You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Moonshine" started this thread

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 9:21pm

Safety Catches

Hi all,

I am just wondering whether anyone knows of a device to prevent doors opening? G is now so tall she can open the glass paned porch door - which is causing all sorts of problems, particularly as my two seem to use it as a weapon of twin destruction...or try to escape with Mr Tesco's Man when he delivers our shopping...

I would normally ride it out, but I'm going to be registering as a childminder soon so would really like to solve the issue before Ofsted come to visit. I can find plenty of things to stop doors closing - but none to keep them closed so it can still be opened from both sides.

Thanks in advance bigrrin2

Moonshine

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 9:31pm

OMG, you're gonna child mind!!! You are crazy!!! I've seen how much work my MIL does!

I'll ask my FIL where their catches are from. They've got an assortment of differed ones for different things, fridges, cupboards etc. Will find out.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 9:45pm

Thanks Flic!

I'm not that crazy by the way - I'm doing it to look after a friends baby for 3 mornings a week and any other ad hoc locum hours. Also mind my neighbours two after school for an hour a few days a week. My two are WAYYYYY plenty most days :snigger:

However, red tape a beaurocracy state that I must be Insured/Ofsted inspected/Environmental Health registered and trained in paediatric 1st aid...so after I've shelled out a few hundred quid for the privelage it'll take me a few years to earn it back :rolleyes:

Moonshine

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 9:49pm

Yup. My MIL has to keep detailed records and make sure they're working towards foundation stuff. I think she only earns about 10k per year which is terrible for all the work she has to do.

Nightmare.

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, June 7th 2011, 7:48pm

Hiya!!

Spoken to MIL who said that to satisfy OFSTED you have to have these safety catches on all fire doors (so her front door and her back door) Door Bar Restrictor (Brass): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools (not fz endorsed) They have to be high up so that the children can't reach them but you can't have a chain because they have to be quick release in the event of a fire.

You can get them that attach to different doors but this is an example of the sort you need.

Also the doors have to be unlocked at all times with the catch on.

Hope this has been of some use.

Tuesday, June 7th 2011, 10:51pm

Thanks Flic that's brilliant!!

xxx

Moonshine

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Saturday, July 2nd 2011, 11:14pm

OR - do what my SIL did and turn your door handles so they turn upwards to open. Does that make sense?? she just unscrewd the panel, swapped the inside around and it make the handle need to be lifted to open the catch / door

Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 10:02pm

Thanks hon, that's a good idea!! I think I vaguely remember my mum doing that when I was little!

Moonshine

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 11:14pm

glad to be of help! We are currently stairgated / playpenned up to the eyeballs with no sign of release anytime soon!! lol

Good luck with childminding. I'm a nursery worker and take my kiddies with me - the best thing about being at work is I get to see my bubbas when I want to :D