You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JENSQUI

• "JENSQUI" started this thread

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:05am

pushchair wars!

Is anyone else having trouble with a baby who no longer wants to go in a pushchair? Martha is almost 15 months now(must update that ticker photo as she looks nothing like that now!). She's been walking for a while but has been happy so far to still spend a lot of time in the pushchair which is good as we spend a lot of time out and about. In the last 2 or 3 weeks she's decided that she doesn't like being in there any more though. That's fine for a little while but she can't walk very far yet and still stumbles a lot on rough, uneven ground. She's far too heavy for me to carry about nowadays (even in the backpack) so I can see this becoming a nightmare. I thought we might have a little while longer until the public trantrums started in earnest (we have a few at home when she's not allowed to do something) but yesterday at the zoo she got herself into a right state a few times (zoo here very hilly so I had no choice but to keep putting her in and taking her out of pushchair as couldn't manage by myself otherwise).

How do you best manage the puschair/walking balance? And how do you get them to go into it??
Any advice much appreciated!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 2:13pm

Hi Jen,

I have the same problem, J wants to walk everywhere but the last time I took him to town and let him trundle round under his own motor I spent 20 minutes in a shop doorway while he examined the door lock and refused to move, eventually I had to put him in the push chair to much tantruming. I find that if he's got lots of toys that he doesnt' usually have (i.e. they are only for pushchair use so that he doesn't get to used to them) attached to his pushchair they will distract him for a while and I try to plan breaks so that I can let him out to run about a bit every now and then - like if I'm out for too long I'll let him out in a coffee shop while I have some cake so that he can get rid of some energy before putting him back in. I also have lots of snacks on hand which also often stop the tantrums as it distracts him for a while.

1st IVF/ICSI April 09 BFP

GRACE'S DIARY

JENSQUI

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 2:26pm

ooh, the toys are a good idea Grace! Yesterday I found that the only way to get her in (she's pretty fast at getting halfway out before I have one arm strapped in) was to bribe her with a rice cake but I'd rather not use snacks in that way :snigger:

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 7:23pm

We are going through similar with Lily. She is 19 months. We went to Center Parcs, and she had quite a few tantrums, as she was adamant she didn't want to go in the buggy! She walks well, but then tries to run, and as a result has a grazed knee, from a few falls! But, she didn't seem bothered! She just wanted to get up and run again!!...We have a buggy board which Harry dosen't need anymore, so I put her on that a few times, and she liked that....but I will put my hands up and say that when I really wanted her in the buggy I did resort to snacks as a bribe! I remember the first time I did similar with Harry, and posting something on here, about it, and I remember a reply that said sometimes you have to pick your battles, and that stuck with me, and if offering a healthy snack allows them to sit happily in their buggy, you to get to where you need, and means a calmer outing for everyone, I don't worry too much....I always take a healthy snack with me, it has helped many a time!

Kitty

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:16pm

We haven't got to this stage yet, thankfully. However I was thinking about your post whilst at the playground and a neighbour turned up with their little girl on this sort of a thing:

http://www.elc.co.uk/Smart-Trike---Green…default,pd.html (*** Not endorsed by FZ ***)

She was 2 in November so quite a bit older than Martha however you can get them that are suitable from quite early on, I think.

I haven't got one of these myself and don't have any experience of them but thought Martha might enjoy being in one more than her pushchair? I guess it might feel like they have more control than when they've been put in a pushchair? My neighbour said her little girl wasn't keen on her buggy anymore but really liked going out on her trike.

... Just a thought!

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:30pm

I have a hipseat which was a lifesaver when my DS decided at about the same age that he did not want to sit in his pushchair. Mine is a 'Hippychick' one which I got on ebay. It goes around your waist (don't be fooled by the name!! lol) and takes the weight of the child so that you dont end up with a killer backache and it also makes you stand up straight. You can also get extenders if it doesn't go around you. I was a size 18/20 when using it and didn't need it, but my sister was the same size and did. She is shorter than me and carries her weight on her tummy whereas mine is on my bum! lol (p.s. pleased to say i've lost weight since having DS lol)

JENSQUI

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 9:34am

funnily enough I was looking at the Hippychick hipseat in tescos the other day as they are on offer. Wondered if they were actually any good so might get one now you have said it was useful! I'm having my gallbladder taken out tomorrow so carrying her about is going to be a bit more sore for a few weeks as well. I'm a 12-14 so should hopefully be okay without the extension though my waist is probably the largest part of me!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 3:44pm

just looked at the offer price and that seems a bargain!! if i didnt already have one id buy it lol.

you defo will be able to get it around you. it goes under your ribs but above your hips. you'll even be able to just support martha with one hand when shes on it. problemo solved!! lol

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 5:43pm

Our Smart Trike is a godsend!! I can't remember the last time I managed to get Thomas into the buggy without a battle but he's pretty good at getting into the trike. They're completely strapped in and he can now reach the pedals so is learning to make them go round. There are still times when he'd rather run and I tend to need to lure him back with raisins but in general it has made life a lot lot easier. We got the red one from Argos as his bday pressie from grandparents.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, April 8th 2011, 9:34pm

funnily enough I was looking at the Hippychick hipseat in tescos the other day as they are on offer

Hi Jen, can't really help you with the pushchair quezzy, mine are still happy-ish in theirs but as they can't walk there's little else I can do! however, i do have a hippychick hip seat which I got off ebay just this week. Someone told me Tescos had them on offer for £25 - I got mine (listed as barely used and does look brand new to me) for £16. They are always on ebay and I would recommend (though perhaps after you've healed a bit!)

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Sunday, April 10th 2011, 1:10am

I got a hippychick on Gumtree a while ago when I began to feel Lily a bit heavy to carry up and down stairs in Fi's house when going out. It looked brand new, and cost £12 - bargain! Haven't used it much lately as she gets up and down stairs under her own steam. Getting her into the pushchair when she doesn't want to go in usually resolved by offering distractions (toy, book, carrot stick) She has a Smart trike too, though I haven't used it yet, Fi had her in it when they were away on holiday this week and she seemed to like it.

JENSQUI

Tuesday, April 12th 2011, 9:30am

Well, I got the hippychick seat for £20 from Tesco. Tried it out the morning before I went in for my op and M just screamed and refused to plonk bum on the seat part.....it was the babasling fiasco all over again!!
I am still recovering from op and so can't wear it at the moment as waist strap rubs against one of my scars....but will see if I can get her to like it. M got a smart trike for Xmas and absolutely adores it, I would totally recommend it. Is fantastic for shorter outings but doesn't really solve my problem for longer outings (of which there are many now the sun is shining!) of a few hours/whole day when we are likely to hit snooze time at some point and so need pushchair (and pushchair good for carrying picnic rug, etc).

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 2:44pm

Great to see all these thumbs up for Smart Tike - I have just ordered them for C&I's first birthday present.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 29th 2007

Children: Thanks to IVF a beautiful little boy

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 5:01pm

I have found our Smart Trike a god send, when my DS no longer wants to be in his pushchair he manages to get his arms out of the srtaps, it matter how tight I do them he still gets his arms free.
TTC since 2004
2008 started IVF Dec 2008 :BFP:
11/09/09 bab22

TTC naturaly since

26/02/2011 :BFP: Sadly ended at 11 weeks

17/09/2011 :BFP: Sadly ended at 6 weeks

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 8:59am

Jen, I read this and thought of you ikat bag: How To Buy Fabric With Small Children the link is not FZ endorsed of course but there are lots of lovely free children's clothes patterns on there if you like that kind of thing. Also, I can usually induce angelic behaviour in DD1 if I threaten to not let her listen to the Cbeebies CD once we get in the car. DD2 is a bit young to understand that yet but it will come soon enough.