You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 11:41am

pre-school

Hi - just need a bit of advice on pre school. I've been told that I need to apply this october for L to start the following year. The only problem is I work 3 days a week and L is in nursery care twice a week - i would love her to go to pre school but the hours just wouldnt suit as we drop her off at nursery at 7:30 and pick her up at 5:30. I was wondering if there was a possibility she would be able to go 2 or 3 times a week? i.e her grandparents would drop her off and pick her up on a monday while im in work and maybe on a thursday and friday (I really dont want to be without her all week but at the same time I dont want her to miss out or be behind the other children). What are peoples thoughts on pre-school? Do you send your child all week? and what hrs are they? sorry - i've just got no idea :)
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 11:46am

sorry forgot to add that DP and I are going to be ttc from January - if I were to get pregnant in the first few months then i would start maternity leave sometime between sept and Jan. Could I apply for a place and just start her later after term starts i.e when im on maternity leave and available to drop her off and pick her up ?
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 8:08pm

Hi,

Children currently qualify for 15 hours pre-school grant, from the term after they are 3. This can be used in a pre-school, or towards the cost of a nursery place (they usually charge more per hour than pre-schools, therefore the grant doesn't always cover as many hours as at pre-school, if that makes sense!).

My son attends pre-school, and is loving it. However, I also have friends who have/will be keeping their children in their current nurseries, until they start school, some because of childcare, some because the children are settled there. Some do a mix of both, especially if the pre-school is attached to the school their child may attend. Nurseries have different rooms for each age group, so your daughter will move up to pre-school type room, and in this sense, the things they will be doing should, in theory, be comparable with a pre-school, in that they are with children of a similar age etc.

Just being with other children, developing social skills, as well as the other things they do at nursery/pre-school, are a good foundation for school.

I've looked at reception class websites, and they like children to come in being able to dress/undress, recognise their name, toilet by themselves (although alot of 4 year olds will may still need a bit of help with wiping themselves), and think there were a couple of other things. 1342

Nursery and pre-school can be both good choices for pre-school children.

Depending on the pre-school, some will allow you to start later in the term, some not, my son's fills up completely from the Sept, so a few sessions/places may come up, but they don't generally have different intakes through the year, though I know of other pre-schools that do.

And just for info, my son'd pre-school opens 9-4.

HTH x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "compley" (Jun 2nd 2011, 8:11pm)