You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "BooBoo" started this thread

Reg: Jul 15th 2009

Children: one perfect little girl

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 1:25am

when will a routine be establised when BF

hi peeps.
I've been BFing for 2 weeks nearly and at the moment i'm feeding on demand. I've been speaking to a friend who's BFing her 15 week old dd at the moment and she said she got her dd into a feeding routine of every 3 hrs more or less straight away. Has anyone else had success like this? If she starts a feed at 7am she will offer another feed at 10am no matter how long the previous feed was for. I like the thought of a routine but at the moment i'm feeding my dd as and when she wants to build my milk supply. Which is the more normal way of doing things?

Many thanks xxx

1st ICSI :BFN: ;(
2nd ICSI :BFP: happydance

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 1:51am

Hi there,
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.
I've just been reading your other thread - can't believe those m/ws - they clearly don't understand how breastfeeding works! Good for you, sticking to your guns.
If I were you I'd forget trying to establish a feeding routine. As long as your baby is feeding well, and is alert, peeing and pooing, baby led feeding is definitely the best option.
The only thing I'd look at is the length of time she's on the breast. She probably only feeds for around a third of that hour, the rest of the time is spent resting and comfort sucking. You could try chivvying her along a bit, so she gets her tummy filled up sooner and is more likely to have shorter feeds. It's the frequency of feeds that determines your supply rather than the length of feeds. Can you tell the difference between feeding sucks and comfort ones? (the feeding ones are longer and deeper, with the action involving the whole jaw, and you hear the baby swallowing, whereas comfort sucking is more nibbly, with the action under the chin and the baby isn't actually eating.)
Try to stop worrying and just go with the flow! :)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:28am

Hi there. I demand fed from start to finish. C settled into his own pattern of 3-4 hours between feeds but I honestly do not remember how long it took for him to get there. I firmly believe that demand feeding is best as it teaches baby to listen to his/her body from the beginning and eat when hungry and not to to eat if you are not hungry. Forced routine on the other hand teaches baby that when it is time to eat you have to eat whether you are hungry or not and that could lead to weight problems later - this is a personal opinion so don't take it as law.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Reg: May 30th 2010

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 4:32pm

Hi BooBoo.

Congratulations for being a new mummy :-) At first I really wanted to have some routine as I thought that would make my life easier. Instead it made me quite frustrated. Than I realised I just wanted to enjoy this precious time no matter how often I feed so decided to go with the flow and to learn breastfeeding in public :-) It worked really well and I actually realised that my baby does have her own routine: eating every two hours! But I think she is quite a hungry little girl so yours might feed less frequent. The only thing which we were strict with is bedtime routine so by now she only wakes up once during the night. According to our health visitor that's why she feeds so frequently during the day to make up for the night.

I think the routine was established by the time she was around 2 month old.

xxx Rianon

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "rianon" (Jul 24th 2011, 4:35pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 8:49pm

Hi hun

Both my DD's have been fed on demand. DD2 feeds every 2-3 hours in the day with cluster feeds in the morning and evening, she now sleeps a bit longer at night too.

My mum fed every 4 hours with me, she found it was better for her that way so it really is personal choice.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

• "BooBoo" started this thread

Reg: Jul 15th 2009

Children: one perfect little girl

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:43pm

thanks for you reply's huns.
It seems demand feeding comes out on top. I was just interested to know if this was what most people do. As u can guess with my other thread, i'm new to BFing and i'm just starting to get my head around it.
My friend said she read a book about BF and routine while she was preg and it made me feel really unorganised cos i'd not done this. If i'm honest i didn't think i'd get this far with BFing and now i'm just going with the flow.
Anyway today i started Lydies feeds at 7 then did the next one at 10 but come 12 she was hungry so it wasn't possible to wait until 1 for the next feed. So i just fed on demand again but made sure it was no longer than 3 hr intervals. I've been watching the times she feeds and i think she might be on her own 2:5 hr schedule.

Me and dh took her out for some tea today and so i had to feed in public for the first time. It wasn't too bad actually so i think the best way at the moment is demand feeding and just feeding in public so i'm not housebound.

Its all new to us but we're getting there. Its been almost 2 weeks and things are going well , its just the tiredness at night thats hard but all normal .

Thanks again ladies xxxxxx

1st ICSI :BFN: ;(
2nd ICSI :BFP: happydance

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, July 25th 2011, 12:04am

Sounds like you're doing really well, having the confidence to feed in public at 2 weeks!! :clap

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE