You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 9:00pm

Safety catches for kitchen cupboard doors with frames

Hi

Does anyone have safety catches for kitchen cupboards/drawers which are set within a frame? I bought a batch of safety catches but because of the frames they aren't suitable. I think we could attach a piece of wood first but there must be some on the market for this style of kitchen cupboards? Does anyone know/use/have any (preferably ones which aren't on show).

The children are actually very good at only opening the one cupboard i let them empty (all plastic stuff!) but i'm thinking that at 16 months they've probably not reached the real mischievous age!

Thanks in advance
x

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 10:53pm

Hi Duffy :smile:

We decided to get cupboard catches ages ago after Nancy found the mustard powder and emptied the lot on herself when I turned my back on her for a millisecond! Not sure if the ones we have are suitable for your cupboards Drawer and Cupboard Catches White - 12pk **not a FZ endorsed link**

I hope you find some that work.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 8:30am

what kind of handles do you have? My friend swears by elastic bands connecting two handles so that neither cupboard can be opened.
I haven't bothered with cupboard latches myself - I have an 'over the cupboard' towel holder hook that is wide enough to go across the top of the two under the sink cupboard doors (the ones with the dangerous stuff in). Despite being a complete minx Martha has actually been ok with the cupboards. I do have her play kitchen in the kitchen though, so she tends to just fiddle around with that 'copying' me.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 2:44pm

That's a good point Jen, when we stay at my mums we use elastic bands on some of the cupboards.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Friday, July 15th 2011, 12:34pm

I was going to say I have plastic ones that go over the handles bought them from Smyths on a three for 2, no screwing in. x

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Friday, July 15th 2011, 2:20pm

We have Baby Dan magnetic locks and are very pleased with them so far. They are either fixed with adhesive or screwed in (we have screwed ours in.) There's a movie showing how they function, but I can't find English commentary :snigger: Crouching toddler hidden cupboard lock

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Friday, July 15th 2011, 4:29pm

Our kitchen has actually had locks on all the cupboards since we moved in and we've never removed them as were always trying for a family! They are great because they are screwed inside the door and have a hook, but you can also turn them 90 degrees, which effectively turns them off and you can use the door as normal. We have always kept them off, but are looking forward to turning them on! xxx

Peppa

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 10:14pm

Jensqui - what a great idea about the over door tea towel rail! I have one of those rails but never thought about sliding it accross both doors so that C can't get into them, i will be doing that now though. My dd only seems to be interested in the cupboards containing food (she's just like her father) but you cant be too careful

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, August 8th 2011, 5:21pm

Thanks for the replies. Only taken me 3 weeks to reply :O

Jens - I think the elastic band might work, or maybe string that's un-'pingable' - the twins tend to try things together and four hands are stronger than two! Sadly we only have one cupboard which has handles close enough...

Since writing this post, they're still only opening the *safe* cupboards but I still want to sort it. Scarletty I shall check out the magnet things but gotta feeling they won't work for ours. PP I shall look at your suggestion too - thanks :D

Here's a pic of them; because of the frames there's no adjacent wood (i.e. the sides/ceilings) of the cupboards that you can affix stuff to. They do have sides and ceilings but they're set back a bit.

Anyway, I shall write again if/when I find something which works!

x

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl: