You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kd40

Ace

• "kd40" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: One cheeky boy

Monday, July 11th 2011, 7:35pm

How much milk should a 10 month old have

Hello

Sorry if this has been asked before - but how much formula should a 10 month old have?

DS is a big eater - and has breakfast, lunch and dinner. He's also been having a bottle after each meal (about 6 oz)
Then at playgroup two other mums (one with an 9 month old and one with a 13 month old) said - oh he's still having milk? - apprently theirs don't.

I thought he shoudl have milk for all the vitamins etc. He usually has weetabix for beakfast, bread and bits for lunch and then a jar or what we have for dinner.

My mum suggested dropping his moring bottle - which we sucessfully did yesterday - but gave him it today because DH gave him his breakfast and he only ate half (not blaming DH for that but he eats it all with me! ;) )
:BFP: Dec 2009 - IVF 1st try - our little miracle!
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

United Kingdom

Reg: Jun 13th 2010

Monday, July 11th 2011, 8:07pm

Sounds fine to me! I gave my DS a bottles of milk for way longer than the 'guidelines'. Milk is really good for them!As long as it's not slowing down his weaning and he's still eating I wouldn't cut it down. We dropped DS morning bottle to try and get him to eat breakfast......he's four now and has never liked breakfast!

Beautiful boy born in January 2007
TTC second since March 2009
Luteal phase defect - 4 rounds clomid
BFP 14.2.2012 - 2 beautiful heartbeats seen EDD 22nd Oct - Its a boy and a girl!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Monday, July 11th 2011, 9:15pm

Mine were still on 4 milk feed per day at 10 months of between 5-7oz as well as their solid food.

I would say go with what your little one wants at this age, he still needs his milk and food is seen as experimentation until about 12 months, rather than their main source of fuel.

I dropped their two middle of the day bottles fairly close together for two reasons. Firstly, they were drinking less at their 2pm feed (only 3oz or so) so that indicated to me that they didn't really want it. I replaced it with a sippy cup of water and a small snack and that was fine. Secondly, I noticed that they were eating very little lunch all of a sudden and it was becoming quite a battle. After a post on here, it was suggested that they may no longer require their morning bottle (which had never occured to me!!) so once I dropped that and replaced it with a small snack and water they ate a lot more and life started to get so much easier!

He will soon let you know when he's ready to cut down so just go with it and look out for signs that he wants to change. There's no harm at all in giving him milk to drink at whatever age so don't worry that you're over-feeding him.

x

Moonshine

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 6:56am

Hiya, KD,
Between 6months and a year you baby should be having around 1pint of milk a day, that's 20oz. This includes milk in cereals and other foods. So what you are doing is perfect. And you are right, he needs the calcium and other nutrients from milk, so your friend with the 9 month old ought to be making an effort to get her LO to have milk, cheese and yogurt.

joL

Ace

Reg: Oct 8th 2009

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 8:22pm

My little man was 10mths yesterday and is alos a big eater! he had his hv visit abt a fortnight ago and was 2 stone!!! no wonder iv been getting a sore back haha!up until this visit he was having 4 8oz btls per day along with all his food! the Hv said he should b down to 2 maybe 3!!!! i was like omg he will starve! he loves his bottle! so i decided i would reduce the 2 afternoon 1s from 8 to 5 oz!!! now have reduced them to 4oz as he seems fine! and tbh its getting a bit of a struggle to get him to take his btls at all
JoJo xx

:BFP: 25th Dec 09 au naturale
Bouncing baby boy Lee 9lb65oz. 11th sept 2010

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 8:52am

Hey KD - my two are 9 months old now and they are still on 4 bottles a day of 5-6 oz each. The advice from my HV is that they should be getting at least 20oz of milk (breast or formula) until they are 1 year old and then they can go onto full fat milk.

2 users apart from you are browsing this thread:

2 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE