You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Gemma1" started this thread

Reg: Apr 19th 2008

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 7:43pm

employer took 9 weeks to arrange a meeting upon my sending my 'return to work' letter

Im after some assistance please

I sent a letter to HR in May stating that I wanted to return to work the end of August. I had an email back from HR saying they would be in touch. As I heard nothing I contacted HR the begining of July asking what was going on as LO starts nursery within 2 weeks and I had only booked nursrey for 3 days a week (if they turn down my request to work from home 1 day a week I can no longer change the nursery days). HR said they had done nothing with my letter and that they would arrange a meeting as soon as possible, a meeting was arrange 3 weeks later.

Is it legal for them to take so long to arrange the meeting?

I am panicing a bit in case they say no to me working from home

Also, my contract hours at 9am-530pm. However in real life I always started work a lot earlier than this to attend meetings in Devon for example at 9am. I put in my letter that I need to drop LO off every morning at 8am, and that this was within my contract hours but wanted to mention it out of courtisy. Legally what can they say about this?

Thank you
:cat:

1x IVF zero fert, 2x ICSI BFN, 1x FET BFN, 1x ICSI early loss

March 2010, FET , :BFP:, we have a little princess x

Reg: Apr 12th 2010

Monday, July 18th 2011, 7:26pm

Hi Gemma

I'm not a HR expert but had some problems going back to work after my LO (FWIW me and my boss fell out in a big way but everything's ok now :) )

So your meeting is in the next week or two? i don't think that they have legally done anything wrong in not getting things organised properly but its not very reassuring for you is it? they do have a duty of care to keep in touch with you in some way during any absence from work.

I would go to it with an open mind, i wouldn't talk about legalities until you're sure they are being deliberately difficult (hopefully not!), make it clear that you are definitely (and happily) going back to work - don't be pressurised to confirm anything if you're not happy, ask to have a follow up meeting if necessary.
They are legally obliged to consider a request for family friendly working, If they do decline you working from home (and their rejection is reasonable) then explain that you need some time to look at childcare since you had no choice but to go ahead and make plans when they didn't respond. Perhaps they would consider this as a trial period of working from home?

I don't think that needing to drop your LO off at nursery at 8am is unreasonable since thats the time which most open at, i think you did right to mention it out of courtesy though. What kind of meetings are they? can you be involved in organising the time?

Good luck, its hard being away from work and wondering if there is something sinister with how you are being treated - for me there was but hopefully for you its just HR being useless!
Laura
Miracle baby #2 on board, due 5th April 2011

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 8:14am

Hi Gemma

Not sure on the legalities of it but as a common courtesy they should have been quicker, HR were I used to work was pretty useless it was always me chasing, chasing and making appointments as I (like you) needed to sort out childcare for my LO.

In relation to your working hours they are what they are and you cant be forced to do extra (the fact that you have been shows commitment to the job though which is probably something worth mentioning, for brownie points if nothing else).

Good luck, hopefully like lollygirl siad its just HR being useless and nothing else. x

• "Gemma1" started this thread

Reg: Apr 19th 2008

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 7:04pm

Thanks both

Before I went on maternity leave (but not from 8 months pg) I was I was on the road at 4am at least once a week. This is just the type of work I do, however when I was pg I did manage and choose which meetings I went to of which in the end I did not travel at all, and the client still sent a letter to my director stating how happy they where with my projects and asked for me to go back on those projects upon my return so if work get 'funny' I am going to use this as an example that I can effectivly mange my work.

My life has changed so my work will have to too
:cat:

1x IVF zero fert, 2x ICSI BFN, 1x FET BFN, 1x ICSI early loss

March 2010, FET , :BFP:, we have a little princess x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE