You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Geordie" started this thread

Reg: May 12th 2007

Thursday, August 18th 2011, 8:48pm

Weaning 7month prem twins ... Aaargghh!!

Hello All

Emilia and Taylor were born at 34wks. They have both suffered with reflux and i was advised to start weaning at 24wks. I have had differing success and now 4wks in I feel like I am going backwards rather than forwards. Neither of them are sitting up yet, Emilia is keen somedays and not others and seems to forget how to eat each day. Taylor loves to eat but eating does not seem to be agreeing with either since both are just sick all the time. They take 4-5 bottles per day and have naturally started to reduce what they are taking at lunch/tea time. They have been taking porridge at 10.30 - 11am plus their bottle because they will not take porridge when they wake at 7.30am, then lunch/bottle at 1.30-2pm. I had a weaning advisor come round from surestart who tried to encourage me to feed solids at normal meal times i.e 7ish, 12ish, 5ish but the twins arent having it and they are not taking an evening meal yet. They have become very unsettled, have lots of poo's, lots of sick and today I'd just had enough and restricted them to milk and they have been two very happier babies.

Question is would I have been better off weaning from their corrected age which would make them 6months in 2 weeks time? I'm just at my wits end with it all and surely it shouldn't be this difficult? I think Taylor should continue on some solids as he is a big hungry baby but definately not 3 meals a day and he does watch us eat now but Emilia is totally disinterested. Its really getting me down and the sick is such an issue and the Baby Gaviscon isn't helping at all with the reflux.

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 18th 2011, 9:28pm

Hiya
My twins were born at 35 weeks and we started BLW when they were 6 months old, they didn't really start eating until they were 7.5 months old but I tried to be relaxed and it has paid off. They are fantastic eaters and I really wish I'd weaned my 3 year old the same way.

I didn't worry too much about 'set' meal times. For a while (and for various reason's) they were having their 'evening' meal at 3.30pm. Meal times do become normal but there isn't any hurry in the early day's.

A good high chair will suppport them until they are sitting up well. It has really worked well for me and meal times are a doddle with them feeding themselves but I appreciate it isn't for everyone.

Good luck
xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Thursday, August 18th 2011, 9:42pm

My twins were born at 33 weeks and I actually weaned them at 16 weeks on medical advice as DD2 is allergic to milk. Those first few months were unbelievably frustrating and I did not believe that I would ever get them eating proper meals. It takes a massive amount of patience but slowly but surely they began to increase the quantity, lumpiness etc. And one day I realised that they were eating three proper meals a day.

The Annabel Karmel cookbook has a useful timetable for milk and solids when weaning and we roughly followed that.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, August 19th 2011, 11:04am

Hi Geordie,

My twins weren't prem, however G had laryngomalacia (floppy larynx and poor oesophageal muscle tone) and the M was in plaster from chest to ankles for a hip problem. At 6 months neither of them could sit unaided, M couldn't fit in a high chair and the only way I could feed them was in two bouncy chairs. Definitely not ideal as they couldn't sit up straight, M was a very refluxy baby so I really worried about weaning her. I wanted to do baby led weaning, but because of the seating issue I decided it would be safer not to and started off with purees.

It was a loooonnng slowwww process and I thought they would never get there. They puked, gagged, choked and I really didn't know what to do with them! I found the whole feeding schedule so complicated it seemed like we were forever feeding and practically house-bound. We certainly didn't start out with three meals a day - it took many months to get to that point. For me it was "as and when". All the advice out there is great for parents of singletons with more time to invest, but the sheer logistics of trying to feed multiples who are having difficulties, plus give milk feeds, plus cleaning up puke, bathing one/both of them depending on how far it reached, changing your clothes, doing the laundry of said vomity clothes is some days impossible.

Molly was actually on purees until 13 months, any lumps just caused her to gag and puke. Then, one day she grabbed a lump of bread from my plate and ate it - we've not looked back since! G coped a little better but I fed them mostly the same as I didn't have enough hours in the day to do seperate meals. I tried cooking and pureeing my own food - but there were not enough hours in the day so I gave up and opted for the easy life of jars of food. I felt guilty about it - but they continued to grow and thrive and actually they had a greater variety of flavours from bought food than I would have had energy and money to do myself!

Sorry if I've waffled a little! The point I am trying to make is don't stress about it - it is a long slow road and isn't going to happen in a week or even a month. Each baby is different and will cope in different ways - you know your babies better than anyone and it's up to you what you try and when. If they don't take to something, leave it for a few weeks and try again. Three meals a day is of course ideal and that is your aim, but for now just try little bits of things when you think they will be most acceptible to it. You won't be holding them back or delaying their progress and by the time they are 2 they will be eating just fine! Remember to look after yourself in this equation too. It is stressful and it is hard work, so do what you can to make life easy for yourself and don't feel guilty!!

Good luck hon x

Moonshine

MacMummy

Superstar

United Kingdom

Friday, August 19th 2011, 12:40pm

Hi Geordie,

My girls were born at 36+4 and I started to wean using BLW at 6 months but they really just played with the food and weren't all that bothered by it until they were about 7.5 months, I felt then that they werent getting enough using BLW so I started a combo of both letting them eat themselves & me feeding them, this worked great and all was then wolfed down!
They are now 20 months and can feed themselves a complete meal using cutlery, well a spoon as there is no way I would let them have a fork!!!

I made all their food using the Annabel Karmel books & she has good advice too.

Just try to go with the flow & trust your instincts as a Mummy, it takes time but we are nearly always right!!

MM x

:girl: :girl:

twin girls

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MacMummy" (Aug 19th 2011, 12:42pm)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 6:41pm

Evening!

Not twins but DD1 born at 32 weeks, rotten reflux and a milk allergy. I weaned her ridiculously early, on her consultant's advice which meant she was about 11 weeks corrected I think. We didn't do too badly as she was quite keen to eat (think it was a relief after all the horrible milk substitute stuff!).

Re. reflux - you need someone to help you - gaviscon wasn't enough for DD1 and it isn't for other kids with moderate - severe reflux. DD1 ended up on ranitidine and domperidone. Tried omeprezole but that seemed to make her worse.

I know its no help now but she did eventually grow out of it, although she was over 2 before then. And she still gets 'refluxy' times e.g. dancing, skipping, swimming, jumping in a soft play etc - now she coughs when she does those things as she can feel the acid come up and 'tickle' her throat. I spend a lot of time saying 'swallow, not cough'!

Anyway, little refluxers is a good site (can't remember the site address but it'll come up if you google it). Try your HV, try your GP, try anyone who'll listen as getting the right help makes such a difference.

Wishing you lots of luck.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

• "Geordie" started this thread

Reg: May 12th 2007

Sunday, August 21st 2011, 8:27pm

Wow, thanks ever so much all, lots of great advice!!!!!. First and foremost I have listened to you all and yes I have relaxed!!!!!!. There is so much pressure to conform and reading all your stories, everyone has had very differing experiences of weaning so I am not alone and that makes me feel a whole lot better. They are managing a small bowl of porridge about 9.30am and a small puree lunch at about 1.30. They won't drop their 4 daily bottles which are at very set times so this is a good compromise that they take the solids an hour or two after their breakfast and lunchtime bottle and I'm no longer stressed that they're not eating at so called 'regular' mealtimes. I'm not gonna bother with trying to fit a 3rd meal in just yet. Emilia is still very much on and off whether shes in the mood for it but Taylor is enjoying it and now I'm not giving them the solids at the same time as their bottles I have had less sick and reflux which has been a huge bonus. I still can't lie them down, change bums, let them roll around or jig them about after milk/food otherwise they just chuck up with their reflux but I've never been able to do that. They had the ranitidine at about 3-4 months old but I found it gave them tummy ache and didnt actually help so the gaviscon has been better. I'm just used to doing a lot of washing and going through a million bibs per day.

I am using the Annabel Karmel book but keeping it simple at the moment and too much fruit seems to exaserbate their reflux as does yogurt.

Thanks moonshine for the matter of fact 'Day in a life with twins'. You had my life off to a T!!! ..... I had to giggle!!!

Well like I say I feel a whole lot better thats its not as straight forward as they make out so am more prepared to go with the flow and bimble along at their speed. We'll get there!!!!

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Geordie" (Aug 21st 2011, 8:29pm)

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests