You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

deedee1

• "deedee1" started this thread

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Monday, March 28th 2011, 6:09pm

How do I eliminate the middle of the night feed?

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice from the experienced!.

Deelet is 11 weeks old and I want to start getting her to sleep longer at night. Currently her daily routine is: Wake 7.30am feed, sleep 9-10, then bath, 10:30 feed. We go out then until about 1pm and she sleeps in the buggy for about 1-2 hours. Feed at 1.30pm and she plays/looks around for an hour or so then another nap followed by more play. 5:00 feed and a nap. Then at 7:30 I start the bedtime routine of bringing her upstairs, putting on her sleep clothes (no bath as that wakes her up...). Feed at about 8pm and she settles easily and is asleep by about 8:15. I then wake her at 11.30-12 for her dream feed. She wakes herself at 3.30-4 crying and I feed her.

This is the one I want to eliminate. When I was bfing she was gradually going longer - from every 3 hours to 4 to 5 and 2 weeks ago she was going from 11.30 to 5.30. I have been weaning onto bottles for the past 2 weeks and since then she has been going back to 4 hours. She takes about 4oz per feed except the middle of the night one when she only takes about 2-3oz and the early morning one, about the same.

Any advice on how to extend time between nighttime feeds? I seem to be going backways at the moment!.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, March 28th 2011, 6:17pm

Didn't want to just read and run but I am afraid that I can't help at all as C continued middle of the night feeds till he was over 2 years old... lol

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Reg: Oct 31st 2010

Children: 1 gorgeous son conceived naturally

Monday, March 28th 2011, 6:24pm

hi,
I started dropping the night feed at 5 months when i knew for sure he wasn't hungry as he was almost weaned food wise by then - i have a very hungry baby! i changed the milk to cool boiled water and he took that like a feed at first but gradually over about 2 weeks he stopped waking for it. this was 4 years ago though so the other advice you get may be different to mine!

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Monday, March 28th 2011, 6:58pm

Hiya

George was 12 weeks when he dropped the 2/3am feed. I like you did a dream feed and just settled him down when he woke sounds cruel but he wasnt having much of a feed at 7am so I knew he must still be full from the 3am feed. Its not for everyone though. Maybe try weaning her of it slowly so you drop to 1 then water or something. Someone else will probably have a better answer. Good luck! xx

deedee1

Monday, March 28th 2011, 7:13pm

I tried the water one night and she took it great only to wake again 30 mins later looking for food so I was up twice!!

She is hungry I think even though she takes only 2-3 oz and the same at 7am. My friend said she could be reducing the time between feeds as Aptamil is light and could be lighter than breast milk?

I forgot to add that she was a small baby, only 5lb 13 when born. Through exclusively bfing she was up to over 9 1/2lb at 8 weeks. Haven't had her weighed since but going by her clothes she's well over 11lb now.

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Monday, March 28th 2011, 7:23pm

Don't know how much help this is, but I have one sleeping 7-7 now and the other still waking for a feed.. I follow a fairly set routine and increased the milk when they started draining their bottles.. now on 6oz and just about to go to 7oz for little boy who is the one who is still waking.. he feeds at 6.30pm, bed at 7pm.. wakes between 1-2am and then sleeps again till we wake him at 7am.. he obviously just isn't ready to do it yet, so we continue with just his night feed. I've done exactly the same thing with both and have completely different nighttimes!

He's just hit 11lb, whereas little girl is still trying to get over 10lb!

It will happen my lovely pg twin.. gorgeous pic btw on fb.. xxx

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Monday, March 28th 2011, 7:25pm

Sorry just to add, one thing that did seem to make a difference with mine was stretching the feeds to 4 hours.. we went back to 2 hourly feeds at one point and it was a bit mad.. only way I could with two was to use a dummy and it was painful.. but getting to a 7 - 11 -3 - 6.30 feeding schedule seemed to make the difference with little girls sleeping..

blowkiss

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Monday, March 28th 2011, 8:17pm

Hi

All babies are different s it is hard to say what to do, but Ben was definitely feeding through the night until he was 6 months old! I was advised my a sleep consultant to drop the last feed at night by gradually (every few days) diluting the formula powder..so if Deelet is taking 3oz, add, 2 and a half scoops, then a few nights later, add, 2 scoops, then, a few days later 1 and a half scoops…until its gets very watery…you can just stop. When we stopped Ben's night feed he woke and we had to settle him with some crying in his cot which was hard, but within a few nights he didn't wake for it.

Having said all this, i think 12 weeks old is quite young to drop a night feed if she is hungry. They go through several real growth spurts up until about 6 months and she may well need that feed in the night. You seem to have a great routine int he day..we didn't have much of routine at that age, so perhaps Deelet might respond better to sleeping through the night than Ben did…he is only just starting to now (at 8 months) and not every night at all!!

How much does she drink in the day at each feed? I was advised to up each feed or feed more frequently, but when i tried, ben just adjusted how much he ate and ate the same amount over the 24 hours!

Good luck hun..sleep will come eventually! I'm still waiting :snigger:

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, March 28th 2011, 8:27pm

I agree with BGE - I think 11/12 weeks is very young to be dropping a night feed as at this age it is likely to be hunger, not habit. Could you instead think about trying to drop the dream feed? You will probably find that she will still wake at some point in the night but you may be able to get a few more hours sleep in before midnight.

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, March 28th 2011, 8:33pm

Hiya,

If I remember rightly they have a growth spurt around 12 weeks.

What we did was just fed on demand. Everytime we woke up we fed her. We never did a dream feed as I didn't want to wake her up.

Have you tried to just drop the dream feed? If she's sleeping through until later it may be that she'll take more and then sleep through until morning. Does that make sense? The dream feed may just be topping her up when she doesn't really 'need' it. And then this later feed that she's waking up for herself she may realise that she's still hungry and take more meaning she'll sleep longer.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

deedee1

Monday, March 28th 2011, 10:33pm

Thanks girls. I know it's early to br dropping a feed but I seem to be going backwards as opposed to forwards.

I considered dropping the dream feed and letting her sleep until she's hungry but I was afraid that she would then wake at 1 and then 5. In any case, I'm normally still awake at 11.30 so it's no hardship to give her that feed.

I'll try diluting her formula - I was kinda doing that anyway, giving her 4 spoons instead of 5.

It isn't too bad. The 8 o click feed takes only about half hour between change, feed and waiting in the bedroom while she falls asleep. Both midnight and night feed are about 10 mins each. Sometimes though I find it hard to settle back to sleep - too much caffeine racing round my system after drinking bucketloads to keep me alert during the day!!

Ps- just as I type, my little princess is ripping away beside me. Did anyone notice that when moved to formula their babies farted like an old man?? They smell pretty noxious too(-;

deedee1

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 8:17am

Well after all that, deelet went from 11.30 until 5am this morning!! Did nothing different, she took the same amount, everything, just slept 2 hours longer...

I don't know, maybe the advice my mum told me is true. She said "dee, shell take after you and do exactly what she wants to do, not what you want her to"!!

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 8:22am

They will do what they need to so it is difficult but I bet you feel so much better. George only dropped the middle of the night when he was only having 1 and then falling asleep before sleeping until 6 and having half a feed and then he was hungry then so it started slidding backwards for us too. Maybe shes having a growth spurt.

Oh and yes formula wind is not nice, when G was breast feed he had no problems but then he was soo loud once Id changed him to formula. x

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:11am

Well done Deelet for last nights good sleeping :D

Just had another memory of the sleep lady saying that once they get to 15lbs or a bit more they can usually go through the night without a feed. But every baby is different and i would say just go with what Deelet seems to need at this young age. She'll get there!

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE