You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "simmmo19" started this thread

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:32pm

To wean or not to wean!?!

DS is a couple of days off 23 weeks and until now I have been set on doing BLW once he reaches 6 months.

BUT, I'm having a wobble and beginning to wonder if it is a good idea.......

He takes 4 x 7oz bottles of formula a day - 7.30am, 11.30am, 3.30pm and 6.30/7pm. He's a dream to put to bed, but he still wakes at 3am for a feed, when he will drain another 7oz bottle. Tonight he wouldn't settle and was blatantly still hungry so I offered him more and he took another 3oz!! I'm desperate for a full night's sleep and was planning to up his daytime bottles to 8oz tomorrow to see if he will take any more and then to try and wean him off the 3am feed next week.

However, if I do go ahead with BLW then am I right in thinking that he won't actually consume much in the way of 'real food' til at least 7/8mths?? Will I ruin my BLW plans if I cave in to pressure and give him baby rice during the day now??

All thoughts appreciated....

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 8:58pm

Hi there

Like you I was set on waiting until 26 weeks to start weaning Meg but I started on Sunday when she was just over 23 weeks. However, I'm not doing BLW as the thought of that was a bit scary for me. Anyway, it just got to the stage where I'm not producing enough milk for her anymore and she's hungry, really hungry. I think only you can decide when to start but why don't you just give it a go and see?

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:06pm

Hi Claire

You won't ruin your BLW plans if you decide to give some baby rice now and I know a lot of people who have done traditional puree/mush weaning alongside the finger food weaning of BLW. But if you wanted to be a BLW 'purist' you would wait until 6 months and wouldn't offer the rice. In terms of the amount he will eat, yes it will take a few months to get into the swing of things but this tends to be the same whether you are doing BLW or not. I think it is perhaps more obvious with BLW when they are not eating though as there is an awful lot of mess!

As far as I know there isn't actual any real evidence that giving solids helps babies sleep through any better - especially as the type of 'solids' you have to give before 6 months are far less calorific than milk. I think your idea to up the daytime feed amounts and try and wean him off the night feeds (which are likely to becoming a habit now rather than being really about hunger) is definately worth trying before going down the weaning option. And then if that doesn't seem to have an effect then you can go down the weaning route.

Hope that helps a little.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 9:52pm

I say go with your instinct but I doubt that solids at any stage in any form will be a magic answer to more prolonged sleep. Sometimes that just depends on the baby! X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 7:56am

Thanks ladies

I think I'm just having a little confidence blip - all the mummies at my baby group have either started traditional weaning, some as early at 4 months, or intend to do puree.... I only know one other mummy that plans to do BLW but she's 3 months away yet! I guess at 4am anything seems like a good idea just to get some more sleep!

Last night DH was late home so decided to offer LO a dream feed, as he knows it gets me an extra hour, and he took 5.5oz! DS woke at 4am as expected but I just settled him back to sleep and he went til 5am. A bit more settling and he was doing well until the blimmin car alarm went off at 5.45am so that was us up for the day! I fed him another 7oz at 6am but will be upping the rest of his feeds to 8oz today and persevering to see if I can get him to take more.

I'm wondering if this could be down to a growth spurt?? ?(

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 10:12am

Hiya Claire,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm the only one out of everyone I know who has followed BLW. They all started weaning before 6 months and were trying to make me give O something and I refused and I'm soooooo pleased I did.

Early weaning doesn't help with sleeping through the night. My friend weaned at 4 months and now at nearly 18 months he still wakes up during the night.

The more feeding could be down to a growth spurt. My LO fed loads towards the 6 month mark.

I found that O caught on to eating quite quickly. She liked to bite and chew and moving it around in her mouth. By about 7 or 8 months she was eating well.

If the dream feed gets you an extra hour I'd go with it.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 10:17am

Dream feed worked for us and I may start doing it again as I have been up at 4 am the last 2 nights!!!

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Reg: Apr 9th 2009

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 11:14am

HI Claire,

How much does Alfie weigh as my HV has just asked that when I spoke to her about Xander?

When we went to weaning group they said that alot of people combine BLW with purees, especially if they are starting a little early (i.e. before 6 months). I am hoping to combine the two, although leave the BLW until Xander is 6 months.

It's all really confusing, isn't it? I know they say we mums know our babies best, but it still doesn't help avoid all the doubt and questions.
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP
FET Jan 10 :BFP:
bab11 Alexander James 17/10/10

2nd FET Feb 13 :BFN:

My Trying Again Diary

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 11:33am

Alfie was 15lb 10oz last week, just above the 25th centile line.

Dh is now saying he wants me to go down puree route - he doesn't understand BLW and to be honest I don't have a strong enough reason as to why I want to do BLW and why I think it makes sense.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 11:51am

I think that people see BLW as some new, magical way of weaning a baby. It isn't, it is just a new term for an old process of putting food in front of a baby and seeing what they do with them. You don't have to choose to do purees or BLW. You can just choose to present your baby with food in a lot of different ways, some pureed that you feed them with a spoon, some in small pieces that they can pick up themselves.

The real thing I think to choose is whether or not you wait until 6 months. If you do then you don't have to be so strict about what food you give them (pureed or otherwise).

My own experience of weaning is that waiting until she was 6 months old was easier as I'm not the fastidious kind and can't be bothered to check everything or buy special food for her but would rather give her a variation of what we were eating. As it happened she won;t touch baby jars anyway. Despite presenting her mainly with pieces of food from 6 months (so called BLW) rather than purees it hasn't made her into a magical eater who will try anything - she's still as fussy as I was at her age having been traditionally weaned on purees! So don;t spend ages agonising over this and then looking back thining 'if only I had done it differently' as how well they eat and what they eat will depend on many factors, some beyond your control e.g. illnesses and teething at particular times. Do what you feel comfortable with and don;t feel you have to stick to a 'regime'. If you choose to start with purees and then, one day, happen to be eating a piece of toast in front of your baby and they make a grab for it, you'll probably let them try it. Conversely you may want to always give them the same food that you are eating (excepting some foods like honey until they are 1, etc) but if you are out it might be more convenient to take a jar of food or you'd prefer to puree some other foods as you find that e.g. apples are too much for your gummy angel unless stewed and mashed.

Don;t stress too much!!! xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 12:34pm

My DH wasn't happy about it but a few weeks ago he actually said he's sooooo pleased that I stuck to my guns because its soooooo much easier. He thought it was going to be difficult and thought that she wouldn't learn how to eat so I'm sooooo chuffed I've proved him wrong!

I convinced him that I wanted to do it because I am terrible in the kitchen and pureeing just isn't for me at all. I told him we'd save money and that they learn how to chew before they learn how to swallow. She ate exactly the same foods as we did. I'd just put it on her tray and let her have a bit of a play and put it in her mouth and stuff. Now she can wolf down a sandwich before I've had chance to make mine!!

I couldn't BF so I was pretty determined to do this!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 8:51pm

I've made DH read this thread so he understands a bit more. I think he thought once DS started solids, he'd immediately be eating 3 meals a day.... men eh, haven't a clue!! :rolleyes:

Jensqui, you put it brilliantly..... why am I stressing about following a certain 'way'? I really felt that I had to decide one way or the other - BLW or puree - but actually reading what you and Flic have said, I'm already much more relaxed. I've spoken to my 'pro BLW' friend and also my mum (who is incredibly supportive of me doing whatever I feel is right) and have now remembered why I wanted to wait til 6 months in the first place. I've come this far, 3 more weeks isn't going to kill me. Its not that I can't cook... I'm very good in the kitchen... I just can't bear faffing, and I'd much rather start knowing I can give DS a big variety of 'normal' foods, rather than have to keep consulting a 'meal planner' from one of the various books I've acquired.

So... I'll be spending the next few weeks trying to break the night feed habit and I'm sure before I know it it'll be 1st April and I'll be having a slice of banana and some toast for brekkie, whilst trying to prise Alfie's from his ears!! :snigger: I'm sure the dog will think it's Christmas!

Thanks for the replies ladies x

Reg: Jul 26th 2007

Children: Yes please!

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 9:09pm

weaning

Hello just thought I would add , my little boy is 18 weeks old . He was still waking through the night at 14 weeks so I decided to change his milk to 'hungrier baby milk'. He then started sleeping right through. Then a week ago he started to wake again , I am now weaning him with baby rice x2 a day plus his milks. And he seems to be doing good again. Think it depends on the individual babys needs!! xx
TTC 2002.
1st icsi BFP 4th Dec 07.Twins! Miscarried!
2nd icsi BFN July 08
3rd icsi BFN Dec 08
4th FET BFN Aug 09
5th icsi BFPJan 2010
http://lb1m.lilypie.com/Ya1o.png

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 3:15pm

Hiya

I am another BLW person! I started Ben on toast and butter at 5 and a hlaf months, as he was just soooooo interested in it. I also worried that it might make a difference 2 weeks earlier, but having then been to a blw talk the lady said a window of 5 and a half months- 7 months tends to be when babies are really ready for food and their system is ready to digest solids more.

At first Ben just put it in his mouth and sucked and then spat it out, then mainly wacked it around the highchair tray and played with it! There have also been days where he just hasn't been interested and i have just followed his lead. About a month ago ( when he was 7 months) i got a bit freaked out and thought, agghh is he ever go to eat, what if he never eats ( silly i know! :O) etc so i made some mashed foods with lumps in adn bought a couple of different mashed foods, like Ellas and Plum…and he was not having any of that!!! He didn;t like it, didn;t want to be fed, wanted to feed himself and he plain refused it. So i went back to blw and relaxed and in the last couple of weeks ( he is now 8 months) he has just GOT IT!!! He is now eating meatballs, fishcakes, tuna pasta, houmous and rice cakes and yday we all had toad in the hole!!

So i would say, if you want to do blw, i would recommend it. The blw talk i went to, said that starting solids in any form doesn;t make them sleep more…and one of my friends baby started sleeping less and waking up more!

You could try Hungry milk…my 8 month old only just stopped his one night feed at 11pm/12pm a month ago, but i do know other babies that have been sleeping through at your babys age. We saw a sleep consultant and she said we had to wean Ben off his night feed and this was setting up his waking for the rest of the night and also making him uncomofrtable. I have to say he stopped waking for a feed within a few nights of stopping. So, you could try that, or the dream feed and then not for the rest of the night?

Also you could try feeding 3 hourly rather than 4 hourly…people suggested this to me - and i still feed 3 hourly, but Ben just adjusted the amount he drank when he changed from 3 hourly-4 hourly. The sleep ladyt said that once they are about 15lbs a good weight they don;t need feeding at night!!

Wish you lots of luck hun

blowkiss

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Sunday, March 13th 2011, 7:59pm

Thanks for stopping by BGE. Glad to hear Ben is now eating really well.... this is why I want to do BLW - I want to make proper food for him and not have to whizz it all up into an unrecogniseable mush in order for him to have it! I know I'll meet with resistance when he doesn't eat his food for the first month or so... I'll have to remind myself to come back in here to be reassured that he'll get it eventually.... I've already had it in the ear from MIL, who just doesn't get it!

As for the sleeping, I know solids won't magically make him sleep through, I guess I was just desperately clutching at straws in my sleep deprived state. I've now upped his daytime feeds to 8oz, which he doesn't always finish but he's taking minimum 7oz and occasionally he'll take the full 8oz so we're getting there. I've also completely stopped the night feed and I've decided not to continue with the dream feed either. I've only been doing it 2 nights but so far it's been bearable. Last night he went down at 7.15pm after a full 8oz, woke at 3am, 4.30am & 5.30am but each time I was able to quieten him to sleep within a few minutes. He then slept til 7am when I woke him up for the day. His feeds are now supposed to be 7am, 11am, 3pm, a small 4oz 'cluster' feed at 5pm then a full feed before bed at 7pm. I'm hoping that once he realises he won't be getting any food in the night, his wakings will lessen and eventually he'll get it! xfingers

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE