You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Louieb" started this thread

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 1:29pm

confused by consultant - is he really 5 months?!

Hi. Our son is just over 6 months old and was born at 37+3 which we were told is officially term. We see a consultant because he had some trouble when he was born. Last time we saw her she said that because he was 3 wks early his development would be closer to a 5 month old. No one has ever said this to us before & he seems like an average 6 month old to me! We started weaning (he absolutely LOVES his purees) but now I'm confused about what food to give him when - should we be looking at guidance for 5 months or 6? Should we give finger foods yet? I asked her but her answer was a bit vague. Any help appreciated. We tried BLW but he didn't like it much - he got very frustrated and my heart was in my mouth the whole time!

LB

IUI x 5 :BFN:
IVF / ICSI June 10 :BFP:
LO arrived Feb 11

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 2:50pm

Hi hon,

As far as I understand it you go by actual age not adjusted age for weaning and injections. For weight & developmental milestones you go by adjusted. My little boy was 5 weeks early and I was told to start weaning him at 4 months (medical reasons) which would only have been 2 months 3 weeks adjusted!!!! As it happens I didn't start til he was 5 months as he didn't seem ready and by 6 months he was having finger food with his purees as I remember. Do what works for you and your LO - all babies are different in any case and what one is ready for at 6 months may be totally different for another.

Good luck, don't know if that rambly post helped or confused more! :snigger: xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 2:56pm

Hi hun

I had one person at the baby clinic say that about our DD1, she was born at 37 + 1 and was considered full term. I was advised to wean a bit earlier than 6 months due to her weight gain dropping off and started with purées, I gave her stuff for 6 month olds when she was 6 months and finger foods with no ill effects. I have always been lead to believe that if your baby is born at 37 weeks you treat them like a full term baby, for example in their red book the weight is put in as if they were born at 40 weeks and you are expected to wean at 26 weeks. I was told when I started to wean DD1 a list of things I could give her when she was 6 months by the baby clinic, that was 18 months ago so things may have changed since then but I am sure if you phone your HV or go to your local baby clinic they can make things a little clearer for you.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Reg: Jan 21st 2010

Children: A gorgeous boy born 2012

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 4:06pm

Not sure what your consultant is on about. 36 completed weeks onwards is term. We wouldn't normally adjust their age unless their born less than this.

My advice - do what you'd normally do and use your motherly intuition which seems pretty well in tune!

x

1st ICSI May 2011- : :BFP: Gorgeous Roan safe and sound

FET August 2013 :BFN:
Incredible natural :BFP: August 2014 (fingers crossed)
McFlozzer's Marvellous Mission to Make a Mini-Me

• "Louieb" started this thread

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 7:49pm

Thanks guys. Nice to hear some reassuring words. :) Keep finding recipes I want to try!

IUI x 5 :BFN:
IVF / ICSI June 10 :BFP:
LO arrived Feb 11

Reg: May 12th 2007

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 8:52pm

Good luck with the weaning Louie. I've been having similar worries about my twins but have decided to chill and go at their pace. They were born at 34+2. I started weaning at 24wks and I've had varying success. They are now seven and a half months and still only taking small amounts of puree twice a day. I'm just gonna carry on with what i think they need and not worry too much about getting them up to 3 meals a day yet, at set meal times or of varying ingredients. They still only take simple porridge, veg or fruit. No meat, dairy or finger foods yet as they just chuck up and they take it at bizarre times but it'll sort itself out in time. Best of luck!!!!

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

Reg: May 30th 2010

Friday, August 26th 2011, 6:51pm

Hi, I agree with people babies are individuals and have their on timings even babies born on due dates tend to be ready for weaning at different ages. You are his mum you know better than anyone. 6 month is only a guideline. x

Reg: May 30th 2010

Friday, August 26th 2011, 7:09pm

Forgot to write what i actually wanted that you are doing fantastic giving him purees what he enjoys and waiting with finger food what he doesn't enjoy (yet)

Rianon

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, August 26th 2011, 7:26pm

Officially 37 weeks is term, and 40 weeks is full term. I wouldn't worry about what the consultant said, it's not really important - a difference of less than 3 weeks at that point in pregnancy is not significant.
For weaning, I would really go with what feels right for your little one. I did BLW and spent the whole of the first year chanting "food is for fun until they are one". Because they didn't eat and although I tried to remain relaxed about it, my in-laws thought I was starving my children. They gagged so impressively, and it was hard to believe that any food actually went into their bellies after taking a look at the devastation that was the kitchen floor. But, as with all things, it got easier! I did some spoon feeding too, of cereals, and it seems that most people mix it up with some spoon feeding and some finger foods. But again, every child is unique and you do whatever feels right.

B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Blue" (Aug 26th 2011, 7:27pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE