apple or pear in the morning and then pureed sweet potato, butternut squash or carrot in the afternoon. It is quite nice as we are taking it slowly with introducing new tastes and will wait until 6 months before we try finger food.

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 7:35pm

26 weeks is the 'official' guideline. How many weeks is he now? Apologies, my tired brain couldn't work that out.....

Although 26 weeks is the advised age to start weaning, it would be pretty unrealistic to think that all babies are exactly the same and will all want to be weaned EXACTLY 26 weeks to the day after their birth.

I didn't make 26 weeks with either of my children, one on the advice of her consultant (long story!) and the other because I felt she was ready and that 2/3 weeks wasn't going to make a huge deal of difference so I started weaning her at about 23 weeks I think.

It's a personal choice, probably worth discussing with your HV, and as long as you're aware of the official guidelines then I think you can make the best decision for your little one, as you know him best.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

• "angels&babies" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 7:53pm

Only you can decide this yourself knowing your little boy as you do.

A slept from 12am to 5am from 3 weeks old and lengthened this as she got older and so when she started waking for night feeds again at 4 months old I wondered myself if she might be nearly ready.

I waited and watched for about 2-3 weeks and by then, the waking was EVERY night and even through the day, she was draining her bottles and looking for more.

As others have said, each baby will vary on when they signal to start weaning.

Because we were earlier than the 6 months, we stuck to baby porridge, pureed simple single fruit and veg like pear, apple, carrot and gradually introduced more as we went along and after 6 months.

After starting a small amount of solids, A seemed alot more satisfied and seemed alot more settled,x

2nd ICSI March 2009 :BFP:
4 Top Grade 1 Frosties in Waiting for next time!
bab21
My Diary

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:15pm

How strange, I logged on tonight to start a thread exactly like the title of this....!

I think the big thing here is that you are worried about introducing solids to Xander too early as you don't want him to suffer Crohns too, is that right??

Now, I'm no breast feeding expert as unfortunately for me I couldn't manage it, but are you eating enough yourself?? Do you think maybe increasing your calorie intake a little might help to make your milk more satisfying? I know that my HV team say that many mums introduce formula thinking it might make their baby sleep longer, when in actual fact it shouldn't make the slightest difference, so you're right that you don't need to do that.

Also, about 3 weeks ago my LO suddenly needed to up his feeds. He is a few weeks older than your DS so it may just be that age and he is feeding more regularly in order to increase your supply!?

I appreciate that actually nothing I have said really helps does it!? It is so hard when you aren't getting much sleep, I do feel for you as I'm in exactly the same boat! :rolleyes:

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:01pm

Hiya

I've just started weaning Meg at 5 and a bit months but all my baby group friends started much earlier - most at 4 months. I give her baby fruity porridge as I tried baby rice and it was disgusting and she didn't like it either, the faces she pulled were hilarious. One thing to remember though is that to start with they don't actually eat much so it may take a few weeks for him to stop waking in the night.

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:40pm

We found 4 months a very unsettling time. Martha's sleeping became very erratic and for about 3 weeks her feeding was all over the place. She wouldn't reliably take a bottle until she was10 months and never in the night! So I know how tired you must be as I did every night myself for months and months! I didn't wean until 6 months and personally I am.glad I waited as by then I could try her with anything. Go with your instincts but one thing I will say is that what seems like a nightmare now soon becomes a distant memory x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

• "Elisa" started this thread

Reg: Apr 9th 2009

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 11:09am

Thanks for all the replies.

Xander will be 21 weeks on Sunday and 5 calendar months on 17th March. Took him to be weighed this morning and he is now 16lbs 13oz. He's gaining about 4 oz a week and keeping stable in the 73rd centile. Had another chat to the HV while I was there. Owing to the Crohn's issue, at the moment am thinking that will try to hold off until next week when he turns 5 months and then try the baby rice. Life is now going to start getting messy!!!
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP
FET Jan 10 :BFP:
bab11 Alexander James 17/10/10

2nd FET Feb 13 :BFN:

My Trying Again Diary

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE